Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just on Bon last Dec and am going back this Dec. I stayed at Hamlet Oasis and got an unlimited air package with DFB. When I signed in I had to fill out a second release to dive solo. I have an SDI Solo Diver card and DFB also requires an alternate independant air source to dive solo though they didn't ask to see it. I bring a 6cf pony and transfill from a tank though I have a station fill adapter too.

I regularly dove Cliff (the house reef) solo both day and night - no problems. I never dove with anyone else during the entire trip. DFB staff didn't care and we discussed my dives pretty much each day.

Things have tightened up a bit since I first started going to Bon. Then solo diving was never an issue - even without a card - never even mentioned. Now, I think, because of the litigatius nature of people these days, they are covering their butt legally. I seriously doubt that anyone is going to challenge you if you are diving solo. It would probably be prudent to have a small pony, though. I never dive without one, anywhere - even if there are others in the water with me.

Each shop will have their own rules for solo diving. You may or may not observe that reality and what's in writing are two different things. If you have your business together and aren't making a spectacle of yourself, even better. As far as sites that are not located at a shop, there is no "Bonaire Dive Police" that will tell you not to dive solo. Cards and classes are great but foremost, ensure you are honest with yourself and your skill level. Hope you have a great trip. Bonaire is truly special.

i think you will find that you can dive any way you want from any of the resorts that provide 24 hour access to tanks.

At the Divi there are always tanks available and no one monitors the dock (other than you walk past the shop to access the dock). once the shop closes (4pm? ish) there is no one onsite. Even when the shop is open the only time there is shop employees on the dock is when the boats come in and out and when empty tanks are removed and then returned full ( the compressor is located near the south dock so they boat the tanks back and forth).

i have never seen any shop person ask any diver what they were doing. dive freedom.

Was in Bonaire staying at Divi in April 2018. Did a few shore dives with buddies and a few solo dives @ Divi. Tanks are available at Divi 24 hours a day. Remember safety first and enjoy. Looking forward to going back soon.

Bonaire diving is freedom at it's finest. Tanks are taken and returned on the honor system.. Get your tank and write your name on the tank sheet,tank number and away you go.. Mostly you only interact with the shop if you want to.. And if you do, They are very helpful.

Jim..

Last edited:
Hi @lgreco67

We're in the same boat. I visited Bonaire last December for the 1st time since 2008. We had always stayed at Sand Dollar but switched to Den Laman. We had used BD&A and switched to BDF. Den Laman is great, DFB is fantastic. We love this location because of the house reef, Bari, probably my favorite dive on Bonaire.

I dive more aggressively than my wife and wanted to get in a few extra dives. I ended up going off the Sand Dollar/Den Laman pier 3 times by myself in the late afternoon. It is very easy as the cylinders are available on the pier. I was not interfered with on any of my dives and had a great time. Full disclosure: I have been diving solo for many years but also got SDI certified in 2013 to be able to dive with operators that do not know me. I did not take my 19 cf pony to Bonaire and I do not think that BDF have any to rent. If push came to shove, they probably could have prevented me from solo diving from their pier.

I'm going back in August for 2 weeks and plan to do the same thing, we'll see. Sometimes, silence is the best policy.

Good diving, Craig
In Jan-Feb 2017, DFB@Sand Dollar started telling guests to get solo cert before diving solo. Some folks complained and suggested that, if required, such a constraint might actually violate the facilities lease agreement between DFB and the company that owns the dock etc. That complaint may have had a positive effect because in Jan-Feb 2018 I heard no such emphasis on the need for solo cert or any talk of banning solo by those without the cert. I dived solo multiple times from the DFB@Sand Dollar dock in both years with no problem.

In Jan-Feb 2017, DFB@Sand Dollar started telling guests to get solo cert before diving solo. Some folks complained and suggested that, if required, such a constraint might actually violate the facilities lease agreement between DFB and the company that owns the dock etc. That complaint may have had a positive effect because in Jan-Feb 2018 I heard no such emphasis on the need for solo cert or any talk of banning solo by those without the cert. I dived solo multiple times from the DFB@Sand Dollar dock in both years with no problem.
I do have an SDI solo cert, but do not take my pony to Bonaire. I dived solo from the Sand Dollar/Den Laman pier in December 2017 without problems. My wife and I are going back in August, I plan to do the same.

I thought I would post this so people don't get surprised.

Bonaire is sometimes referred to as the home of diving freedom. One context is with respect to solo diving. One of the larger firms on the island is now discouraging / preventing solo diving unless you have a TEC cert or a solo diving cert. You then have to sign a solo diver waiver.

It was really disheartening to see a young woman whose significant other could not or would not dive, be told that she could not dive by herself. She looked very upset. We offered to have her dive with us, but she declined.

Solo diving is not for everyone, but if anyone does want to do it, perhaps they should do it in the safest possible manner. So, I can understand any dive op not wanting people to go solo without appropriate training or certification.

This hit home enough for me to get solo diver instructor certified once I got back so our people who want to dive solo don't run into this situation.

This is total BS, if she had a basic open water certification, and some experience, and carried the proper redundant equipment, she should have been allowed to dive.

If I wanted to go to Bonaire and dive solo, and rent a set of double 80's with a manifold, which is what I have been diving since 1994, and I have and know how to use a DSMB, cutting tool, reels, lights, spare mask, etc. Where would be a good place to stay, and rent double tanks and weights, and a vehicle in Bonaire. I did try at Buddy Dive, and they told me I had to have a solo diver cert. Any suggestions???

Hi @Rogerdiv

Have you thought out the logistics of diving doubles for routine diving on Bonaire? Are you going to switch out cylinders between fills? I don't think the system is set up to quickly refill your doubles. I've only spent 6 weeks on Bonaire in the last year and a half. I'm sure doubles are used for tech diving, however, I've not seen a single diver with doubles. In fact, I've not seen a single diver with sidemount, either single or doubles, which would be considerably easier to deal with. On the other hand, I've seen many divers diving solo. I have personally done 10-12 solo dives when my wife and buddy was not up to diving.

Back
Top Bottom