Where to stay in Coron?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bballnut90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm traveling to Coron next month and am unsure of where to stay in hopes of doing some great diving/snorkeling without being suck with super long boat rides to dive sites. Ideally I'd like to dive Irako/Okikawa Maru, but am open to other wrecks. Would also like to visit Barracuda Lake/Kayangan Lake if it's worth it, although happy to skip if there it's mostly barren lake diving. Would also love to be able to snorkel from the beach too.

Some current options I'm looking at:
Two Seasons Island Resort-looks stunning, has a house reef which people say has nice snorkeling in reviews, but it's far from Irako/Okikawa Maru (1.5 hour boat ride each way) and Barracuda/Kayangan. Resort is isolated but has activities on site that might make it more comfortable.

Sangat Island Dive Resort-great location being close to wrecks and snorkeling looks solid, but at the same time is pretty isolated from other non-diving activities without a great resort feel like Two Seasons.

Busuanga Bay Lodge-similar to Sangat Island Dive Resort, looks a little nicer but I'm not sure how accessible snorkeling is? Also

Staying in Coron Town-I looked at options here, seems like the downside is there's no convenient snorkeling nearby unless you rent a boat or do a tour. The pros is that you have more restaurants and it's probably the most centrally located spot, but I also like the idea of being away from people.

If any one has stayed at any of these spots and has feedback or recommendations I'd love to hear.

I'm traveling to Coron next month and am unsure of where to stay in hopes of doing some great diving/snorkeling without being suck with super long boat rides to dive sites. Ideally I'd like to dive Irako/Okikawa Maru, but am open to other wrecks. Would also like to visit Barracuda Lake/Kayangan Lake if it's worth it, although happy to skip if there it's mostly barren lake diving. Would also love to be able to snorkel from the beach too.

Some current options I'm looking at:
Two Seasons Island Resort-looks stunning, has a house reef which people say has nice snorkeling in reviews, but it's far from Irako/Okikawa Maru (1.5 hour boat ride each way) and Barracuda/Kayangan. Resort is isolated but has activities on site that might make it more comfortable.

Sangat Island Dive Resort-great location being close to wrecks and snorkeling looks solid, but at the same time is pretty isolated from other non-diving activities without a great resort feel like Two Seasons.

Busuanga Bay Lodge-similar to Sangat Island Dive Resort, looks a little nicer but I'm not sure how accessible snorkeling is? Also

Staying in Coron Town-I looked at options here, seems like the downside is there's no convenient snorkeling nearby unless you rent a boat or do a tour. The pros is that you have more restaurants and it's probably the most centrally located spot, but I also like the idea of being away from people.

If any one has stayed at any of these spots and has feedback or recommendations I'd love to hear.
you can rent an entire boat to island hop for under a hundred bucks for the day. visiting and snorkeling. the only thing on Coron worth diving is the wrecks and they are the most fun ive had diving ever.

This is probably a bit late, and you have already made plans. I'd vote for Sangat Island Dive resort, which is what I did for a bit over a week in June 2023. Very close to the the wrecks, short boat ride out, and you return for lunch before heading out again - very chill and you can fit in a lot of diving. You can go kayaking, snorkelling - not solely diving if that's what you're interested in. Definitely the wrong spot for nightlife. You go for the wrecks, not reefs. Don't be expecting amazing vis either.

The day boats from Coron - it's a long, slow ride out and back, noisy, and you spend the entire day on the boat. Undoubtedly cheaper.

At Sangat, I had a beach bungalow, and the setting is picture perfect serene. My bungalow didn't have hot water or aircon, fine by me - but others do for an extra charge. There's wifi only in the main dining / reception areas if that matters to you.

Barracuda Lake is a novelty for your Insta posts. It's certainly different with the massive temperature inversion, and you should do it while you are there, but a single dive and you're done. Water temp was up to 40oC and even dessing down to just boardies, it was almost uncomfortable at times.

I stayed at Al Faro which is across the Bay from Busuanga Bay Lodge. Several of the folks I dove with stayed at the Busuagna Bay and enjoyed it. I dove with both D'Divers and Pirate divers(based at the Busanga Bay Lodge). While Centrals gave lots of great advice, When I was there Gunter had sold off his tech gear. Simon at Pirate had bought the tech gear and hired most of D'Divers old staff. Gunter has a nicer boat setup for diving, and Simon is renting Bancas from locals. Gunter led the dives (I was the only fellow there) with a trainee DM while Simon has several of Gunter's old DMs and a couple of UK DMs who also do the Coron to El Nido liveaboard. Gunter's shop manager Michelle is now managing Pirate Divers (Congrats to Michelle on election to the island council!) Pirate Divers Coron | PADI 5 Star Dive Center in Busuanga

1. I really liked Al Faro, great views, pool, food and the view. Wow. But no AC. Nice folks and the price was really reasonable. Food was better then the other two resorts. I could take the water taxi across to the other resorts, but not a lot of walking options.
2. I really like the location, right next to the Okiwara Maru (which I dove several times). It was an easy 10-30 minute boat ride out to the wrecks. Al Faro just dropped me off at the Pirate Divers / Gunter dock in the morning. 2 minute ride.
3. The wrecks were great! I didn't get to do Nanshin Maru as that was going to be a drive and another dive center (Dugong divers I believe)
4. You can get a paddle board / kayak and go out to snorkel if you want from Al Faro.

I did get an ear infection which shut me down after 8 dives. I would have had to go to Coron town, (And ended up flying to Bacalod to get to a ENT.)

Enjoy Coron!

This is probably a bit late, and you have already made plans. I'd vote for Sangat Island Dive resort, which is what I did for a bit over a week in June 2023. Very close to the the wrecks, short boat ride out, and you return for lunch before heading out again - very chill and you can fit in a lot of diving. You can go kayaking, snorkelling - not solely diving if that's what you're interested in. Definitely the wrong spot for nightlife. You go for the wrecks, not reefs. Don't be expecting amazing vis either.

The day boats from Coron - it's a long, slow ride out and back, noisy, and you spend the entire day on the boat. Undoubtedly cheaper.

At Sangat, I had a beach bungalow, and the setting is picture perfect serene. My bungalow didn't have hot water or aircon, fine by me - but others do for an extra charge. There's wifi only in the main dining / reception areas if that matters to you.

Barracuda Lake is a novelty for your Insta posts. It's certainly different with the massive temperature inversion, and you should do it while you are there, but a single dive and you're done. Water temp was up to 40oC and even dessing down to just boardies, it was almost uncomfortable at times.
Hi, my buddy ans I are looking to book Sangat for November, does the dive centre have twinsets (doubles) available and higher O2 stage cylinders for Deco ? (online info is very sparse). We like to spend a lot of time inside the wrecks. How was the resort ? Ideally we'd like to do 3 dives per day, is the diving flexible ?
Thanks in advance for your response. :D

Hi, my buddy ans I are looking to book Sangat for November, does the dive centre have twinsets (doubles) available and higher O2 stage cylinders for Deco ? (online info is very sparse). We like to spend a lot of time inside the wrecks. How was the resort ? Ideally we'd like to do 3 dives per day, is the diving flexible ?
Thanks in advance for your response. :D
Andy, I assume he still is the owner, should be able to answer your questions.
Twin set with 50 % should give you plenty of time to explore couple of the deeper wrecks eg. Akisushima and Irako.

@profmason
Mentioned that he has Gunter as guide! You can't ask for a more experienced guide than him. Andy probably won't agree with that.

I stayed at Al Faro which is across the Bay from Busuanga Bay Lodge. Several of the folks I dove with stayed at the Busuagna Bay and enjoyed it. I dove with both D'Divers and Pirate divers(based at the Busanga Bay Lodge). While Centrals gave lots of great advice, When I was there Gunter had sold off his tech gear. Simon at Pirate had bought the tech gear and hired most of D'Divers old staff. Gunter has a nicer boat setup for diving, and Simon is renting Bancas from locals. Gunter led the dives (I was the only fellow there) with a trainee DM while Simon has several of Gunter's old DMs and a couple of UK DMs who also do the Coron to El Nido liveaboard. Gunter's shop manager Michelle is now managing Pirate Divers (Congrats to Michelle on election to the island council!) Pirate Divers Coron | PADI 5 Star Dive Center in Busuanga

1. I really liked Al Faro, great views, pool, food and the view. Wow. But no AC. Nice folks and the price was really reasonable. Food was better then the other two resorts. I could take the water taxi across to the other resorts, but not a lot of walking options.
2. I really like the location, right next to the Okiwara Maru (which I dove several times). It was an easy 10-30 minute boat ride out to the wrecks. Al Faro just dropped me off at the Pirate Divers / Gunter dock in the morning. 2 minute ride.
3. The wrecks were great! I didn't get to do Nanshin Maru as that was going to be a drive and another dive center (Dugong divers I believe)
4. You can get a paddle board / kayak and go out to snorkel if you want from Al Faro.

I did get an ear infection which shut me down after 8 dives. I would have had to go to Coron town, (And ended up flying to Bacalod to get to a ENT.)

Enjoy Coron!
Useful info! I'm thinking of diving with Gunter, but wondering if may be better with Pirate. Would you recommend one over the other? Many thanks

Useful info! I'm thinking of diving with Gunter, but wondering if may be better with Pirate. Would you recommend one over the other? Many thanks
I had booked gunter for 2 days and pirate for 3 days. I decided to take my second day with gunter as a rest and recovery day. Coron diving is amazing and I wish my body would have let me do more. Gunter has a nicer boat. Pirate was more eager to visit places farther afield. In both cases it was generally just me and the DM (with pirate we dived my tanks when I was the only person) Simon and Gunter are well versed in Deco and we had some significant deco on some of the pirate dives (I forget if this is a tech discussion or not?)

I had booked gunter for 2 days and pirate for 3 days. I decided to take my second day with gunter as a rest and recovery day. Coron diving is amazing and I wish my body would have let me do more. Gunter has a nicer boat. Pirate was more eager to visit places farther afield. In both cases it was generally just me and the DM (with pirate we dived my tanks when I was the only person) Simon and Gunter are well versed in Deco and we had some significant deco on some of the pirate dives (I forget if this is a tech discussion or not?)
We will do something similar I think. This has been really helpful. Great info on deco too thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom