Liveaboard trip report 07/15/2023 - 7/22/2023 Sea of Cortez with Nautilus Belle Amie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolisopen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Liveaboard trip report

07/15/2023 - 7/22/2023 Sea of Cortez with Nautilus Belle Amie

Overall, this was a 6/10 trip for me and my wife as our first liveaboard trip. We had some great snorkeling/diving during the week and met many cool people during the trip. However, some passengers on the boat may have relatively negative experience.

Day 1 (07/15):

Arrive in San Jose del Cabo (SJD). Th original plan was to gather at the dive shop (SeaCreatures) and the company will shuttle us to board Nautilus Belle Amie. However, there was some issue and the company couldn’t get the permit to leave from La Paz, so we end up departing from Cabo marina. This was convenient for us but for some fellow passengers they planned their trips from/to LaPaz and it caused some trouble for them.

Day 2 (07/16):

First day of diving with morning dive as a shake out dive, shallow, close to shore and no current. We had two more dives on the same day (3 dives in total) and they were great, we saw a couple of seals and sea lions, viz was amazing.

Day 3 (07/17):

Since we left from Cabo instead of La Paz, the third day became to be the travel day (we probably missed one day of diving due to this). The crew scheduled some snorkeling, however, we only spotted common dolphins and they are not interested in human interaction. Jumped into water from Zodiac a few times but didn’t get any luck with snorkeling.

Day 4 (07/18):

Whale shark snorkeling day. This is a snorkeling day with whale sharks, epic day, this is our first time seeing whale sharks and it was a lot of fun. The event was well organized and we had a lot of time hanging out with whale sharks.

Day 5 (07/19):

4 dives on the fourth day, tons of sea lions and seals, also big green jack ball and schools of fish. The usual lobster, eel, sea turtle etc. Some corals, but nothing eye-opening. The sunset dive was amazing. The only negative was I didn’t like the DM for our first dive (bad choice of route and we had to swim against current for 20 minutes, he planned the dive to be max 70 ft but we went to 95 ft, so bad planning as well) but we changed to another DM led group afterwards and everything was smooth.

Day 6 (07/20):

3 dives, OK viz, had fun.

Day 7 (07/21):

Last day of diving (three dives). Probably the best viz during the whole trip. My wife and I did two dives and skipped last dive as we were flying back to Texas the next day. I heard the last dive was not worth it either, lots of current and nothing big spotted.

Day 7 (07/22):

Returned back to Marina in the early morning and flew back home in the afternoon.

Positives:

Super friendly and welcoming crew. We had great experience with them and fellow divers on board. Food was great, the standard state room is spacious and our stay was comfortable. My wife is not very experienced, the sea condition was mostly calm and it was a nice playground for her to build confidence and enjoy diving.

Negative:

We stayed in lower deck state rooms so we were not affected, however, the upper deck staterooms’ AC units broke down and many passengers had to suffer the Mexico heat for most of their trip. The crew tried to fix the problem and did get it working by last two days of the trip however, it wasn’t good experience for the passengers who were impacted. The dining room AC unit also broke down, besides some minor issues (coffee machine, ice maker, DVD player). Nothing big for us personally, however, it can be annoying when everything adds up. The company offered each passenger $425 credit as a compensation for the bad experience, which is a nice gesture (we bought two Nautilus lifeline and some wine with the credit, which is score for us two)

The company markets that they have a spotter plane to help find wild animals and is over-marketing the experience in my opinion. (They mentioned large school of modular rays, Orca, sperm Whale etc), however, besides the almost guaranteed whale sharks and sea lions/seals, we didn’t catch any surprises.

Overall:

Water temperature was mostly in low 80s with occasional cold currents (we brought 5mms but 3mm probably is enough) All dives were done in and out of Panga (Zodiac).

I think both of us fell in love with the liveaboard way of travel and is planning to do a Red Sea liveaboard for next summer. However, for more experienced liveaboard travelers, this trip probably is a meh and there are better options. It’s also a new route from the company and from what I Heard the current route design just doesn’t offer as much as build-up classics like Socorro/Golapagas etc.

Thanks for the report. Good coverage and concise.

This was a combo scuba/snorkeling trip or you snorkeled while they went diving nearby?

I was shocked to read a company was giving some compensation for problematic experiences. A credit won't useful to everyone but it's more than zero.

I prefer liveaboards myself as I like the experiences I get and it's dive, dive, dive until done after which I can do everything without fear of getting sick. The main downside is the cost is per person.

Thanks for the report. Good coverage and concise.

This was a combo scuba/snorkeling trip or you snorkeled while they went diving nearby?

I was shocked to read a company was giving some compensation for problematic experiences. A credit won't useful to everyone but it's more than zero.

I prefer liveaboards myself as I like the experiences I get and it's dive, dive, dive until done after which I can do everything without fear of getting sick. The main downside is the cost is per person.
Hi,

It’s a combo snorkeling/diving trip as the whale shark encounter is planned to be snorkeling only.

Yes I liked the way they handled the AC situation. The crew was very sorry and we used the credits to buy two Nautilus lifeline devices and some wine. The owner wrote a letter to us to explain what went wrong and promised to install a full back up AC system onto the boat for future trips. It might be bad experience for some customers on this trip but I won’t say it’s a terrible company either.

We love the liveaboard way of travel a lot! Plan to do Red Sea next summer as it’s very affordable and I was impressed by reef system in Sharm El Sheikh this year and want to see more there.

The dining room AC unit also broke down, besides some minor issues (coffee machine, ice maker, DVD player).
Thanks for the report! Just to make sure I understand correctly, it sounds like there was no AC in some of the cabins and at the same time there was no AC in the dining room? At the same time the coffee maker, ice machine and dvd player weren't working? If that's true I would expect more than a $425 credit.

Thanks for the report! Just to make sure I understand correctly, it sounds like there was no AC in some of the cabins and at the same time there was no AC in the dining room? At the same time the coffee maker, ice machine and dvd player weren't working? If that's true I would expect more than a $425 credit.
the brewing pot was broken for maybe two days but we still have espresso machine. The ice machine was slow for one day but they bought ice from a nearby town. DVD player only plays blue-ray but they stocked mostly non-blue ray DVDs. The dining room AC was not working for maybe three days, but the lounge room AC was working so it also wasn't a major deal. I did want to mention them as when things pile up, you start to question their maintenance on their appliance.

To my observation, the biggest thing was the not working AC for upper deck cabin folks, we were luckily not impacted.

Great report. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I have not been on a liveaboard, but planning on it at some point. Look forward to hearing about the Red Sea trip. I am hoping to make a trip there at some point next year.

I haven't been to that area. One benefit I like about being on liveaboards is it is usually much cooler (and no mosquitos) than being on land in the same area. It was still pretty hot on the boat? Your being from the heat of Austin TX makes think it must have been pretty hot then.

Money and communication from the owner?! So many other stories of low standards of other operators makes me grateful for an operator that does something. And then an owner that actually responds and makes an effort is... amazing. Not suggesting you change anything about your opinion, I am just amazed to hear of a somewhat positive story.

Thanks for the comprehensive report. We will be on the Belle Amie soon and we are in an upper deck room. No A/C is really unacceptable. I hope it gets resolved for all the future trips. Sounds like she needs to be dry-docked and overhauled.

Thanks for the comprehensive report. We will be on the Belle Amie soon and we are in an upper deck room. No A/C is really unacceptable. I hope it gets resolved for all the future trips. Sounds like she needs to be dry-docked and overhauled.
Hi, they have replaced all problematic ACs with new units. The owner wrote us a letter an d promise to install a full backup system, which I am not sure if it has been done yet. The boat is just back from maintenance and is actually in very good condition. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom