Solo Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. This configuration eliminates the need constantly remember to add a second 2nd stage if you go back and forth from solo and buddy diving. Set it up once and be done.

Obviously if you're buddy diving the pony is not necessary and you can dive your rig with the Air2 and still share gas with your buddy in the unlikely event they run out of gas or have a catastrophic failure.

Thats what I thought you meant.

I see more pony tanks left on the boat than brought on dives. A person should commit to it if they're going that route.
I had one buddy who always left his pony in the trunk of his car. He finally started taking it, by getting a mount for his main tank cam band. He also finally got tired of me harrassing him, because his pony was never with him. :-D

Per your description, that incident has nothing to do with the Air2 or the FFM. The guy ran out of gas. Switching to any regulator system on an empty tank is not going to help you. 🤦‍♂️
Jared said: "I switched to my alternate [Air2] but I got a wet breath"

Would a quality regulator on a necklace be more appropriate for a back-mounted pony on a FFM?

That sounds like any time I remove and replace a reg. Always a little bit of that stuff you're surrounded by on the first breath.

That sounds like any time I remove and replace a reg. Always a little bit of that stuff you're surrounded by on the first breath.
Back to OW class. When we switch regs underwater we should then purge the reg, either with a manual blast of air or with our purge button. Then you are to take a "cautious" breath. :)

Back to OW class. When we switch regs underwater we should then purge the reg, either with a manual blast of air or with our purge button. Then you are to take a "cautious" breath. :)
Exactly, but never give up on one because you're excited in an ooa situation and there is some moisture that's not expected. Guy is a fool.

Question for those that solo dive. I know you need a regulator on your pony bottle. Do you still use the main and backup second stage on your main bottle and then have a third second stage for your pony? Or do you take your regular backup second stage and move it to your pony bottle?
Either option is acceptable.

I personally sling my pony, and keep my main regulator configured the same way on all dives. I have my primary second stage on a long hose, my backup second stage on a necklace, and my drysuit hose either connected to my drysuit or tucked into the bands if I'm diving wet (I frequently switch back and forth throughout the year.) When diving solo, or with an unreliable buddy, or sometimes when just diving deep even with a good buddy, I just clip on my pony, with the dedicated hose and second stage neatly slipped into the bands. This allows for easy last-minute changes of plans. For example, about a year ago I offered to take a new-to-cold-water diver to the dive park at Catalina to get acquainted with the thick wetsuit, hood, and related challenges. We did a dive together, but he was already queasy from the ferry ride over and there was a lot of surface chop that day, so he wasn't up for a second dive. No problem; I brought my pony and did a few more dives solo to get my money's worth for the day. Another time, I was diving the oil rigs for scallops with a good buddy, but the distracting nature of the activity and the depth involved made me want to bring my pony. But when we got out there, the waves were pitching our boat so much, it was already difficult to balance on deck, and I decided I didn't want to bring any extra stuff. So I left the pony behind, and stayed a little closer to my buddy. No need to disconnect any hoses or scramble for tools/port plugs, just clip or unclip two bolt snaps.

If I were back-mounting my pony, I would be more inclined to change the regulator configuration. I would probably want my pony second stage on a necklace, because I'd want to be sure it was easily accessible and impossible to mix up with the second stage for my main tank.

Would a quality regulator on a necklace be more appropriate for a back-mounted pony on a FFM?

I had to re-watch. 39m35sec he starts mentioning he ran out of air, and skipped his safety-stop. Around 40:35, he starts playing with his air-2. 41m-42m he mentions his air started getting "tight" 44:30 he mentioned trying to put his backup in, but getting too much water in his lungs.

My suspicion is that he may have tried to switch, but got confused by unfamiliar equipment, couldn't find it, didn't know what to do, etc and decided the fastest/safest solution was an emergency ascent. That's probably the right-call given the above, but I don't buy the "wet breath" story.

It took me a year before I felt comfortable sharing one of my own incidents, so I'm not judging the CYA. His dive-buddy who handed him a bunch of unfamiliar equipment, minimal/no training, and said "lets dive 100ft" though gets lots of criticism form me.

I occasionally get that too when reg-switching. Annoying, but not a big-deal.

I've even forgotten to purge (or breathe out first) once after a season off from diving, and it didn't kill me but I had to cough a few times.

I'll bet my EU certified 5th generation SP Air2 outperforms 90% of rental regs nobody here would bat an eye at diving.
You are misunderstanding. The critique isn't the quality of the regulator.

The problem is trying to use it as a regulator, while also maintaining buoyancy (adding/dumping BCD air). It's a skill you can easily self-teach and practice. Divers often think "it's just merging the inflator hose and octo" and don't realize they need to practice, and then have increased difficulties in an emergency.

I had to re-watch. 39m35sec he starts mentioning he ran out of air, and skipped his safety-stop. Around 40:35, he starts playing with his air-2. 41m-42m he mentions his air started getting "tight" 44:30 he mentioned trying to put his backup in, but getting too much water in his lungs.

My suspicion is that he may have tried to switch, but got confused by unfamiliar equipment, couldn't find it, didn't know what to do, etc and decided the fastest/safest solution was an emergency ascent. That's probably the right-call given the above, but I don't buy the "wet breath" story.

It took me a year before I felt comfortable sharing one of my own incidents, so I'm not judging the CYA. His dive-buddy who handed him a bunch of unfamiliar equipment, minimal/no training, and said "lets dive 100ft" though gets lots of criticism form me.

I occasionally get that too when reg-switching. Annoying, but not a big-deal.

I've even forgotten to purge (or breathe out first) once after a season off from diving, and it didn't kill me but I had to cough a few times.

You are misunderstanding. The critique isn't the quality of the regulator.

The problem is trying to use it as a regulator, while also maintaining buoyancy (adding/dumping BCD air). It's a skill you can easily self-teach and practice. Divers often think "it's just merging the inflator hose and octo" and don't realize they need to practice, and then have increased difficulties in an emergency.
If I ever go to my air 2 that means the dive is over and we're heading up once everyone is calm. If I didn't dive a pony every time then I would hold the I hold the air 2 for my breath and then spit bubbles as I deflate and ease to the surface. Reg doesn't need to be in except those 5-6 breaths up to 20 and then a final exhale after stopping.
If it came down to someone breathing on my primary then I grab my air 2 initially. I then reach down and back (upside down pony back mount) and turn my tank back on (charged and off). Drop the air 2 and breathe off my pony reg that is clipped at right chest. This is briefed if I dive with anyone other than my wife or I get stuck with an insta buddy on a shop dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom