Something remarkable in quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreggS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Mods, if this better suited elsewhere, please move.

My wife and I went to one of our local quarries yesterday for our first dive of the season. It is one of three quarries belonging to the NC PDRA (NC Piedmont Diving and Rescue Association) to which we are members and this quarry is the closest one to us. I had read on their website late last year when we paid our annual dues that they had installed a system in this quarry that is supposed to regulate both visibility and temps. I really didn't know what to expect but wanted to check it out.

Wow, were we surprised and very pleased. The system involves a series of aerators placed in 4 or 5 locations that keeps the water moving. Previously, although that particular quarry drops to around 65 ffw in "the pit", we would usually not be able to go below 40 feet due to the extreme thermocline around 40 feet as well as there being a defined light line at that depth. And when I say a defined light line, I mean you could put it at eye level and see light at the top of your mask and the bottom of your mask would be totally dark. You could not see more than 1 foot even with a strong light.

Yesterday, we went to 62 feet in the pit. Although it was a little dark due to it being a mostly cloudy day, I could still see without my light. I have attached an image of my dive log from last year on June 2 and my dive log from yesterday. Last year, I did not go below 40 feet and the temperature varied with my depth. As I've already said, I went to 62 feet yesterday.

Take a look at the temperature line on both graphs. And, yes, that is correct.

They are going to install this system at one of the other quarries this fall. That quarry goes to almost 100 feet, but I've never been deeper than about 65 ffw due to the cold. I think they'll do the other quarry next year.
Temps.jpg

Mystery Lake installed one for the same reason. These quarries unlike Fantasy Lake/Lake Phoenix don't have a lot of surface area and many are shielded by the cliffs on the sides which prevents wind from helping to turn them over. The aerators are surprisingly inexpensive to operate and as you have seen are incredibly beneficial.
Incidentally, this is the same way that air dredges work as well as sponge filters for aquaria.

That’s cool, do you know if the system filters the water as well or it only circulates it ?

Scuba Ranch in Terrell Texas installed s system like this. I haven’t been there yet but I have read the thermoclines are gone down to 60 feet. The other big advantage is that vis has improved a lot.

Mystery Lake installed one for the same reason. These quarries unlike Fantasy Lake/Lake Phoenix don't have a lot of surface area and many are shielded by the cliffs on the sides which prevents wind from helping to turn them over. The aerators are surprisingly inexpensive to operate and as you have seen are incredibly beneficial.
Incidentally, this is the same way that air dredges work as well as sponge filters for aquaria.

I learned yesterday from a friend I was talking to at American Quarry that Mystery Lake had installed the system. He was telling me about the consistent temps at depth. I've not been to Mystery yet but will most likely get there this year since long distant travel is so suppressed for the time being.

That’s cool, do you know if the system filters the water as well or it only circulates it ?

I don't think this system filters the water as much as it just keeps it circulated. But I could be wrong. I don't know the full details of the system. It is supposed to help with visibility but it was hard to tell yesterday just how much it does. It was overcast most of the time we were there yesterday plus we have had a tremendous amount of rain the past few weeks...over 12" of rain over the past 2 weeks alone. I would image that if we were to have a few of weeks of rather dry weather, we might see a difference. But as I said in my OP, I could tell a vast difference in the pit. Other than being just a bit darker due to the depth, I could actually see without my light.

@BlueTrin
the system only circulates water. It creates lift from the bubbles that pull water to the surface and creates a circulating current. That helps to prevent algae blooms by bringing everything down and much if it will get caught on the bottom but there is no active filtration in the systems as designed.
You can put large sponges on them and create a giant sponge filter like an aquarium which would do active particle filtration, but there isn't much particulate in this water unless it is after a heavy rain, mainly algae.

@GreggS

We have dove the quarries a few times in past years but with our new drysuits we joined again to get in practice dives. I don’t know if you noticed but the newest Quarry Manager for American Quarry, Devan, has made a lot of updates and it’s still a work in progress.

He now has 4 bubblers and until the recent rains the viz was remarkable (for a quarry :wink:). He and his assistants have cleaned out most of the old lines and installed new hi viz roping, new marking buoys, new platforms and 2 trampolines, one on the bottom and one suspended like a platform.

He also plans to do a general clean up of the grounds and I have started restocking the First Aid kit and welcome suggestions to improve the kit.

Plans are to eventually install bubblers at all the PDRA sites.

wish I lived closer, the 3 hour drive is a bit prohibitive...
I don’t know when or even if it will happen but he has plans for more formal camp sites on his wish list.

Back
Top Bottom