Snorkel Assistance please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon Eye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First let me preface my post with my previous snorkel. It was an all black snorkel with a wide barrel tube and bendy end to the mouthpiece. I call it the "old school" snorkel. I learned to use it and clear it just fine.

Now onto today. I have a supposedly "dry" snorkel with a purge valve. I've also downed a lot of lake water when I had to use it. I cleared, and got water. I thought "maybe I blew too much or too fast" then cleared with less force. Still water in the snorkel. Then I tried turning my head to help it clear, again water..... Any tips and tricks with the purge valve? Should I just glue it shut? Any better snorkel recommendations you can give me to look at?

I would like to have one that I feel I can use and properly clear. I should probably add that after my check out dives the "stupid snorkel" has stayed home. I really haven't missed it or the water it liked me to drink.

nothing wrong, you just need more practice. the basic J snorkel is enough, although one with a deep well under the bite piece and a purge can make it easier. dry snorkels are just extra drag on your mask during the dive.

with practice you'll learn when and how to clear it effectively, and of course always inhale slowly to ensure you inhale any remaining water. if your face is down you can breathe through a partially flooded snorkel, the air will burp through and the water will stay in the bottom of the snorkel so long as you don't inhale too sharply.

Tip:

If you really need a snorkel, get the cheapest and simplest one, or a foldable snorkel to tuck away in a pocket...

IMO, a snorkel is just an annoyance, and not really needed unless you are doing a course, or just snorkeling...

I picked up a Sidewinder on sale at my LDS. It's great for shore dives with a bit of swell. I can bend it forwards for a backstroke, bend it back for face-down snorkeling, or bent out of the way during the dive.

Dragon Eye

2 things to consider:

1. Get 3 small tie wraps and cinch the mouthpiece and both ends of the flex tube, just like a regulator mouth piece. Most of those soft parts barely engage and they can leak.

2, You mention moving your head fast and that is a red flag. I have seen some purge snorkels where the mushroom valve is not well shielded. On those models a quick swish can peel the valve open momentarily letting water in. If you have one of those then it's either adjust your technique, learn to tolerate it, pot the valve in epoxy or get another model.

Pete

Last edited:
A purge valve on a snorkel (or mask for that matter) is unnecessary and provides one more way for water to enter. A simple tube with mouthpiece is all that is necessary.

Purge valves are designed to be a one way valve to let the water out. Low quality or poorly maintained valves may not work well.

If a snorkel is needed and regular J-tube snorkel works fine then great! I would try to return the non-working dry snorkel if possible. I think it all depends on the brand and model of snorkel.

If it is choppy with overhead when using a snorkel, then a snorkel with a diverter is nice. Some semidry snorkels that work well:
Aqua Lung Impulse 3
Gull or Riffe Stable
TUSA Platina II SP-170

You will not get any water into your mouth or residual water gurgling in the tube with these semidry snorkels.

I have the same snorkel (funny, Dragon Eye and I bought ours together). They sucked when they were brand new. Its supposed to be a decent snorkel. They've only been used a handful of times and have been thoroughly cleaned after every use.

The thing is, you just can't buy a plain old tube snorkel anymore - I looked before I bought these! I think I'm going to epoxy mine shut to resemble a plain tube snorkel. Then I'm leaving it in the bag unless I'm diving in chop and know I'll need to do some surface swimming or wait for the boat for a while.

Dragon Eye:
First let me preface my post with my previous snorkel. It was an all black snorkel with a wide barrel tube and bendy end to the mouthpiece. I call it the "old school" snorkel. I learned to use it and clear it just fine.

Go back to it or one like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom