Snorkel/Dive gear newbie questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonsay

Registered
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Cabo, never been BTW, in July and I thought I'd at least get some gear that would be suitable for snorkeling. It's a family trip with a wedding thrown in and I am not sure that I'll even have time to snorkel or exactly what is available in Cabo. I'm not certified for diving but plan on eventually doing it.

What I would like to do is start with some gear that would be better than the resort rental crap, enjoy some snorkeling in Cabo, but have gear that could be used later for both. I wouldn't mind, eventually, some Texas lake dives and dives on the occasional family trip.

I have already been told to get some open heel fins and boots. Can some of the pro's point me in the right direction?

If you plan on getting into diving, then buy dive gear now.
Recommended: Buy fins, mask, snorkel -- all of them dive quality. Your local dive shop will set you up. It's not exactly cheap. The mask, fins, snorkel set will set you back about $200 - $400 depending on what you buy.

I highly recommend it though. Diving has been a thoroughly rewarding hobby for me. It's the one hobby I fall back to when life seems to be strangling me. Just my 2 cents.

I might suggest that you purchase your snorkel/dive gear from a dive shop that you eventually will use for your OW cert. Most shops give a price break on OW cert if you buy your mask, fins, snorkel from them.

Welcome to the Board! And good luck! Of course, you realize, you are required to post a trip report?? It's the price you have to pay for asking questions and participating in the Swamp forum. Just so you know up front.

We are planning a trip to Cabo, never been BTW, in July and I thought I'd at least get some gear that would be suitable for snorkeling. It's a family trip with a wedding thrown in and I am not sure that I'll even have time to snorkel or exactly what is available in Cabo. I'm not certified for diving but plan on eventually doing it.

What I would like to do is start with some gear that would be better than the resort rental crap, enjoy some snorkeling in Cabo, but have gear that could be used later for both. I wouldn't mind, eventually, some Texas lake dives and dives on the occasional family trip.

I have already been told to get some open heel fins and boots. Can some of the pro's point me in the right direction?

All divers start with mask fins and snorkel, some add wet suit also.

Have fun in Cabo.

regards,

With the exception of the snorkel, all of those items are ones you will want to try on. If you are planning to dive this gear head down to your local dive shop for advice. Hit more than one store and ask them if they can give you any kind of package deal. Dive shops don't all carry the same brands either. One will be a ScubaPro dealer and the next will carry Aqualung. Check 'em all out.

Here's what you need:

Snorkel...any will work, but a lot of folks like dry snorkels so they don't worry so much about sucking water by accident. Personally, I hate snorkels. I usually carry something I can fold up in my pocket if I carry one at all. Definitely a personal preference.

Wet Suit...you're going to get what you pay for here and can easily spend several hundred dollars. Cheap wetsuits are available for less than $100 though. Lots of choices too. 3mm, 5mm, 7mm thickness...thicker is warmer...and also harder to don and doff. Shorty, Farmer John, and full styles. You can get them lined, or not...stretchy, or not...wrist and neck seals, or not...you get the picture. :wink: Personally, I wouldn't let anyone talk you into one of these so early on. Rent different wet suits. Try 'em out until you find one you like. Go to more than one store and try out different brands. I like Pinnacles, but they're pricey.

Booties - You need a pair of these for walking around before and after the dive and to wear with open-heeled fins. No need to spend a ton of money, but I'd suggest something that covers your ankle, otherwise you might end up with blisters, etc from your fins.

Mask - Once again you usually get what you pay for. Masks are all about getting one with the proper fit. I prefer double-lens, black skirt masks, but the best mask I ever owned had a single-lens, clear skirt. The most expensive mask I ever owned was also the least dependable. Go figure. :D Look for soft, double-skirted, medical grade silicone. When you put the mask on your face (without the strap in place) and suck in through your nose it should seal tightly to your face and not fall off. If it doesn't seal, it doesn't fit...look for something else. Try on lots of different masks at different stores.

Fins - there are lots of different styles and colors of fins. All the manufactures have some kind of unique feature that they tout as being the next best thing since sliced bread...split fins, power bands...blah, blah, blah. I've had $200+ fins and fins that have cost less than $100. Personally, I like fins that are plain and simple like the ScubaPro jet fins. OMS makes a similar model that is lighter in weight. Split fins are comfy, but if you really need to get up and go you won't be able to...I don't care what anyone tells you. This is definitely a Keep It Simple Category IMHO. You'll pay less if you skip all those fancy features and you'll get a more durable, dependable fin. Open-heeled is the only "must do" in this category. Other than that just find one you like. I'd recommend trying on lots of different fins. Ask the shop if they'll let you try several of them out in their pool. They should...if they don't the go somewhere else. Of all the basic gear you're buying the mask and fins are the most critical. Make sure you get something that works for you...it'll save you money and aggravation in the long run.

Good luck!!!

Chime in here --
I absolutely agree with everything k-valve just said. For emphasis, SIMONSAY, go back and read everything that k-valve just wrote. Trust me. You missed some subtle point in there. Go back and read it again.

k-valve,
You and I have to talk. I have a problem with your signature line. That little creepy, crawly bug freaks me out every time. What can I do to get you to change it?

Your avatar doesn't say what part of Texas you're in, but if you have a size 10 or so foot size, maybe I can help you save a bit on fins. I have ScubaPro Jets and Oceanic splits, both in almost new condition, either for $75.00.

~tony

You and I have to talk. I have a problem with your signature line. That little creepy, crawly bug freaks me out every time. What can I do to get you to change it?

I love the bug! Just stop trying to squash it on your computer screen and it'll be OK. :D

It's not the bug that I am worried about.

I have a pair of Omega Amphibian fins for sale $50

and a pair of top of the line Scubapro split fins for $150

email me at shawntv@austin.rr.com if interested.

Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom