Solo Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you mean :
Pony with 1st stage and one 2nd stage
Primary tank with 1st stage and one second stage and the air2 octo?
Yes. This configuration eliminates the need constantly remember to add a second 2nd stage if you go back and forth from solo and buddy diving. Set it up once and be done.

Obviously if you're buddy diving the pony is not necessary and you can dive your rig with the Air2 and still share gas with your buddy in the unlikely event they run out of gas or have a catastrophic failure.

TLDR: The guy was diving FFM, with something like an air-2, was completely new to the setup with almost zero training. When he ran out of air, instead of switching regs, he rocketed to the surface.

The real issue with Air2's (and similar devices) is:
  • Understand they're introducing something that is more difficult to use; which may be increasingly difficult or challenging when narc'd or in an emergency.
  • People need to PRACTICE with them. In particular ascending and descending, while breathing from it.
  • (non-solo) If you're sharing air you might be dealing with a panicked diver, while also a piece of equipment that's a pain to use.
Obviously, if you become competent and practiced using an Air2, why not! Same with FFM, they have challenges and risks, but with training and practice, you can overcome that too.
Per your description, that incident has nothing to do with the Air2 or the FFM. The guy ran out of gas. Switching to any regulator system on an empty tank is not going to help you. 🤦‍♂️

I dive solo a fair bit, but part of a group of divers. I leave my octo in place, just in case, for other divers. My pony has a single stage 2, and an extra LP whip, a redundant source for my drysuit. No octo on the pony, mainly because it is only for me. Piss Off Not Yours. If I encounter another diver who is having OOA issues, my octo would go to them. If we were approaching rock bottom gas, I would use my pony, for the ascent, giving my back gas to a diver who needs it.

Proof our education system is failing people. Go back and read again, but this time go slow and try to comprehend what was written.

Now, you quoted the Air2 portion of my post and trust me, for entertainment purposes, I appreciate the, "Yer gunna die!" commentary. Despite the fact tens of thousands of dives are conducted every year with this configuration and I've yet to hear a story of an Air2 killing a diver, ever. We do hear stories from time to time of divers dying because they mixed up regs on pony bottles.

That said, I have my doubts many here who post just to post are actually solo divers. My diving is almost exclusively solo. 7 solo dives yesterday.

How many solo dives have you done? What's your configuration for a solo dive? Have you ever used an Air2? Did it almost kill you? What configuration based on the poster's setup of a primary tank and pony bottle would you recommend he use for solo diving?
I use the Atomic version of an Air2 on every dive. Somewhere between 6000 and 7000 of them.

I’m not dead yet.

My SDI Solo class is 5 dives and I require a pool session to evaluate the student and go over some of the skills we will do in open water. I also require a slung redundant air supply suitable for the depths we are in.
Spare airs ARE NOT PERMITTED!
I will accept a 19 cu ft bottle if the depths and SAC numbers work but recommend a 30 or 40.
Sidemount and backmount doubles are also permitted as long as you prove in the pool you can do the required valve drills.
Classroom is usually 6-8 hours and we cover gas management, emergency deco, self-rescue and first aid, and how to prepare your family in the event you don't come back from a dive and may not be recovered.
We also cover why a mirror is essential for underwater use.
Drills include those required plus any others I can think of to suit the conditions.
Here in my local area vis can go to hell quickly in some places to no mask and blacked out mask drills are added.
Use of lines and reels for navigation in low vis and shooting a DSMB without a mask from depth and using a knotted line for your ascent if you somehow forgot or lost your backup mask when your primary broke and is gone.
If any instructor is just teaching to the standard and not adding or adjusting for local conditions or the type of diving you plan to do solo, you're not getting your money's worth.
My solo class is going up to $400 this season to reflect the content and time we put in.
Half of a purchase is cost, and the other half is what you get in return. That seems to include a lot of stuff not "required" for solo, but a fantastic learning opportunity.
well maybe I should modify my position on the benefits of a solo course. That sounds like a lot for $400. I doubt most people would be comfortable practicing all those skills, on their own with no buddy or instructor to watch over them.

I am curious is a back mounted pony bottle allowed for the certification you teach? I can think of several reasons why a slung configuration is safer and has unique advantages, however a photographer in 30 ft of water might choose a back mounted configuration . Primarily for convenience.
Not every course is like that. That's why it's important to look at more than just the title.

My pony is slung in a Sidemount-style configuration, and wouldn't get in the way of any skills, photography, etc. It's basically tucked under my armpit, and inline with my body.
However, a properly slung bottle is not in the way shooting photos. I do it in sidemount with up to 2 stages.
Diving single tank, you don't see my slung 40 from the front. It's up nice and tight sidemount style.

I can often show where a slung bottle is actually more convenient than back mounted. Especially when you are gearing up by yourself and have to lift everything on your own. Then do the gear check, test all the regs in the water, manipulate the valves, etc.
That sounds very similar to my setup. And yes, a slung-pony is VERY convenient. No hoses going over your shoulder, you can hand it off, easier BCD setup, easier access.
Question for those that solo dive. I know you need a regulator on your pony bottle. Do you still use the main and backup second stage on your main bottle and then have a third second stage for your pony? Or do you take your regular backup second stage and move it to your pony bottle?
Standard setup is: Scuba-tank (any size), first-stage, 1x second stage, and SPG. Ditch the octo & inflator hose on the pony-regs, and install port-plugs of the appropriate size. If it's slung in the front or side, a shorter HP hose for the SPG (9-inch) is very nice-to-have. For dry-suit, you might keep the inflator-hose, but use a shorter one (primary = BCD, pony = dry-suit).

Extra hoses and regulators (octo) are an entanglement hazard, unnecessary complexity, and (tiny) potential failure point. Everything you would do with an octo, is now replaced by your regs on the pony-bottle. Your redundancy or air-share is 2x tanks, and 2x independent regulator-sets.

Yes. This configuration eliminates the need constantly remember to add a second 2nd stage if you go back and forth from solo and buddy diving. Set it up once and be done.

Obviously if you're buddy diving the pony is not necessary and you can dive your rig with the Air2 and still share gas with your buddy in the unlikely event they run out of gas or have a catastrophic failure.
Why not just do primary donate all the time and if your buddy is OOA switch to your pony?

Per your description, that incident has nothing to do with the Air2 or the FFM. The guy ran out of gas. Switching to any regulator system on an empty tank is not going to help you. 🤦‍♂️
Two tanks. The FFM was attached to his full-sized tank, and the pony-bottle was attached to his Air2.

Two tanks. The FFM was attached to his full-sized tank, and the pony-bottle was attached to his Air2.
That would be a really stupid configuration, but it doesn't change the point the Air2 regulator did not fail him. He could have breathed off it like any other reg. In fact the outcome would have been the same even if he had a standard reg attached to his pony.

Why not just do primary donate all the time and if your buddy is OOA switch to your pony?
You could if you want to bring a pony tank for a buddy dive.

I see more pony tanks left on the boat than brought on dives. A person should commit to it if they're going that route.

That would be a really stupid configuration, but it doesn't change the point the Air2 regulator did not fail him. He could have breathed off it like any other reg. In fact the outcome would have been the same even if he had a standard reg attached to his pony.
The diver failed, not the equipment, true. Like I said in the relevant post (which you responded to with a face-palm)

The real issue with Air2's (and similar devices) is:
  • Understand they're introducing something that is more difficult to use; which may be increasingly difficult or challenging when narc'd or in an emergency.
  • People need to PRACTICE with them. In particular ascending and descending, while breathing from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom