Soon to be new dive site!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are expecting about 65'-70' for max. depth. It is not going to be a "Clipper Saga" cause staff is already diving the lake working on different stuff.

Just want to make sure that everything is ready before the lake is open. Cause if it is open early and not great it doesn't take long with the internet to get a bad public face.

You have been great about keeping the Tx. dive community up to sppeed on the new sites progress!!

Curious....how are you affiliated with the business...you probably have said.....I just don't remember--sorry. ?

I am a shop DiveCon(in training).

That is great....we appr. the updates.....I hope to get down to the site once open for diving.

Yes, Michael- I too want to thank you for keeping us abreast of the news regarding this new dive site. We're excited to try it out, but I think the philosophy of having it "right" before you begin is a good idea. It's going to be a hit!

For those who are watching this thread, let me be the first to post that new photos were recently added to the gallery. Go check them out. We'll wait...

...waiting...

Okay, then. According to the Hydrosports Scuba web site, Mammoth Lake is opening "Spring 2008". I can hardly wait.

(Looks like my birthday won, the SDI Solo Diver course will come in second this weekend, then the DM course actually has a class date on Wednesday, J. arrives from Japan the following Sunday, and once her vacation is over, the DM class is to begin in earnest. Will I finish that one before diving Mammoth Lake, or will organizing a trip out there be one of the first things I get to be responsible for? The jury remains out.)

Incidentally, if there are any updates (or any non-news to note in the meantime), could someone fill us in again? :D

Yes, It was good to see the new ramp Saturday. They are suppose to add the other handrail this week.

There is a timeline to have everything ready to open March 1st. And maybe a pro-weekend before that were shops are invited to get an advice chance to check the lake out. There is still alot to do so I am sure that everyone at ML will be busy.

Also don't forget to stop by the booth at the Texas Dive Show. The last weekend in Jan.

We were back in Mammoth Lake again this weekend working. The new ramp is a big improvement over walking up the bank. The water is was cool 64 degrees so a 5 mil and hood were in order for me to get in the water. We relocated the first training platform and installed a new platform. We also reattached the bouys to the yellow sub and F-5. Since we where at the sub we figured we would make a quick dive cause the water has raised several foot since me or my dive buddy have dove the sub. Raise the bouy on one of the fire trucks cause it was underwater. Removed some cables from the "Concrete Sailboat". We were wondering about the depth of the ML so I check it with both my computer and a ruller. Computer depth was 54' and tape measure is 56'.

We were wondering about the depth of the ML so I check it with both my computer and a ruler. Computer depth was 54' and tape measure is 56'.
The computer almost certainly measures and reads in "feet of salt water". Since it's a freshwater site, multiply by 34 feet (fresh water) per 33 fsw, and it's 56 feet deep, so the two measurements agree. That should mean I can get a rather lot of bottom time in. :biggrin:

Have they given any thought yet to hours of operation? Might it be like Vortex Spring, where the shop and fill station are open until whenever, but if you've been registered and diving, you can continue night diving until later? Or will it be more like Alabama Blue Water Adventures, where they close the quarry at 5 or 6pm, with only occasional weekend night diving except by group appointment?

(I figure it doesn't hurt to ask the questions early, as long as I'm content with what may be a long wait for the answers. :biggrin:)

I am not sure on the hours right now. I am sure most of it will depend on time of year and number of people diving. Right now it is dark at 600 but during the summer can be light until 900 so I am sure they will be open a little later during the summer. I am sure during the summer when there are more people wanting to make a night dive the lake will be open later.

There is only one place that is 56' deep most of the lake is closer to 30'-35' range. I am sure you can get some good bottom times.

We were back in Mammoth Lake again this weekend working. The new ramp is a big improvement over walking up the bank. The water is was cool 64 degrees so a 5 mil and hood were in order for me to get in the water. We relocated the first training platform and installed a new platform. We also reattached the bouys to the yellow sub and F-5. Since we where at the sub we figured we would make a quick dive cause the water has raised several foot since me or my dive buddy have dove the sub. Raise the bouy on one of the fire trucks cause it was underwater. Removed some cables from the "Concrete Sailboat". We were wondering about the depth of the ML so I check it with both my computer and a ruller. Computer depth was 54' and tape measure is 56'.

By comparing the 10-28 and 12-16 picts of the sub it looks like the water has risen a couple of feet or so in that time span. What is the anticipated max depth of the area when full?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom