Solo diving, or not, from the Explorer Ventures Turks & Caicos Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it is OK to quote old statements and old things written, but here -- directly from the current PADI Instructor Manual for Self-Reliant, is the statement of course philosophy:
"The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver Specialty course is to recognize and accept the role​
of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing​
self-reliance and independence while diving. There are two reasons for an experienced diver​
to take the Self-Reliant Diver Specialty course:​
• To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when​
preferred or necessary.​
• To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a​
dive pair or team.​
This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for​
those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training,​
equipment and responsibility."​
I've emphasized the solo part.....

P.S. The original 2011 manual said exactly the same thing.

The SDI card is the only one I have seen that says it allows solo diving.
If the insurer is leaving it to you to make the determination, it seems it would benefit your customers for you to take a closer look at the prerequisites and training specifications for the PADI certification. As I posted earlier it's virtually identical to the SDI cert. Given the size and nature of Explorer Ventures, you might even be able to get clarifying documentation directly from PADI that would satisfy your insurer. I would think if you're going to the hassle of allowing solo from your boat, you would want to please as many customers as possible with as little negative feedback as possible.
Honestly I'm surprised you allow solo. I've dived your boat/itinerary and enjoyed it. :) IMHO, the benefits of solo would be minimal and I solo dive alot (though I appreciate the effort). Thanks for your input and participation in the thread. All IMHO, YMMV.

There is no ISO standard for most specialty classes, including solo/self-reliant.
So... why does an insurance company accept SDI then and not PADI?

Is there a difference in the raw number of incidents or in the percentage of dives that lead to incident?

Insurance companies tend to rely on probability theory. They employ mathematicians.

You must not be trained through TDI. Their tech cards all list the limitations of the certification. My normoxic trimix card states, right on the card, "qualified in trimix diving (helium based) with a 18% mixture or greater, use of nitrox/oxygen for deco/stage gases, to max depth of 200 ft/60 m". My advanced nitrox card states, right on the card, "qualified in the use of 22% to 100% oxygen". So some cards do in fact clearly state the extent of the certification right on the card. My solo card simply states, "has completed the course requirements for the rating of Solo Diver."
well it seems the TDI folks spotted that little flaw in the system. All my cards are SSI and IANTD. Not out of any particular choice really....it's just what the shop and instructors were affiliated with...
looking it up just now I see that TDI was founded in 1993....but I don't recall it being a big player in the areas I lived when I was actively diving.
In an opposite way, I haven't seen mention of IANTD here much at all so I'm guessing that's a dying organization.

Is there a difference in the raw number of incidents or in the percentage of dives that lead to incident?

Insurance companies tend to rely on probability theory. They employ mathematicians.
just a wild guess, but my bet is they just haven't updated their notes. Might just not be aware of the PADI offering

They may employ statisticians, but not logicians. SDI says "SOLO" and has been around more than two decades; PADI is the newcomer and doesn't use the word "solo" in its entire Instructor Manual for the course. PADI stepped on its own foot with this one.

Do you mean SDI?
I meant SSI but the topic was SDI. I got confused.

Now, having experienced a TDI trimix course, one was enough, instructor of the year, I'm not that convinced that their rec branch SDI is great either. This is from personal experience and is based on one course only. Very few agencies teach truly professional level of skill. I have three favourite agencies, one of which I hate. None of them is mentioned here.

I meant SSI but the topic was SDI. I got confused.

Now, having experienced a TDI trimix course, one was enough, instructor of the year, I'm not that convinced that their rec branch SDI is great either. This is from personal experience and is based on one course only. Very few agencies teach truly professional level of skill. I have three favourite agencies, one of which I hate. None of them is mentioned here.
You continue to confuse agencies with instructors.

just a wild guess, but my bet is they just haven't updated their notes. Might just not be aware of the PADI offering
People should do their job they are paid for.

You continue to confuse agencies with instructors.
Partly, yes. But the study materials are also relevant.
And each instructor represent their agency.
And agencies can audit their instructors. Some actually do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom