Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suspect that there might be a difference in policy between guided boat and shore diving in general. Perhaps more perceived liability.

I have seen a sidemount diver be denied the use of two tanks on a boat dive. But one was ok.

When I was there, all boat dives were buddy only. I could shore dive all I wanted, but on a boat where they need to track the people, it was buddy only.

I have used Dive Friends 7 times/14 weeks since 2017. I have done many solo shore dives with no problems, including dives directly from the pier at Bari Reef, we stay at Den Laman. I have had SDI Solo Diver since 2013.

My wife and I have done numerous boat dives with Dive Friends to Klein Bonaire and to the northern sites that are not accessible from shore. The boat dives are loose group dives, starting and ending together. Though I have not specifically asked, I don't think there is any independent diving, buddy or solo. As is often the case, the guided portion of the dive is about 45 min while the dive time is an hour. My wife often ends her dive before I do. I spend the remainder of my time by myself, within a distance to end the dive on time. I have never seen a diver on the boats prepared for solo diving, redundant gas for example. I have also never seen a diver on the boats set up for side mount diving.

I have always found Dive Friends very responsive to questions
info@divefriendsbonaire.com

OPer here. I had no idea that the situation would develop in this manner when I first posted.

What is really surprising to me is the move from ok with a solo / self-reliant cert to no solo diving at all with some of the operators like Buddy Dive.

I am wondering if Buddy Dive's change in this specific policy is the result of Fiona Sharps' death some time after the original post. On a trip prior to her death, I had a conversation with a random diver on the subject of solo diving on the Buddy Dive dock. At the time, they had no problem with solo diving at all.

Dive Friends, (who I did not identify in the original post, to the irritation of some) used to not have a problem with solo diving even without a certification until one of their instructors died from lionfishing by himself. It appeared that their change in policy started some time after that happened.
I went to Bonaire in Feb. 2024 and dove with Dive Friends at the Delfins beach.
They checked my technical and instructor C-cards and I waited until they confirmed that I can dive alone.
They had no problem with my dive.

No op has ever let me solo dive on a boat dive anywhere. What they do permit when it is just me and I don’t want to buddy up with a stranger is to ask to buddy up and follow the guide. In most places including Bonaire, as long as the guide can see me they are fine and at the end part of the dive when we are under the boat and they see that I see the boat they will leave me on my own to finish the dive.

Any feedback on Captain Don’s and solo with a solo cert?

Staying and diving with them or just showing up at their property to dive off their dock?

Staying and diving with Capt dons never had an issue solo shore diving with solo cert and redundant air

In 2020, there was no problem renting tanks as a solodiver from Buddy dive.

Back
Top Bottom