Son Is Neutral But Foot-Heavy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife, 17-year-old daughter, and I have no problem with motionless horizontal trim.

Our 19-year-old son is a different story. He's extremely lean; and although neutral, it seems that he's very foot-heavy -- as soon as he stops finning, his feet drop down until his body is at a 45-degree angle or more.

We've already got him with only 1/3 of his ballast in his BC's quick-release pockets and 2/3 in his BC trim pockets. We just got him some newer, lighter fins, and moved his tank as high up toward his head as possible (AL, so I'm not sure how much that helps). But still, 45 degrees...

I just ordered him a couple of XScuba weight pockets for his tank straps, which will move some of his weight a bit further up on his body. We'll see how that works when we go to Grand Cayman in a couple weeks.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm not sure how much I like the idea of slinging weights around his valve...

You only have so many options. Weight, lift and lever arms = trim.

If you've thrown as much weight forward as possible, where is the lift and where are his feet? Can the lift move back or his feet move forward?

I'm the one on the left in my avatar. If I extend my legs from that position, I'll tilt foot-down. The further back they go, the tiltier I'd get.

I have those XS pouches with my singles rig to put 4# on the upper cam strap. But I can do a whole lot more with my leg position than with those little pouches.

How about putting some weights on the BC shoulder straps,high as possible.? I use 2, 1lb weights on my Nomad. Works great.

Arms out, feet in...

GoodViz2.jpg

I can do a whole lot more with my leg position than with those little pouches.

Arms out, feet in...

You know, now that you-all mention it, he does tend to dive with his legs extended more or less straight out. In my case, I think my legs are neutral -- doesn't make much difference to my trim where I have them, so it's hard for me to experience how much difference leg position can make.

Thanks!

BP/W +/- a steel tank will also help sift weight up without having to pile it on his head.

2lb ankle-weight around tank valve might help too.

How about putting some weights on the BC shoulder straps,high as possible.?

BP/W +/- a steel tank will also help sift weight up without having to pile it on his head.

2lb ankle-weight around tank valve might help too.

Not sure a BP/W would shift weight farther up than where it is now.

Yeah, steel tank would work better, but there's not always that option when renting tanks.

Shifting weight still farther up to where it's not really designed to be seems like an extreme solution.

I think experimenting around with leg position might be a better next step for now.

You know, now that you-all mention it, he does tend to dive with his legs extended more or less straight out. In my case, I think my legs are neutral -- doesn't make much difference to my trim where I have them, so it's hard for me to experience how much difference leg position can make.

Thanks!

What kind of suits? Natural buoyancy is mostly a balance between bone and air filled cavities. Soft tissues are pretty close to the specific gravity of water. So, everyone's legs are negatively buoyant, as are their heads (lots of bone, not much air in sinuses) — hold jokes about California blonds for later.

So, the question is balance in the water. It is either thicker wetsuit or drysuit insulation on the legs, less on the torso, or shifting weight higher. Large weights strapped around the neck may have undesirable characteristics though. :wink:

You like that photo don't you? How many times have you posted it?? :D

At least 25, I'm betting.

I won't call foul, though. I like it too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom