Solo Dive Planning Slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why do you need one? Shouldn't you have that memorized?
Never heard of one so found it. Gear checks shouldn't need a check list at that level.... They really shouldn't, tanks marked with MOD is pretty difficult to do on the checklist unless you have a mirror, but most of the time is a small stick on the neck so woopty doo.

Mental preparation, you should have the first two checked off before you start gearing up.... and the last two are laughable at best. Procedue for EMS/Evac, pretty simple, call 911, call DAN. Not much more to it. The last one is the best though because there is literally no possible way for you to be able to fill that out at most locations. DAN won't publish a list of hyperbaric facilities because they change often and often times the nearest one isn't the one you should be going to, so I don't know where they think you're going to get that information, but since you can't actually get it, the number should always be 919-684-9111. A number that should be memorized by all divers, especially solo divers....

The dive math on the back side, you should know all of this information long before you pass this class. Personal SAC, it is often different depending on the type of dive, should be in your head.
Max planned depth, should be on your regular slate with your dive plan. NDL should be memorized, but may be relying on the computer for that.
SAC adjusted for depth, doesn't matter, approximate based on the next level of atmospheres. You are only rough calculating anyway, so if your sac is .6 and you're at 50ft, just multiple by 3 as if you were at 66ft and you'll be safer.
Target RMV, who needs that?
Planned duration, don't need it, it is either your NDL, or calculated by doing rock bottom for that tank at that depth. If it's shorter than that it doesn't matter.

Putting this on a slate is like training wheels. Take them off, learn to ride. You can estimate all of these numbers close enough in your head if you actually understand the math.
js46_210408.jpg

If you really think you NEED one, just call SDI and ask to buy one. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to rip you off....

I actually think this is worse than training wheels. Training wheels imply a steady progression of improvement on the path to mastery. If you actually need this slate, you shouldn't be solo "riding" at all

I teach the solo course and usually order the student materials with the slates. I see them as a valid starting point for divers who have never made a checklist. We look at the items on it and then decide what to put in the student's wet notes for their own checklist that makes sense to them. One of the reasons I started having my OW students make checklists and include a set of wet notes with the OW course materials is they work. They reduce errors, reduce the risk of forgetting something, and are easier to use than silly sayings.
In the wet notes I use for tech classes and tech dives I have a gear up list for my sidemount configuration. I was taught this way by Steve Lewis and even though I've been diving SM for a couple years now still find it valuable.
The gas volume slate is nice for those students, and there are many of them, that took classes to this point where they were not done, were not done properly, or they need to see it on paper so to speak. They slate walks them through it and is a good cheat sheet for those who don't dive solo regularly and may be a little lax on some things when diving with a buddy or group.

What part of "slate" don't you get?

you know... the flat thing (or curvy) PVC_like sheet where you read and/or write stuff.

Jim, why bother with a slate though? If it's a slate it's intended to be taken into the water. Why not a printed checklist? Just seems like an expensive piece of junk that isn't needed and can be overcome with written lists.... If they haven't done the math, why are they doing it at/near the water? Should that not be part of their predive planning at home or before gearing up? For the checklists, I have one that I use when I pack before a trip. I don't use one anywhere near the water because to me it actually adds risk. In the water it is in this order, obviously for bottles not requiring stage/deco
Fins/straps
pockets/contents-usually just wetnotes, spool in each pocket, potentially light, but not usually.
Crotch strap
waist belt with whatever is necessary on it. Small knife, potentially a pouch/canister
left shoulder-spg-verify pressure here
right shoulder, primary clipped off
suicide strap with octo in it.
Reach back check tank valve
left forearm, slate, computer with Z-knife on strap
Mask/hood
gloves.

That's it. When in the water, during cold water treatment, you verify function of each regulator and valve being opened by doing an s-drill, and/or valve drill. Two birds with one stone here since your mask is off to acclimate. At this point you tap the drysuit inflator and dump if applicable, and tap the power inflator, since you already verified oral inflation prior to water entry. For solo diving you do your bubble check at the surface with soapy water spray bottle.

Now, I understand this is all on the slate, but if the diver has 100 dives, is already AOW, and is in solo diving, shouldn't they already be aware of how to do all of this?

If this was for OW I'd be in full support of this btw, but at this level this is utterly ridiculous.

What part of "slate" don't you get?

you know... the flat thing (or curvy) PVC_like sheet where you read and/or write stuff.

Listen you. I don't want any of your mess. A SLATE!!!! Seriously! Did you even look at that flat thing PVC like where you read and/or write stuff? If you were to ever go out in my boat and start checking off items on a slate like 'mask', there's a little mark for mask, 'fins', and there's a little mark for fins, hmmmmm, I think I'd have to take you back to the dock. If someone needs a slate with a check list (especially that check list) to do a solo dive then they definitely don't need to be solo.

And now watch someone report me for being mean and ugly. Go ahead.

Given the state of a number of AOW divers I have seen with 100 dives it's not ridiculous at all. That includes those with AOW, Rescue, numerous specialties, and even a few with DM certs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom