Solo Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to dig a little further - couldn't find the instructor list. Did however find a couple SDI shops 150miles away - thanks
There's only one TDI instructor in Minnesota and he isn't certified to teach solo. Here's the link if you want to search elsewhere.

So you understand, SDI instructors aren't listed individually, only TDI instructors are, so there's probably more SDI instructors out there that can teach solo. There's probably some PADI folks that can teach self-reliant as well.

You can acquire all the knowledge you need to dive solo by reading books etc., but a good instructor will get you from where you are to where you want to be quicker than trying to do it all yourself.

I concur with everything in @tursiops post, and to add to it, if you find an SDI instructor who's willing to let you use a spare air, you should run away.

I think the gas planning and the skills that you perform in solo are probably the best parts of the course. Solo isn't rocket science, but your margin for error is much lower. Having the experience and the skills to handle problems when they occur is going to be priceless in a crisis. Knowing how to avoid that crisis is doubly important.

One of the really cool things about SDI is they encourage their instructors to add material to courses. If I were you, I'd ask any instructor that I was going to take a solo course from what they do that exceeds the standards. If their answer doesn't impress you, find another instructor. You can download the SDI standards for every course, but Solo is here.

Agree, if you want to do local, shallow diving and know how to use the redundant scuba gear - why not just do it? If you read the book, have the gear and practice using it, I can't imagine that spending money for a solo course would be advantageous.
Agree. When I solo dive (which has been always since Covid and most of the time before), I rarely poke down below 30 feet. I can do a CESA from there and practice it maybe every other dive, since I want to check exact location anyway. That is my redundancy. When I did deeper dives it was always with a buddy, instabuddy on a boat or not. Really deep and I took my pony bottle. I don't think our shop here offers Self Reliant course-- an instructor friend there took it in the tropics somewhere. For the diving I do it's not woth the money. I suppose I could take it from that instructor friend as I would think he's qualified to teach it.

There's only one TDI instructor in Minnesota and he isn't certified to teach solo. Here's the link if you want to search elsewhere.

So you understand, SDI instructors aren't listed individually, only TDI instructors are, so there's probably more SDI instructors out there that can teach solo. There's probably some PADI folks that can teach self-reliant as well.

You can acquire all the knowledge you need to dive solo by reading books etc., but a good instructor will get you from where you are to where you want to be quicker than trying to do it all yourself.

I concur with everything in @tursiops post, and to add to it, if you find an SDI instructor who's willing to let you use a spare air, you should run away.

I think the gas planning and the skills that you perform in solo are probably the best parts of the course. Solo isn't rocket science, but your margin for error is much lower. Having the experience and the skills to handle problems when they occur is going to be priceless in a crisis. Knowing how to avoid that crisis is doubly important.

One of the really cool things about SDI is they encourage their instructors to add material to courses. If I were you, I'd ask any instructor that I was going to take a solo course from what they do that exceeds the standards. If their answer doesn't impress you, find another instructor. You can download the SDI standards for every course, but Solo is here.
thanks for thoughtful reply - I'll have a look at the SDI solo standard.

It's been said that learning is never a waste, however I think solo diver certification maybe the exception to that rule. Go diving enjoy!

SDI/TDI not only allows but encourages instructors to teach above the standards and in some cases expects them to. Your location is an example of where the SDI class should be much different than one taught in someplace like Bonaire.
My SDI Solo class is 5 dives and I require a pool session to evaluate the student and go over some of the skills we will do in open water. I also require a slung redundant air supply suitable for the depths we are in.
Spare airs ARE NOT PERMITTED!
I will accept a 19 cu ft bottle if the depths and SAC numbers work but recommend a 30 or 40.
Sidemount and backmount doubles are also permitted as long as you prove in the pool you can do the required valve drills.
Classroom is usually 6-8 hours and we cover gas management, emergency deco, self-rescue and first aid, and how to prepare your family in the event you don't come back from a dive and may not be recovered.
We also cover why a mirror is essential for underwater use.
Drills include those required plus any others I can think of to suit the conditions.
Here in my local area vis can go to hell quickly in some places to no mask and blacked out mask drills are added.
Use of lines and reels for navigation in low vis and shooting a DSMB without a mask from depth and using a knotted line for your ascent if you somehow forgot or lost your backup mask when your primary broke and is gone.
If any instructor is just teaching to the standard and not adding or adjusting for local conditions or the type of diving you plan to do solo, you're not getting your money's worth.
My solo class is going up to $400 this season to reflect the content and time we put in.

SDI/TDI not only allows but encourages instructors to teach above the standards and in some cases expects them to. Your location is an example of where the SDI class should be much different than one taught in someplace like Bonaire.
My SDI Solo class is 5 dives and I require a pool session to evaluate the student and go over some of the skills we will do in open water. I also require a slung redundant air supply suitable for the depths we are in.
Spare airs ARE NOT PERMITTED!
I will accept a 19 cu ft bottle if the depths and SAC numbers work but recommend a 30 or 40.
Sidemount and backmount doubles are also permitted as long as you prove in the pool you can do the required valve drills.
Classroom is usually 6-8 hours and we cover gas management, emergency deco, self-rescue and first aid, and how to prepare your family in the event you don't come back from a dive and may not be recovered.
We also cover why a mirror is essential for underwater use.
Drills include those required plus any others I can think of to suit the conditions.
Here in my local area vis can go to hell quickly in some places to no mask and blacked out mask drills are added.
Use of lines and reels for navigation in low vis and shooting a DSMB without a mask from depth and using a knotted line for your ascent if you somehow forgot or lost your backup mask when your primary broke and is gone.
If any instructor is just teaching to the standard and not adding or adjusting for local conditions or the type of diving you plan to do solo, you're not getting your money's worth.
My solo class is going up to $400 this season to reflect the content and time we put in.
well maybe I should modify my position on the benefits of a solo course. That sounds like a lot for $400. I doubt most people would be comfortable practicing all those skills, on their own with no buddy or instructor to watch over them.

I am curious is a back mounted pony bottle allowed for the certification you teach? I can think of several reasons why a slung configuration is safer and has unique advantages, however a photographer in 30 ft of water might choose a back mounted configuration . Primarily for convenience.

well maybe I should modify my position on the benefits of a solo course. That sounds like a lot for $400. I doubt most people would be comfortable practicing all those skills, on their own with no buddy or instructor to watch over them.

I am curious is a back mounted pony bottle allowed for the certification you teach? I can think of several reasons why a slung configuration is safer and has unique advantages, however a photographer in 30 ft of water might choose a back mounted configuration . Primarily for convenience.
As long as the student can prove that they are fully monitoring the bottle and are aware of the risks I will accept a back mount.

However, a properly slung bottle is not in the way shooting photos. I do it in sidemount with up to 2 stages.
Diving single tank, you don't see my slung 40 from the front. It's up nice and tight sidemount style.

I can often show where a slung bottle is actually more convenient than back mounted. Especially when you are gearing up by yourself and have to lift everything on your own. Then do the gear check, test all the regs in the water, manipulate the valves, etc.

It does depend on the environment. I'll do any dive solo that I would do with a buddy. And some solo that I would consider a buddy to be a liability and not willingly dive with a buddy.

On those dives a back mounted bottle would be just another snag hazard to be aware of and take up brain bandwidth.

Question for those that solo dive. I know you need a regulator on your pony bottle. Do you still use the main and backup second stage on your main bottle and then have a third second stage for your pony? Or do you take your regular backup second stage and move it to your pony bottle?

Thanks
Brian rose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom