snowballs in ... well, you know ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be there.

Got in a bit of practice with Kalvyn, OE2X, Lamont and Bublin' Bill (who's taking DIR-F this upcoming week-end in Vancouver) last night.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment on the class. While I didn't teach this specific class, Brando and I have taught many, many classes together so I feel very comfortable speaking to some of the issues since I suspect strongly Brando runs the classes nearly identitcally to when we co-teach.

That being said, we instructors struggle continually with the proper balance of what to include in the class, how much time to spend on it, and we have seriously considered extending the time of the class. To that end, I've done what amounts to an extremely informal marketing survey, in that I talk to my students all the time about these very issues being discussed here. Invariably, we hear that the class is information overload and skill overload, but then when you ask the students would you be willing to pay more for an extra day and would you be willing to take a day off of work, more often then not you hear "no". When we originally set this workshop based class up, many students were very reluctant to pay for a class that issues no c-card, and they were even less reluctant to take time off of work for it. As the class grew in popularity and the true value of the class became more recognizable, we were asked to include more and more, which of course meant longer days, more information and added skills. For example, I like to include a demonstration of how to rescue a Toxing diver in my classes. It's beyond the scope of "standard" DIR-F class material, but the great thing about GUE is that they actually standardized the notion that instructors are "encouraged to exceed minimum standards", we have greater flexibility then most agencies to go above and beyond the core course material. Many classes love that I teach them how and why, since most who take the class have little clue how it should be done and most didn't even address the point in their Nitrox classes. However, I've recently had some students suggest that they'd prefer to eliminate that skill from the class in order to give them more time to practice their skills. So my point, of course, is that we aren't married to a "slate" clipped off to our BC and a mandatory skill set, we say every Friday night in our opening lecture that this class is your class and we can include how much, or how little, you guys want and every class I teach is different and every group usually has varying degrees of strength and weaknesses so we do our best to tailor the class to your desires. That is one of the reasons we spend, what some would offer is too much time, on Friday eveing getting to know about you and your background and desired goals.

We take very seriously the feedback we get from our students as we are constantly re-evaluating the class and constantly trying to improve it. Our earliest classes bear little, if any, relationship to what the classes look like today and that is based in large part from numerous conversations such as these, so thank you. We really want to know from the students perspective what worked and what didn't work. While our slogan is Doing It Right, we recognize that we are a small niche, we experience growing pains like any new business, and we'd like to change the class to better suit our target audience, assuming the changes don't compromise our core ideology. In short we want to be flexible but not at the expense of lowering the bar.

Hope that provides some insight as to how we approach the issue, but I'll remian available to answer questions.

Thanks

Michael Kane

I guess since Bob set a link to this, I might as well add some comments.

I'm not sure if the standards have changed for the DIR-f class, but last weekend in Calgary our fundies class was a full 3 days.

We did all the lectures on Friday. Started at 8am and went to about 6:30.

Sat and Sun we were out at the lake at 8am and by the time the video reviews were done it was around 8:30pm at night.

This was a class with 8 students and two instructors. (AG and Dan Mackay)

JeffG:
I guess since Bob set a link to this, I might as well add some comments.

I'm not sure if the standards have changed for the DIR-f class, but last weekend in Calgary our fundies class was a full 3 days.

So was the class I attended for my re-eval ... about a year after the one I was writing about in this thread ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
So was the class I attended for my re-eval ... about a year after the one I was writing about in this thread ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
and even with 3 full days, sometimes it seems a bit much. And it didn't help that I didn't get much sleep in between days...worring about that darn video camera :wink:

This is VERY timely for me. I am a newbie diver. I am vascillating on taking the High Springs course at the end of Oct. I KNOW I will not be ready. That said, I would like to toss this out for those few instructors who MIGHT be reading this.

If I, as a student, were willing to pay to extend the DIRF class, would you be willing to teach it? I have one other GUE diver that I know of near me, and I will be using him as a resource as much as possible. Given the huge gaps in my diving ability, I'd like to take the class and learn, with the full intent of taking it more than once. But I'd like to have the time get get in more dives and class time under the watchful eye of an instructor than otherwise might be possible in the normal class layout.

So don't think there aren't those out here who are not willing to take off work or shell out the bucks for extended instruction. its something I want, it's something I am willing to pay for, and it is something I and seeking.

Thanks for your consideration.

MHK:
That being said, we instructors struggle continually with the proper balance of what to include in the class, how much time to spend on it, and we have seriously considered extending the time of the class. To that end, I've done what amounts to an extremely informal marketing survey, in that I talk to my students all the time about these very issues being discussed here. Invariably, we hear that the class is information overload and skill overload, but then when you ask the students would you be willing to pay more for an extra day and would you be willing to take a day off of work, more often then not you hear "no". When we originally set this workshop based class up, many students were very reluctant to pay for a class that issues no c-card, and they were even less reluctant to take time off of work for it. As the class grew in popularity and the true value of the class became more recognizable, we were asked to include more and more, which of course meant longer days, more information and added skills. Thanks

Michael Kane

PerroneFord:
If I, as a student, were willing to pay to extend the DIRF class, would you be willing to teach it?
There was someone here that did exactly that, but I am unable to find the thread right now.

PerroneFord:
If I, as a student, were willing to pay to extend the DIRF class, would you be willing to teach it?

Each GUE instructor is free to organize their classes any way they see fit, presuming of course strict adherence to GUE standards, so with that backdrop in mind I'm hard pressed to believe you will have any difficulty in finding a GUE instructor that isn't willing to extend the class. Speaking for myself, I do it all the time.. It is usually easier for me to extend local classes, however when I travel it is not uncommon to have arranged ahead of time and extended version of the class, this is particularly true when I travel internationally..

Hope that helps.

Michael Kane

JeffG:
There was someone here that did exactly that, but I am unable to find the thread right now.

That was probably me. :D

Derek S:
That was probably me. :D
and under a different name and posted on a different board....it took me a bit to find it, but I'm glad I wasn't as senile as I thought I was :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom