Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, when it comes to scuba retail, something does not make sense is usually not just a communications problem.

I have another friend in his 60's who has been diving since he was 13 and thinks nothing (wrong phraseology; actually very thoughtful and careful) of going to 250 ft on air by himself, but he is not certified in solo or tech diving. He knows how to do those things because he learned when doing them with others who already knew.

There is NOTHING thoughtful and careful about going to 250ft on AIR.......

Last edited:
Dive Friends Bonaire has corrected their communication with regard to requiring Rescue Diver prior to taking their Self-Reliant Diver course

I wrote:
PADI prerequisites for Self-Reliant Diver are 18 years old, Advanced Open Water, and 100 dives. Please confirm that you require Rescue Diver to take the course with you. If yes, is this an additional prerequisite that DFB has added to the PADI standards?

DFB replied:
My apologies. Thank you for catching my mistake. The pre-requisite for the new Self Reliant course is indeed advanced open water. I have updated my responses which were based on a previous version of the course that we offered.

I believe the PC way of expressing that idea is now, "Alt-Fact".
Yeah, but I like the use of a double positive to mean a negative, which my linguistics friends tell me is unique among languages.

You guys are being pretty hard on the office girl... But it's easy enough to do.. I mean, You guys I'm sure never make a mistake...

Jim..

You guys are being pretty hard on the office girl... But it's easy enough to do.. I mean, You guys I'm sure never make a mistake...

Jim..

They're being hard on her not because of the mistake about needing a rescue cert, but because she covered it up with what's almost certainly a lie about that being a requirement for a solo class they previously offered.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt for promptly correcting the error regarding the requirement for Rescue certification when it was pointed out to her :). She may have been using inaccurate response templates that were previously written. After 130 posts, I think this topic has pretty much been wrapped up

1) Dive Friends Bonaire requires solo cert to do solo shore dives
2) They accept SDI and PADI, teach only PADI
3) Their prerequisites for Self-Reliant Diver are same as PADI's
4) They rent pony tanks at a reasonable rate

I'm looking forward to my own return to Bonaire

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom