Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Efka76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today i saw that my favorite dive center (i was diving with them and got few certifications) posted photos in Facebook where in one photo almost all divers (including instructor) are smoking. I was really pissed about that. Smoking and diving do not go together. I was surprised that diving center marketing manager is brainless idiot that posted such pic which contradicts PADI values and gives a very wrong message to new potential clients. For example, seeing such photo i would never choose such diving center. Also, if i would be diving center owner i would immediately fire such person fro stupidity.

What is your view about this?

If it's on a dive boat I have a huge issue with it. I've been on boats where the DM sat at the back smoking. It made my wife's seasickness worse and generally annoyed me. If it was on a dock or shore somewhere away from non-smokers I don't really care too much. But I do think people that dive and smoke are pretty stupid (but many years ago I was one of them, though I was very very respectful of nonsmokers and never smoked near anyone or a dive site).

I`s a big pleasure, to smoke cigarette after the nice dive, with cup of hot tea or coffe, sitting on the jumpdeck, when boat running on the waves... :)
Most normal DC, that I met, has place on the boat, where you can smoking without disturbing others.
also - rumors, that smoking increase you air consumtion during the dive - it is just rumors, or may be even opposit meaning - smoking can decrease air consumption under water :)

If it's on a dive boat I have a huge issue with it. I've been on boats where the DM sat at the back smoking. It made my wife's seasickness worse and generally annoyed me. If it was on a dock or shore somewhere away from non-smokers I don't really care too much. But I do think people that dive and smoke are pretty stupid (but many years ago I was one of them, though I was very very respectful of nonsmokers and never smoked near anyone or a dive site).

Yes, it was on a diving boat!

Yes, it was on a diving boat!

Then yeah, in North America I find it rude. As you can tell from our Russian friend, it's not rude in other parts of the world. Even 20 years ago when I smoked I felt it was rude on a boat and wouldn't do it.

I will admit back in the day a post-dive smoke was very nice. Now in retrospect it was a stupid, disgusting habit to have picked up.

As a non smoker I don't agree to smoking on a dive boat even if the owner of the boat has a smoking section.

I do have a bunch of friends that have recently changed to vaping on the boat and I have just about stopped diving with them at the moment. I normally sit at the back of the boat as it's the most comfortable place to be when bouncing over waves. Unfortunately this is where all the smokers sit too, and despite my protestations they still light up.

also - rumors, that smoking increase you air consumtion during the dive - it is just rumors, or may be even opposit meaning - smoking can decrease air consumption under water

Wait until you develop emphysema

I`s a big pleasure, to smoke cigarette after the nice dive, with cup of hot tea or coffe, sitting on the jumpdeck, when boat running on the waves... :)
Most normal DC, that I met, has place on the boat, where you can smoking without disturbing others.
also - rumors, that smoking increase you air consumtion during the dive - it is just rumors, or may be even opposit meaning - smoking can decrease air consumption under water :)

Smoking reduces lung capacity.

@Efka76 , if you hate smoking that much, you should join GUE. They do not allow their divers to smoke.

I have no problems with smokers so long as they’re far, far away from me and not stuck on a boat with me.

Posting pics of instructors smoking on Facebook is unbecoming of the shop and sends the wrong message for sure but maybe smoking is ok socially where you’re located so it hadn’t occurred to them?

Where I live, it’s rather uncool to smoke nowadays.

I have never been a smoker, and when someone on a dive boat lights up I move. I find it annoying when it happens just as I am annoyed by smokers anywhere. I hate having to hold my breath walking by people hanging around outside of buildings.
I just don't think it's my place to judge them or force my choices on them. You can choose to no longer use that shop, that is your right.

Back
Top Bottom