Soon to be new dive site!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, are we cut off from any news, or is it just abysmally slow as usual? :biggrin:

I had 'heard' that they were having to do some landscaping work and handrail construction to meet insurance or codes...something like that...so it had delayed the parks opening.

As long as they don't have to install sprinklers in the lake to protect the structures against fire... :wink:

"landscaping"? yes, there had to be some fences installed but I don't consider that landscaping. Yes, they are installing handrails on the floating docks. Which can be very nice with new students and can be a little shaky with the heavy gear.

I'd ask if there's a shadow of an opening date on the horizon yet, but considering that all my dive buddies around Baton Rouge seem to be working toward a life in politics (promise large, then back out), I've basically written them all off. Once I'm a DM, I can charge them money, which might raise the follow-through level a bit (well, or at least give me free money when they back out... again).

When there is anything, of course, don't hesitate to mention it. I'm still checking the three sites with my morning reading everyday, but I'm likely to get bored with virtual lithology eventually, so you may be our only hope. (Don't worry, we won't start calling you Obi or anything. :biggrin:)

I had some down time today so while driving I called and spoke to Mike @ Hydrosports Scuba to get a status report.

He confirmed that some work with the rails, etc. had to be completed but aside from that didn't think the lake was ready to open just yet.

He said that after they treated the lake with flocculant a couple of weeks ago they had 15' visibility and that it was very good. However with the heavy breezes for the last couple of weeks it caused the visibility to deteriorate to very low again and that he didn't want to open with those conditions. They are trying to make some provisions to block the wind as well and then will retreat with flocculant again and go from there.

Mike said he expected that to all take place in the next 2 to 3 weeks. No firm opening date yet, and he asked for patience.

He's a very nice and forthcoming guy and I'd suggest if you have further questions, or are just curious, that you give him a call at Hydrosports Scuba.

Hope this helps a bit.

It is official!!!

Mammoth Lake will be opening to the public Saturday March 29th, 2008 @ 8:00 am. Insurance was approved this afternoon which is allowing for the opening this weekend. Several staff divers were in the water today and reported visibility of 10’+ and water temperature of 67degrees.

For any other information contact Hydrosports Scuba at 979-285-0600 or hsports@swbell.net.

Lake entry $20 per person per day (cash or check only)
Tank rental $12
Tank fills $6

ML

GAAAAAAAH!!! I'm at Vortex working a checkout trip as a DMC this weekend! :D

Well, guess I'll try to get the April 5th weekend going. :biggrin:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom