PADI Divemaster 800m snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A
Realistically, if you can even see someone in the chop from 800 m away, if they're really in trouble, snorkeling there in 20 minutes is likely futile anyway. There's a reason IronMen do this instead of snorkeling:

iu
It is always helpful to argue something from the extreme point of view.

As an instructor I have conducted about 120+ of these 800 yd swim tests…and no one has ever failed them. It is usually the 400 yd swim test that DMCs struggle with and you said you completed that test already.

I think you are over thinking this. Use your favorite mask, snorkel and fins. Jump in, relax, and just do it. Set a nice pace for self. And at the end you should do just fine; you already proved you self if you only need two points after completing the other four water assessments.

I vividly remember starting out for my 800 metre snorkel after completing the 400 metre swim. Training pools for Scuba divers, and lifeguards on the beach is a luxury in Asia. I sensed my instructor’s resolve was to put me to the test, believing I was unique, a prodigy between East and West. Still, I wasn’t perturbed, for I knew I had prepared well for all contingencies. Westerners rarely come to this island paradise. He allowed me a few minutes to recuperate before sending me out to complete the second-leg. Snorkelling in the ocean gives you a sense of freedom; the waves choppy, and my foldable snorkel was taking in water. I should have taken my other mask and the stiffer snorkel. A good thing to know is that shark sightings are rare in Asia. I didn’t know if it was 400 or 500 metres before I made the turn back to the island. Without a minute to spare he had me treading water close to shore. The winds began to howl and my instructor realized he needed to get his boat back to the mainland with the passengers and crew intact. He called off the test and we headed back to the mainland—the boat tossing violently into the wind.

Happy to say I've passed and am now part of the pro ranks. I tried both arms at my side and arms in front (like I usually dive). Could be my imagination but arms in front seemed to help keep my legs more in the water and utilize more of the fins' power. I used the fins shown in my profile pic. All those turns were annoying and I pretty quickly lost count. I just tried to keep heads down and take it one length at a time. Figured at one of the turns there eventually would be an instructor there telling me I'm done. Pushing off the wall helpful but tricky to get a good foot push versus wimpy fin tip push. Definitely a good workout. I'd say main issue was the relatively short leg strokes I had to use to keep the fins in the water. I feel a lot more powerful and easy kicking underwater than doing this. Anyway, glad it's done. Thanks for all the ideas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom