• NO, I don't use a snorkel and I am primarily a RECREATIONAL diver

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • YES, I use a snorkel and I am primarily a TECHNICAL diver

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • NO, I don't use a snorkel and I am primarily a TECHNICAL diver

Votes: 16 11.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mig_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a continuation of the snorkel vs. no snorkel thread in this forum. Hopefully this will show people at a glance how many divers use a snorkel, and how many don't. I have tried to make this poll as simple as possible :)

... and when I say "use" I also mean "carry"

And that will get you very misleading results.

I carry a folding snorkel, like I carry a safety sausage and signal mirror. Since going to my current gear configuration, I've never deployed any of them.

So what information does this poll, as formulated, give you?

I wasn't sure how to vote but voted YES because I do carry a snorkel. I leave it on the boat though as I see no use for it bottomside. On my second sea dive however we bumped into a Whaleshark on the surface and I was delighted to have had my snorkel with me. I spent a good amount of time swimming right alongside this monstrous beauty - something I would not have been able to do without my snorkel.

I voted no (and am a recreational diver). I only wear it if I have to (like on a course or if someone on the boat asked me to). I hate the stupid thing as it has some kind of purge thing on the bottom that leaks water. I will start to wear one though, once I get one of those fold up ones that people keep mentioning here, just in case.

I think the question was simple.
If you carry a snorkel on your person while diving, then you have the intent of using it at some point or another. The answer would be "Yes"
I carry one in my equipment bag, but I don't dive with it (snorkeling only) So the answer is "No"

I've never seen a fold up snorkel. But, isn't it a pain to have to attach it to your mask whenever if you need it? Or is it attached another way. Sorry this is probably a stupid question.

If you carry a snorkel on your person while diving, then you have the intent of using it at some point or another. The answer would be "Yes"

I'm not so sure the question was so simple. You make a distinction here of "on your person while diving" which was not specified in the original question. Like I said, I voted YES because "I do use a snorkel" (as option 1 states) even though I don't carry it on my person while diving. At the same time I'm not particularly fond of snorkelling so I would probably only ever use it while on a SCUBA trip.

I agree with Reefduffer that this seems to be a less than useful definition...

I'd separate "carry" from "wear on mask"....but this is your poll

Not quite so....intent to use is/can be totally unrelated to this issue...
As an instructor, I am required by my agency(ies) to have a snorkel on my person. I do not expect to ever use it, except for snorkeling without my scuba...

...other divers carry snorkels on their person as required by specific dive sites (some beach localities in CA, for example) or dive operator/boat rules. They carry not because they intend to use, but because it is a required piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom