Snorkel/Dive gear newbie questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One last bit of advice...anytime someone is trying to sell you their old "top of the line" scuba gear ask yourself...Why? Why would they be selling their top of the line gear? :wink:

Don't listen to these horse salesmen. :D Go to your LDS, buy a few things, get a relationship started with one you like. After you have some experience and know what you want then think about buying online for better prices.

One last bit of advice...anytime someone is trying to sell you their old "top of the line" scuba gear ask yourself...Why? Why would they be selling their top of the line gear? :wink:

Don't listen to these horse salesmen. :D Go to your LDS, buy a few things, get a relationship started with one you like. After you have some experience and know what you want then think about buying online for better prices.

....after you tried out and found what you like, if it happens to be Jets or Atomics, I have em. WHY.... Jets fell to the Frogs, and I never liked splits, just had try them out. BTW I don't have, or even like horses.

Well, interesting.

k-valve,
I am not worried about the bug. I really couldn't care what happens to your bug. It will probably still be alive the next time I logon to SB. My laptop screen . . . . . that might be a different issue.

That's what I am worried about.

Well, interesting.

k-valve,
I am not worried about the bug. I really couldn't care what happens to your bug. It will probably still be alive the next time I logon to SB. My laptop screen . . . . . that might be a different issue.

That's what I am worried about.

He...he...he...:D

One thing they haven't mentioned in here: From my experiences, Split Fins do not produce near the power at the surface that they do under the water. A good snorkel fin to go with should be solid (even jet fins don't produce the same power as a solid fin) and a little longer than a traditional SCUBA fin. But, as said before, ask the shop to try out the fins in their pool, and see which style fits your kicking style best.

BTW I don't have, or even like horses.

Ha! Being a product of East Texas myself I can only say that my family wore the term "Horse Trader" as a badge of honor. 'Course many of the men on that side of the family were a fun-lovin', wild bunch anyway. They didn't own horses either. :wink:

We are planning a trip to Cabo, never been BTW, in July and I thought I'd at least get some gear that would be suitable for snorkeling. It's a family trip with a wedding thrown in and I am not sure that I'll even have time to snorkel or exactly what is available in Cabo. I'm not certified for diving but plan on eventually doing it.

What I would like to do is start with some gear that would be better than the resort rental crap, enjoy some snorkeling in Cabo, but have gear that could be used later for both. I wouldn't mind, eventually, some Texas lake dives and dives on the occasional family trip.

I have already been told to get some open heel fins and boots. Can some of the pro's point me in the right direction?

Buy mask, snorkel and open heel fins now.
(mask, whatever fits the best; snorkel, dry if you'll actually be snorkeling; avoid split fins as they have limited functionality and power when you need it IMHO)

Rent a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit in Cabo as you'll be in the Pacific and it's a LOT colder than most of the diving you'll do in Texas. Texas divers can usually get by with a 3mm wetsuit until winter, so I'd suggest 3mm or 5mm to purchase for your regular use and just rent warmer suits when you need it, like in the Pacific.

Ha! Being a product of East Texas myself I can only say that my family wore the term "Horse Trader" as a badge of honor. 'Course many of the men on that side of the family were a fun-lovin', wild bunch anyway. They didn't own horses either. :wink:

That's interesting. Trading in horses they didn't own. That used to be a hangin' offense. :D

That's interesting. Trading in horses they didn't own. That used to be a hangin' offense. :D

Well...I did say they were a wild bunch...but they used the term pretty loosely. I think they thought of a horse trader as someone who would come out on the winning end on most any deal...which they usually did one way or another...buncha silver-tounged devils that they were. :wink:

For snorkeling, I would recommend a Mares Quattro/Tre or a Cressi-sub full foot fin. I use the Mares when I play U/W hockey. The full foot fin is more efficient and will really move you through the water and have great manueverability.

However depending upon where you are diving, you might want to go with open heel fins and booties. Rocky shores can really tear your feet up. I have a pair of Teva sanals that I wear to and from the water and then put on my fins and then use a carabiner to connect the sandals to my belt (in the back) and just drag them along. Or if I am getting out in the same place I entered the water, I just leave the sandals on the beach and hope no-one steals them. (they are cheap and old and ratty sandals)

I have 3 pairs of fins that I actively use (I have severl other pair that are old and I have stopped using) depending upon what type of diving I am doing. (dry suit, wetsuit, snorkeling, shore diving, boat diving) My preference is to use the full foots whenever possible.

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom