Best location to get certified as PADI Dive Master in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow divers :)

I'm a 32yo supply chain manager based in Europe currently planning a 4-6 month sabbatical period, during which I'm considering to invest a couple months on getting certified as a divemaster in Indonesia. I'm not a super experienced diver (only 33 logged dives), but I have PADI AOW certification and have been on liveaboards in Komodo, Cozumel and Sharm El Sheik.

What would be the best location for this? Any specific dive centers you would recommend?

Some considerations from my side:
- The locations I'm aware of and currently considering are Gili Islands, Komodo or Raja Ampat, but open to others.
- I'm doing this for fun and as a personal challenge i.e. no commercial objectives for now, but who knows :) Eventually I would like to be confident enough to go dive in Galapagos :)
- I'm aware I need at least another 7 dives and rescue diver certification before going for divemaster, so potentially thinking of doing this in a different location first (e.g. Gili T for rescue and 7 dives, then Raja Ampat for Divemaster).
- The opportunity to meet like-minded people and socialize is just as important as the diving during this experience, so I wouldn't want to be stuck in a hut by myself for weeks at a time.

Thanks!
Mau

Go to Indonesia and do some more diving around various areas then find out for yourself.

With 33 dives you have very little experience and working on a bare minimum to start DM probably isn't the best way to tackle this.

With additional dives and traveling around getting experience in other dive centres you'll probably find a place that you click with and enjoy.

DM is not really going to help your skill set other than working classes and guiding. Spend the money and going diving in as many environments as you can as that would be better for building skills.

Agreed with the above. Spend time diving and getting experience. Like @NorCalDM said, dive as many different environments as you can. Take a Rescue class first and then see if you want to go the DM route.

Honestly, I wouldn't even think about a DM until you get 100 under your belt. Just my $0.02

I think... for Indonesia. You can try bali for diving as well as dive master training.

Thanks a lot for the experienced advice! :)

My worry is that becoming a divemaster takes a couple months, so this sabbatical period might be my only chance to really focus on it, and this is something I set myself as a goal of personal achievement.

But point taken, so I think I will head over there to dive around a bit and potentially decide on the spot if any dive centers particularly appeal to me and would like to take me on for the program.

Any other input and experience on the different diving areas of Indonesia are highly appreciated.

If you're set on doing it then go for it. You may want to check out Laguna Gili Dive Center in Lombok. I have dove with one of their instructors "Goto" in the Philippines and he is an excellent diver/instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom