Something rattling in my tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guys, this is a non issue, really...
Empty the tank on a dive. Take a rubber mallet and smack the valve to unscrew it, pull out whatever is rattling, and put the valve back in the tank, using same rubber mallet, smack the valve tight again. Go fill it, and enjoy.

Why does this board make mountains out of mole hills? Geesh!

*edit
If you don't feel comfortable diving it, then bleed the thing down really slowly. I'd guess about an hour to bleed it. Do above procedure then fill it back up. You're out the cost of an air fill. And never use that dive shop again.

You are correct, fixing a lose dip tube is not a big deal. I think what got people was the shop's attitude.

You are correct, fixing a lose dip tube is not a big deal. I think what got people was the shop's attitude.

That, and the fact that there shouldn't be anything rattling around in a tank that was just VIS'd in the first place.

I'm pretty unforgiving. If the shop said there would be a charge to fix it, i've already moved on to another LDS.

Fix it yourself, never shop there again. That's my 2cp

guys, this is a non issue, really...
Empty the tank on a dive. Take a rubber mallet and smack the valve to unscrew it, pull out whatever is rattling, and put the valve back in the tank, using same rubber mallet, smack the valve tight again. Go fill it, and enjoy.

Why does this board make mountains out of mole hills? Geesh!

*edit
If you don't feel comfortable diving it, then bleed the thing down really slowly. I'd guess about an hour to bleed it. Do above procedure then fill it back up. You're out the cost of an air fill. And never use that dive shop again.

I wouldn't use a tank if something is rattling around inside. The danger is that whatever it rattling around inside could plug the valve suddenly.

Yeah like the vice grips that some farming welding hick used his on scuba gear.

I would not dive with it if something is rattling. They should open it up and show you what the rattle was so you can be confident in your mind that the problem is fixed before going underwater.

Well........... What's the word? Did this problem ever get fixed?

speaking of tank pranks.....

since no one seemed to have gotten/noticed my "at least they didn't paint it pink and put Hello Kitty stickers all over it".....

[youtubehq]E8TZqfQ2s10[/youtubehq]

I knew what you meant, but I'm late to the party (by about 2 pages).

Also, all of the advice here is for the OP to fix this himself. He may not be as comfortable doing that as you guys are.

I know I wouldn't be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom