Something remarkable in quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@GreggS

We have dove the quarries a few times in past years but with our new drysuits we joined again to get in practice dives. I don’t know if you noticed but the newest Quarry Manager for American Quarry, Devan, has made a lot of updates and it’s still a work in progress.

He now has 4 bubblers and until the recent rains the viz was remarkable (for a quarry :wink:). He and his assistants have cleaned out most of the old lines and installed new hi viz roping, new marking buoys, new platforms and 2 trampolines, one on the bottom and one suspended like a platform.

He also plans to do a general clean up of the grounds and I have started restocking the First Aid kit and welcome suggestions to improve the kit.

Plans are to eventually install bubblers at all the PDRA sites.
Certainly did notice. In fact, Devon was there yesterday and he was telling me about some of the other changes he has made that I did not see (we only did one dive as my wife got chilly at the end of our first dive) and some more that he is planning on implementing. I'm excited about what he has done so far. It was he that was telling me about the plans to do the Lake Norman quarry this fall/winter and I just assumed that the JMR quarry would be next year.

The Oronogo mine in Missouri also had a system before it closed. Made a remarkable difference. I would have to look back through my books, but I remember being surprised at the jump in temps.

DW

When visiting Gray Quarry in TN, I hover above the aerator for a minute or two to enjoy the warm fizzy jacuzzi sensation.

Been considering joining NC PDRA to check out Lake Norman and American quarries, this thread is inspiration to go for it this year. Thanks for the info GreggS!

When visiting Gray Quarry in TN, I hover above the aerator for a minute or two to enjoy the warm fizzy jacuzzi sensation.

Been considering joining NC PDRA to check out Lake Norman and American quarries, this thread is inspiration to go for it this year. Thanks for the info GreggS!

Yeah, go ahead and join. We'd be more than happy to dive with you at American. Or Lake Norman. I'm 30 minutes from American, about an hour from Norman.

I dove Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio this weekend for the 1st time. Not nearly as warm as you experienced but I wonder what kind of change a system like that would have. For us it was 48*F at 45'. Apparently it was 40*F at 40' but I did not venture that far down. I only lasted about 30 min total time before it was time to get out.

The thickest I go is a 5mm and I need to try the area out before I would commit to spending more money on better cold gear. I had a great time so the saving/spending will begin, lol.

FWIW. Lake Norman has been flooded for sometime now. I *think* it still is.

In January at American I got 53 to 52 degrees. Late April 62ish. Early May 64 to 62. Mid May 66. End of May a solid 67 throughout.

Every day we go someone says “Did you see the paddlefish? They were _____.”
No! I have yet to see those dang paddlefish!

FWIW. Lake Norman has been flooded for sometime now. I *think* it still is.

In January I got 53 to 52. Late April 62ish. Early May 64 to 62. Mid May 66. End of May a solid 67 throughout.

Every day we go someone says “Did you see the paddlefish? There were _____.”
No! I have yet to see those dang paddlefish!
From what I understand, the reason LN has been flooded is that the overflow for the quarry is stopped up and nobody knows where it is. It's been flooded since early last year.

As for paddlefish, my wife and I have seen several. All that we've seen at LN have been in the cove to the left of the main entry point. We stayed in the corner closest to the parking area watching about a half dozen swimming around. We've had some swim beside us at American.

As for paddlefish, my wife and I have seen several. All that we've seen at LN have been in the cove to the left of the main entry point. We stayed in the corner closest to the parking area watching about a half dozen swimming around. We've had some swim beside us at American.
:banghead:

I have seen paddlefish in one of the PDR lakes and also in Mystery. Each time I was almost out of sight of the wall and they were almost out of sight the other way,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom