So...I'm kind of an amazon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm trying to figure out how my stature/shape is going to affect my purchasing of dive gear. Me and my SO are going for our basic OW next spring (I'm in NJ and want to wait til it's warmer out) and I want to be prepared on all angles. I'm 6'0.5 about 225 and I'm a DD (this sounds like a personals add). Am I limited when it comes to women's gear such as a BC/suit/etc? Is there anything in particular that I should lean towards/against?

Thanks!

I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm trying to figure out how my stature/shape is going to affect my purchasing of dive gear. Me and my SO are going for our basic OW next spring (I'm in NJ and want to wait til it's warmer out) and I want to be prepared on all angles. I'm 6'0.5 about 225 and I'm a DD (this sounds like a personals add). Am I limited when it comes to women's gear such as a BC/suit/etc? Is there anything in particular that I should lean towards/against?

Thanks!

From one girl of the same top size to another, go for a back plate and wing, don't even bother with a bcd. You will like it much better for those double D's (I know I did). :)

I kinda have the same issues. Except I am 5'3 160 and a G. So, you just have to try stuff on. Try a men's wetsuit. If all else fails, there are some places that make custom stuff. I have to get a women's 12-14 just to fit my bust, then it is about 4 inches too long!

I have a SP BCD and I love it

my wetsuit is Scuba Suits of Australia (am a bit of a dork with my spelling, ask HockeyNut!)

My suggestion is go to your LDS and get measured, because it sounds like you might need to order custom gear.
BP/W and Harness setups are completely modular; meaning at the time of purchase it will fit anyone.
Fit is everything!

silvernotch,

Just a little careful shopping and you should be all set.

No doubt a BP&W will be configurable. My wife is full figured and her Seaquest Diva LX keeps the girls comfortable.

Your wetsuit must fit right and a custom is the likely solution. More on wetsuits, including custom can be read here.

BTW, you are in your warmest water of the season right now. Ocean temps will lag surface air by a few months. Here in Maine prime time is from late July to late September followed by a slow cool-off. The air temp actually gets uncomfortable before the water in the fall!

Pete

silvernotch,

Just a little careful shopping and you should be all set.

No doubt a BP&W will be configurable. My wife is full figured and her Seaquest Diva LX keeps the girls comfortable.

Your wetsuit must fit right and a custom is the likely solution. More on wetsuits, including custom can be read here.

BTW, you are in your warmest water of the season right now. Ocean temps will lag surface air by a few months. Here in Maine prime time is from late July to late September followed by a slow cool-off. The air temp actually gets uncomfortable before the water in the fall!

Pete

unfortunately I'm not going to be able to do anything until next year due to some unexpected expenses. Based off of what you're saying maybe I'll wait til this time next year.

and I think I'm more concerned about length than anything. with my chest size PLUS my height I want to make sure everything is long enough for me. So I think I'm looking at a custom suit :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom