Something rattling in my tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, you can breathe the tank with a penny in it. I wouldn't do it to a tank that was O2 cleaned. -most of the time they don't even catch it until later in the middle of the dive.

Whoa whoa whoa. Calm down, easy with the pitchforks and the tar and feathers.

Its a dip tube, people. Every once in a while, they come off. Most of them don't have a good way to tighten them down. Its not the end of the world, you aren't going to drown, and it hasn't hurt anything.

Take the tank in, have them fix it, and enjoy you day. They probably misunderstood or something. Its really NBD. Bring your receipt and just explain what happened.

The big deal is that they are going to charge to correct their mistake. Seems they did it on purpose to get more money. No?

Hi. I recently got my tank (Catalina 80) Vized. Yesterday when I went to pick it up I heard something rattling around in there. I think it must be the tube that hangs from the valve. I called the shop and they're going to charge me to open it up again. Is there any reason I should be conserned or can I dive it AS IS?

THANKS

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. The shop owner fixed the problem and refilled my tank for free, and because of that, and the many other good things he has done for me, I have spent many thousands of dollars at his shop.

If your dive shop refuses to do the same for you, find one who will. Life is too short to deal with blithering idiots.

How about slowly bleed the tank pressure down to around 300 psi at home. Then take the tank in and INSIST ON WATCHING as they reinspect it. That way you can determine if it was in fact something they did.

Give them the benefit of the doubt that they will make it right. Most likely they will see it was something that should have been caught on the vis and not charge you for the vis or the refill. If not pay with a credit and leave (American Express preferred). Then back charge the card and find another shop.

A really smart neighboring shop would offer to do it for free in order to gain your business in the future.

How about slowly bleed the tank pressure down to around 300 psi at home. Then take the tank in and INSIST ON WATCHING as they reinspect it. That way you can determine if it was in fact something they did.

Give them the benefit of the doubt that they will make it right. Most likely they will see it was something that should have been caught on the vis and not charge you for the vis or the refill. If not pay with a credit and leave (American Express preferred). Then back charge the card and find another shop.

A really smart neighboring shop would offer to do it for free in order to gain your business in the future.
What are the other possibilities? What could be rolling around in his tank that should not have been caught during the recent visual inspection and was not the result of something they did?

With the state of financial affairs in the US and booming internet sales dominating LDS's, I believe your shop owner is shooting his ass to spite his face.:mooner:
There must be a misunderstanding else said owner is committing hari kari! Good luck.
Get Wet!

With the state of financial affairs in the US and booming internet sales dominating LDS's, I believe your shop owner is shooting his ass to spite his face.:mooner:
There must be a misunderstanding else said owner is committing hari kari! Good luck.
Get Wet!

I couldn't have said it better. Stand your ground, make them recheck your cylinder without charge. There's nothing that could have happened after the visual inspection that could be considered your fault. Either they left something inside of the cylinder or the dip tube came loose. Both of those problems were caused by the dive shop who did the inspection, either by an act of ommission (failing to check the dip tube) or commission (leaving something inside of the tank).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom