Solo Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go to SDI's dive center locator there are two shops that offer that class in MN, or they appear to do so. I'd give them a call see if they have someone on staff who can teach your course.
Haven't read as much about the SDI course - quick look suggests it might be a better path than the PADI self reliant course ~ thanks

Never thought of taking it from an independent instructor - I'll look into that.

Travel - ya, by car. I'm sure I could find a shop in in the Minneapolis area that offers it - be a 3 hour one way trip. Certainly not out of the question.
The SDI Dive Center locator link that VikingDives posted, should also have a link for independent instructors, somewhere amongst it's menus. Should be able to find links to TDI Instructors, the tech arm of SDI. My SDI Solo instructor is primarily, a TDI Tech instructor.

Is the question will you learn something useful or will you find the card useful?

To the former, my best guess without knowing you or the instructor is maybe but probably not. My answer to the latter is I have had one liveaboard operator that required the card to dive solo. There may be more.

Long time reader now member. Thought I'd start with a question...

Is it worth traveling for a solo certification?

Local PADI shop doesn't off the self reliant diver course. I've studied "Solo Diving : The Art of Underwater Self-Sufficiency" by Robert von Maier, and researched extensively online regarding equipment.

I'm a photographer. I dive locally in fresh water lakes (northern Minnesota), focusing on fish in shallow water. Average depth of most dives is ~20ft, and very occasionally to 50ft, my self imposed limit. Don't travel much and when I do it's buddy diving.

For a redundant air I use a back mounted 19cuft pony with a button pressure gauge and a necklace mounted reg. Carry two cutting tools, practice reaching both and switching air sources regularly. Do bubble checks, triple checks (car, shore and surface) of valves, regulator, inflator etc. function before I enter.

Realize solo is more about mindset and planning than anything else. I'm pretty careful.

Now that I've done a few solo dives (10), and realize I love it, wondering if it's worthwhile to travel for the certification given my shallow and fairly focused goals.

SSI certified 30 years ago, PADI AOW last summer, 150+ total dives with 50 of those in the past 6 months.

Appreciate you thoughts

What do you think a class can get you that you can’t get on your own?

You’ve read the book, you seem to be pretty squared away, you have the equipment, it seems that adding in a dive plan with someone who can call for help if you are overdue.

You didn’t mention having a hard time getting fills or avoiding the scuba police.

Have fun. First rule of diving.

Damn. Dursoed by Akimbo.

Haven't read as much about the SDI course - quick look suggests it might be a better path than the PADI self reliant course ~ thanks
You're welcome. The SDI course has fewer requirements than the PADI course, but it's all about your instructor. My solo course meets the standards for both agencies (though I don't teach self-reliant).

SIX things:
1) The PADI course is modeled after the SDI course but is slightly better....the skills are more specific/defined and there is an extra checkout/configuration dive in confined water before the two OW dives.
2) The PADI course has no manual. The book mentioned in the OP was the old manual, but the SDI course now has a manual.
3) The SDI course is an SDI course; you do not need to be a TDI instructor to teach it, although it is likely that some technical skills in the instructor could benefit the student.
4) Beware some of the terminology in the SDI course, it is not the same as what many other use. SAC is volume/minute, RMV is SAC adjusted for depth and for workload plus stressors. The PADI course uses SAC as vol/minute or pressure/minute; RMV is not used at all.
5) SDI allows use of a SpareAir for a redundant gas source. (Bad, IMO)
6) Both courses are adamant about gas planning, in detail.

You’ve read the book, you seem to be pretty squared away, you have the equipment, it seems that adding in a dive plan with someone who can call for help if you are overdue.

You didn’t mention having a hard time getting fills or avoiding the scuba police.

Damn. Dursoed by Akimbo.
Agree, if you want to do local, shallow diving and know how to use the redundant scuba gear - why not just do it? If you read the book, have the gear and practice using it, I can't imagine that spending money for a solo course would be advantageous.

The SDI Dive Center locator link that VikingDives posted, should also have a link for independent instructors, somewhere amongst it's menus. Should be able to find links to TDI Instructors, the tech arm of SDI. My SDI Solo instructor is primarily, a TDI Tech instructor.
I'll have to dig a little further - couldn't find the instructor list. Did however find a couple SDI shops 150miles away - thanks

Damn. Dursoed by Akimbo.
don't know what I don't know... Maybe I'd find a great instructor. but looking over the PADI course outline, didn't see anything new.

No trouble getting fills and thankfully haven't crossed a scubacop yet :wink:

Agree, if you want to do local, shallow diving and know how to use the redundant scuba gear - why not just do it? If you read the book, have the gear and practice using it, I can't imagine that spending money for a solo course would be advantageous.
also were my head is at... I spend much of my time at novice free diving depths where safety and time come a bit easier, but figured I'd ask those with a solo cert and more knowledgeable than I. - thanks for your input🤙

Back
Top Bottom