Snorkel/Dive gear newbie questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys for all the replies. I think the mask fit is pretty straight forward and I tend to be more of minimalist with most things so a snorkel should be pretty basic.

My next question is about fin fit. I understand there is no one pair does it all, ice-water / hot-tub, fin on the market but after reading through some of the board and talking with an old ex-diver buddy of mine, I've elected to go the open heel / rubber soled bootie route. Basic, no splits, rubber sounds fine for me.

I've wear a size 12.5 shoe and most of the time when width isn't an option, the shoes / boots are too wide. How much slop is acceptable in the box and around the arch? Do you want the pocket snug all the way around or is some space OK? Thicker booties? As hard as it is for me to find shoes, and then it's usually a compromise, I can't imagine ever finding a set of fins that are perfect.

Anyway thanks again for the replies.

BTW I'm in the DFW area.

I've wear a size 12.5 shoe and most of the time when width isn't an option, the shoes / boots are too wide. How much slop is acceptable in the box and around the arch? Do you want the pocket snug all the way around or is some space OK? Thicker booties? As hard as it is for me to find shoes, and then it's usually a compromise, I can't imagine ever finding a set of fins that are perfect.

If you are not comfortable with the boots fit to the rubber fins, you will cramp at some point or another diving. Did you try XL with a nice sized bootie?

I like the Scuba pro bootie with the heel that wears well walking around on rocks and gravel. Just a thought.

regards,

shawn

If you are not comfortable with the boots fit to the rubber fins, you will cramp at some point or another diving. Did you try XL with a nice sized bootie?

I like the Scuba pro bootie with the heel that wears well walking around on rocks and gravel. Just a thought.

regards,

shawn

Guess I was asking:
Do you want them oversized and a little on the loose side with the bootie or pretty snug for your one and only set?

You want the boots to fit well to your foot. Loose boots will give you blisters in a hurry.

You want the fins to fit well to the boots. If you have loose fins, you will start trying to compensate somehow by flexing/arching your foot; scrunching your toes or some other ad hoc adjustment to your natural swim/kick posture.

This will give you nothing but problems. On the mild end of the scale, you will cramp up during the dive. On the severe end of the scale, you will end up somehow injuring a joint or developing a weird gimp while walking ( I am thinking of the bow legs syndrome of real western cowboys from riding horses for years ).

If you really have a tough time finding boots that fit; I have seen divers opt to use standard street tennis shoes in lieu of dive boots. Just a thought.

( I am thinking of the bow legs syndrome of real western cowboys from riding horses for years ).

Hey, I've practically lived on horse's backs for quite a bit of my life, and I'm still normal, at least physically, I think.

Also grew up in the rockies on snow skis and I'm trying to equate a fin, boot / foot pocket to ski boots, firm, complete contact with no discomfort. Not the Holy Grail, but hard to find.

Talked with Kevin from Atlantis Scuba in Southlake today and he said it shouldn't be a chore to find a fit. Very helpful.

Appreciate the help from the forum too.

If I pick up another hobby, my wife will need a second job.

Thanks again

I wear a size 12.5 shoe and most of the time when width isn't an option, the shoes / boots are too wide. How much slop is acceptable in the box and around the arch? Do you want the pocket snug all the way around or is some space OK? Thicker booties? As hard as it is for me to find shoes, and then it's usually a compromise, I can't imagine ever finding a set of fins that are perfect.

Basically, you want the fin to fit snuggly and not to wiggle around a whole lot when you shake your foot up and down, and/or side to side. A little space is OK and so is a little wiggle. You just don't want the fit to be too sloppy.

With that size foot you're probably going to wear an extra large. Different fins have different shaped foot pockets, so take that into consideration as well. If you find a fin you like but you're in between sizes you can get an insert to help snug your foot in the fin. I dove with a guy today that used them and liked 'em. He bought his from Universal Scuba down in Houston, but I bet any scuba store can order them for you if you need them.

One last bit of info...if the fin doesn't fit perfectly you can always get booties that have thicker soles. This helps sometimes too.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom