solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jord1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
EDIT-- Since I got the answer to my question and I don't want to ruin someone's mood So enjoy your day :)

Last edited:
I'm a litle bit confused.
In August I got my ow cert and I was told that solo diving was a big no go (not allowed) and it was the same on malta. But when I look on the forum you have allot of people doing it.

They say they had horrible buddies all the time and that's why the went solo. (luckily I never had buddies that bad)

Same goes for spearfishing with scuba gear, it's even illegal here and you will be looked down upon by the other divers.

My point is: is the American diving culture so different from ours ?

SDI offers a solo diving certification to divers who have a minimum of 100 logged dives. With the right techniques, mind-set and equipment it is perfectly acceptable... many divers -- instructors, photographers, folks diving with less able buddies, are solo diving but many do not realize it and nor do they plan accordingly.

Go to the SOLO scuba section and you will get better answers. This subject gets rehashed at least once a month and it never really ends well. People who choose to dive solo do so for many reasons. People who choose not to dive solo do for many reasons. That's about what it comes down to and it has nothing to do with American diving culture. People dive solo all over the world. Instructors, etc basically dive solo in just about every class they teach.

Solo is a no no for new divers. I always figure people spear fishing with scuba are doing it for food in which case it's not sport and anything goes.

I solo dive because I like diving alone. I'm a bad buddy just for that reason. If I got stuck with really bad buddy he/she would be diving alone.

Hey Jord,

it's not that different. Go to Zeeland this weekend and watch some UW photographers: almost all of them dive solo or at least continue diving alone when they get separated from their buddy. I've never heard about spearfishing in Zeeland though - I guess the bad visibility has something to do with that. Poachers seem to take lobsters instead.

Spearfishing in bad visibility isn't a good idea and in Northern European waters fish stocks generally are not that great.

Spearfishing by the way is far kinder to fish stocks than trawling. I used to have concerns about spearfishing but I have changed my opinion over the years. Having said that I won't dive where there are spearguns.

As for solo, there are people who have the skillset and mindset to do it safely - they are in the minority. Most of us prefer to share our diving experiences and work at being decent buddies. It's not a cultural thing as Crass said in his post.

Jord

As said, this topic is one that seldoms ends productive. Solo should not be a diving goal, ever. Possesing the skills and equipment to do so is another story. There are those (I included) that just like diving by myself. There is something like just going for a walk where ever the sidewalk takes you. Same for diving. There are skill sets to learn and most inportant, lots of bottom time to allow you to experience a multitude of issues that occure with yourself and your buddy. Getting rid of your buddy problems also rids yourself of the benifits of the buddy, like spare air supply. Whether it is tech, cave, wreck, or deep diving that is the appeal for you there is always a price to pay. If you do choose the solo path, you are alone and dependant on yourself only. As such you have to know your limitations and where to set boundry's for yourself, which once again is the result of lots of bottom time. For myself i set the followng limits. No deep, overhead, deco, high current, low vis, entanglement zones , ect. Could i do it? Probably. But worst case sit would be that I got in over my head and would have no one to send for help. We have bad buddy tales, and that cant be said unless we are selves are to some degree a bad buddy. Although i would tend to discourage most divers and definately any new diver from persuing solo. Having solo skills is as welcome as being able to make a filre by rubbiubg sticks. I have to admit that solo divers make good buddies.

you were probably also told to never dive in an overhead, and to always stay within recreational limits. However, with the right training, you can do those safely as well.

My point is that instructors commonly say "don't do this ever" when they mean "don't do this until you have the proper training"

I never meant to get a big argument going it's just something I was thinking about.
As new diver you tend to be molded by the people around you.

I'm sorry I hadn't seen the solo sub-forum
Thanks for the response though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom