Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not the same, sitting beside you, in a car, with a beer is illegal. Smoking is not illegal it is just not recommended.

You obviously don't agree with the decision to post the picture nor believe that they should allow smoking, and you might have the right to fire them if it was your shop. Calling someone you disagree with a 'stupid person' is a behaviour that should have been left back in grade school.

This is exactly what you should do! Alligning yourself with an agency that reflects your personal beliefs and values is very appropriate. Same as you get to choose who you dive with to ensure you get the experience that is right for you.

Don't you think that dive center should at least promote some PADI values by not placing smokers photos on their official FB page? Nowadays value system really deteriorated in many areas of life. Dive center who does not care about smoking, might not care about proper equipment maintenance, might not care about sticking to learning standards, etc. Internet is very powerful.... one simple photo placed in FB by brainless person (i am still sticking to my opinion on this) might affect business severely. Why I am saying brainless? Because dive center employee does not have brain to understand that such action can cost a lot of lost customers.

For some reason the absurd belief that smoking improves your SAC rate--all evidence and all science to the contrary--is one of the most persistent in scuba. We had a thread about this a number of years ago. One of the posters talked about the local fire department dive rescue and recovery team. Those people in general did not smoke, but before a training session, they all choked down cigarette smoke because they had been taught that smoking would improve their diving.
Doh!

I'm old and only feel like beating up on my liver. I'm an ex-smoker, so I don't want to put anything in my lungs for fear of taking up smoking again. That being said, smelling pot doesn't offend me. I can see where parents might not like their kids smelling it, though.

I suspect many of us are ex-smokers, including me, but as you can tell, I’ve had a 180 degree change of heart about smoking.

Smoking anything around other people is a selfish behaviour. That’s because that other person will very likely breathe it in. The smoke is harming that other person. Simple as that.

I have encountered smokers on dive boats. In my experience, they have all been respectful. I know this will not have been everyone's experience. Nonetheless, I find the judgemental nature of some of the divers posting here just as off-putting as a disrespectful smoker, and hope not to be on a boat with you.
Judgemental people tend to spend all of their time complaining. Not what I want to listen to on a dive boat, that's all. I am there to relax.
I don't judge anyone. If somebody wants to smoke cigarettes (or pot) or get drunk that's their business. I don't do those things. Everybody already knows those things are bad for you, so if people choose to do that nothing you can say to them will change their mind.

Go stand pn the surface at Ressel in france and watch the russian gue divers.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. I’m just saying it’s a standards violation, pretty clear one at that.

Don't you think that dive center should at least promote some PADI values by not placing smokers photos on their official FB page? Nowadays value system really deteriorated in many areas of life. Dive center who does not care about smoking, might not care about proper equipment maintenance, might not care about sticking to learning standards, etc. Internet is very powerful.... one simple photo placed in FB by brainless person (i am still sticking to my opinion on this) might affect business severely. Why I am saying brainless? Because dive center employee does not have brain to understand that such action can cost a lot of lost customers.

I am not going to judge based on their smoking, and/or decision to post a picture of it. I will examine their equipment, I will evaluate their teaching. I will then make my own decisions based on what I find.
There is lots of s**t on the internet. As for losing customer because of a photo, I am sure they know their target clientele better that I would. It is true that they have probably lost one, you. If they are as big and famous as you say then maybe they consider the potiental loss acceptable.

OTOH, from a cardiovascular and respiratory point of view, 1 joint = 5 cigarettes.
Where are you getting this data?

From a scientific talk (that took place during a medical conference) on the physical impact of marijuana given by Dr Paul Poirier cardiologist on Wednesday 10 Octobre 2018 at 14:00 in Montreal.

https://eventmobi.com/camd2018/agen...e9bf64dc/742e8857-fbc3-48ac-bc92-48cacaedfbd8

Congrès annuel de médecine 2018 | Médecins francophones du Canada

Any other questions ?

Code d'accès requis

Cet événement nécessite un code d'accès, entrez-le pour continuer.

:rofl3: My Francais is non-existent, I am assuming the above means "we could tell you but then we'd have to kill you":

OTOH, from a cardiovascular and respiratory point of view, 1 joint = 5 cigarettes.

From a scientific talk (that took place during a medical conference) on the physical impact of marijuana given by Dr Paul Poirier cardiologist on Wednesday 10 Octobre 2018 at 14:00 in Montreal.

https://eventmobi.com/camd2018/agen...e9bf64dc/742e8857-fbc3-48ac-bc92-48cacaedfbd8

Any other questions ?

Now that cannabis is legal (in 4 days to be exact), I suspect there will be a lot more scientific research into its effects on a whole variety of things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom