Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think we need to attack @Efka76 . It's an interesting question that has generated quite a response.
And read literally, the original post is a statement of position regarding a Facebook photo, not a personal occurrence on a dive boat. It was followed by an invitation to comment. That's a pretty reasonable way to open a discussion.
I'm surprised you see it that way. It looks like a flame directed at a scuba business complete with name calling.
that diving center marketing manager is brainless idiot
I'm no mod or admin, but this is in basic scuba and it looks like it's in violation of the rules for this forum in the first place. Although much of the ensuing discussion was civil, that original post was anything but.

I think its entirely unreasonable to be upset by someone smoking in a picture though.

When did that stop anyone from having a fit of righteous indignation?

This thread has gone far afield, and some of the discussion is admittedly entertaining, possibly even interesting at times.

But, let's keep a focus on the original question that was asked. The original question had nothing to do with smoking marijuana (or eating it), for example. The OP was expressing an opinion about a dive shop using a picture on the shop FB page of divers smoking, and asking for the reaction of others.

I tend to agree with the OP - speaking from a US perspective, as a dive professional, I think it is foolishness and bad business to give an indication of condoning smoking and diving. If I was a shop owner, and an employee had the lack of common sense to post such pictures, I would possibly suggest that the employee consider alternate employment venues. In another culture, where smoking is still prevalent, that might not be true. But, as the negative primary and secondary effects of cigarette smoking have become more widely known, as has the addiction potential, it is hard to understand why people start. (And, I confess - I say that as someone who enjoys a cigar several times a year.)

I don't see the OP's comment in any way as a slam at the scuba industry, and I can understand the vigorous annoyance with the picture. Suggesting that an employee who posted such a picture in this day and age could be considered a brainless idiot really isn't name calling - no employee (or even the dive center) was named - it was so impersonal and detached, it hardly constituted a personal attack.

So, if you disagree with the OP, and don't think it is unwise from a business perspective to post such a picture, say so (and several posters have). That kind of feedback is what was being requested. Personally, I think is is. I use to tell one of my daughters, who seemed at one time to be unnecessarily fond of posting candid thoughts on Facebook about some of her restaurant co-workers - usually after a particularly busy night at work - that she should not do that, because her employer might well see those posts on FB. Yes, it was her personal FB page, but - as I told her - in the past I have decided against hiring people at times because of their behavior on their personal FB page.

Business owners - FB is not some detached, independent media platform that has no influence on business. Even your personal / individual FB page can reflect (positively or negatively) on your business. Something to think about.

Business owners - FB is not some detached, independent media platform that has no influence on business. Even your personal / individual FB page can reflect (positively or negatively) on your business. Something to think about.
I think this is important, and not just with smoking. There are definitely products and services I stay away from (not just scuba) because I do not want to patronize a business owned by someone who makes social media posts indicating some attitude or another to which I strongly object.

:rofl3: I strongly object to FB and don't have an account...

This thread has gone far afield, and some of the discussion is admittedly entertaining, possibly even interesting at times.

But, let's keep a focus on the original question that was asked. The original question had nothing to do with smoking marijuana (or eating it), for example. The OP was expressing an opinion about a dive shop using a picture on the shop FB page of divers smoking, and asking for the reaction of others.

I tend to agree with the OP - speaking from a US perspective, as a dive professional, I think it is foolishness and bad business to give an indication of condoning smoking and diving. If I was a shop owner, and an employee had the lack of common sense to post such pictures, I would possibly suggest that the employee consider alternate employment venues. In another culture, where smoking is still prevalent, that might not be true. But, as the negative primary and secondary effects of cigarette smoking have become more widely known, as has the addiction potential, it is hard to understand why people start. (And, I confess - I say that as someone who enjoys a cigar several times a year.)

I don't see the OP's comment in any way as a slam at the scuba industry, and I can understand the vigorous annoyance with the picture. Suggesting that an employee who posted such a picture in this day and age could be considered a brainless idiot really isn't name calling - no employee (or even the dive center) was named - it was so impersonal and detached, it hardly constituted a personal attack.

So, if you disagree with the OP, and don't think it is unwise from a business perspective to post such a picture, say so (and several posters have). That kind of feedback is what was being requested. Personally, I think is is. I use to tell one of my daughters, who seemed at one time to be unnecessarily fond of posting candid thoughts on Facebook about some of her restaurant co-workers - usually after a particularly busy night at work - that she should not do that, because her employer might well see those posts on FB. Yes, it was her personal FB page, but - as I told her - in the past I have decided against hiring people at times because of their behavior on their personal FB page.

Thank you Sir. Very good comment and response to my thread.

*Sigh*

After so many years of hard work to persuade people to quit smoking, now this...

Now this? If they were smoking Mj before, they'll still be doing the same. If they choose use for same or other reasons, they can have gummies or oils etc.

Minor thing: You can develop an addiction to marijuana, or the THC it contains. You can also become habituated, requiring a higher dose to get the same effect. I don't have the citation to scientific literature handy, but I had students reading papers last year on the health benefits and negative impacts of marijuana use. I can find a few key references if you like.

I'd like to see your key references. A psychological "addiction" in a person who believes THC and Cannabinoids is purely that, psychological - there is no addiction physiologically. Habituation yes, that's why people take a tolerance break or change strains.

While not relevant to diving but to the issue of smoking in public places, I was in Brugge yesterday and witnessed something along the lines of @Marie13s "I would go over and demand they stop" comments - Tourists bitching about smokers who went and sat themselves down for a meal in the outdoor area which is a designated smoking area started loudly complaining so the waiter who himself was smoking promptly stormed over and threw them out. Couldn't help but have a giggle

I'd like to see your key references. A psychological "addiction" in a person who believes THC and Cannabinoids is purely that, psychological - there is no addiction physiologically. Habituation yes, that's why people take a tolerance break or change strains.

Here's a recent article (2014) from the New England Journal of Medicine: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmra1402309

And from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: Decreased dopamine brain reactivity in marijuana abusers is associated with negative emotionality and addiction severity

I think this is a resource article written for the California Society of Addiction Medicine: http://www.antoniocasella.eu/archila/Danovitch_2012.pdf

I'm not sure you can draw a clear line between psychology and physiology. Here's an article from Nature that mentions the difference in neuronal response to THC application in addicted and non-addicted individuals: https://www.nature.com/articles/npp2009110

Thanks :) I'm currently at Medicinal Cannabis conferences in Europe for the next two weeks, will have a read of those tonight and if worthwhile might unpackage them for discussion at the Frankfurt Conference. Re psychological and physical "addiction" I personally would put forth another question - Has anyone ever seen anyone or are there any medicos who have treated someone having withdrawals from THC? Heroin yes, THC no and I've never heard of anyone admitted to a clinic for THC withdrawals...because I do not believe they happen.
There does appear to be certain personality types who "can't get through the day without a joint" but IMO those personality types would latch onto something else to blame for their issues.

Back
Top Bottom