Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot find where these folks receive their funding

From people who believe 16.3 * 5 = 1.3 no doubt.

I recently watched the Ken Burns special on the Vietnam war. One of the former North Vietnamese soldiers who was interviewed talked about how easy it was to track and ambush American patrols. All you had to do was follow the trail of cigarette butts. You always knew where they were because of their heavy smoking.
Great series, if you have not watched it, you should. Whether you are my age, 64, draft ended the year I was to face it with a lottery number of 6, or any other age, it's a very educational show. I learned a tremendous amount. Thanks to @boulderjohn for referencing it.

@Roger Hobden

I was on a 2 week back to back liveaboard in the Red Sea in September with a company that is run by and attracts many Germans/Austrians. There was a group on the first week that smoked heavily when we were not in the water during all surface intervals. Worse yet, they would take turns smoking in small groups while sitting together as a large group so it was smoke at all hours of the day. At 140 feet long, it was not a small boat by any means. However, they were smoking on the 3rd deck (out of 4) where it was surprisingly permissible which is where most people choose to hang out between dives because that’s where the bar, beanbags, and most of the seating is. They smoked under the overhang or while on the beanbags in the middle of the area and the smoke would go out the sides and back towards the rest of the seating. I’m not going to lie...it was disgusting. Why they don’t make them go up to the top (4th) deck is beyond me. We lucked out on the second week as there were fewer smokers.

Many locals in Egypt also smoke so between all that, I’ve had a lot of second hand smoke inhalation the last month.
I lived in Basel, Switzerland, for two years. It was amazing to see the percentage of people who smoked, all ages. It was certainly not affected by accurate medical information being disseminated. I believe there were skull and crossbones on some of the packs. This is a very highly educated county with a very high average level of living.

And, whoever thought it was a good idea to allow smoking at a restaurant? I hated that back when I was a smoker!
It may come as shock that some people may have different tastes or priorities ... :coffee:

Some people obviously enjoy the after meal cigarette and in some countries it is part of the culture. Not that I like it myself ...

Being a schedule 1 narcotic (up there with heroin and cocaine for reasons I will never understand), research on it is scarce. This is changing, and more information will be forthcoming. I agree with you, for now. Especially if you don't grow your own and can't verify the absence of pesticides. But, like I pointed out before, there's always edibles.
I must admit, your avatar has always given you the utmost in credibility :)

The same guy who thought it was a good idea to smoke on a plane.
I was in the coach seat right in front of the smoking section on my flights than I could count. So much for the nonsmoking section

I dive on 5 boats in SE Florida. On the best one, the captain smokes up on the bridge, I hang out up there and most of the smoke goes away. More than worth if for me, it's the best boat, by far.

Several boats allow vapors, I really hate the scented exhaust from these folks, it's nauseating

I don't smoke, but like the smell of burning tobacco. Go figure. Must be from all those years my football coached smoked his pipe during practice.

Those vapors smell like freaking potpourri and I dislike that.

I could care less if someone is smoking outside, smoking indoors is not cool. Most ordinances reflect that feeling.

It may come as shock that some people may have different tastes or priorities ... :coffee:

Yes, and the reason my priorities are better than theirs in this case, is because mine don't make other people want to puke.

I happen to like the smell of tobacco smoke as much now as I did before (only now I can smell it from a mile away upwind), but when someone takes that last drag on the cig, squashes the tip, and walks up the bus aisle exhaling and stuffing the roach into the pack, I am all for the ban.

Some people obviously enjoy the after meal cigarette and in some countries it is part of the culture. Not that I like it myself ...

I enjoyed a cigarette after a meal, but outside of the restaurant. I worked with one or two guys that would smoke during their break and eat a snowball at the same time. Snowballs (keep your minds clean about my user name!!) were sugary confections without a lot of flavor anyway, but I could never understand taking puffs between bites. I felt dining in a smoking restaurant was like taking a puff and a bite at the same time. I really noticed it when I visited an Alabama restaurant that separated the smoking/non-smoking sections with a four foot "barrier" after I had quit smoking for several years. It just grossed me out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom