Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The absolute worst are probably the stick thin patients I saw standing outside the doors of Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto (a cancer hospital) in minus 25C, who were having a smoke with a cigarette in their right hand, while their left arm was hooked up to an IV pole that was infusing chemo drugs into their bodies to try and kill whatever cancer was afflicting them. Of all the sights I’ve had to lay my eyes on, that was probably the hardest for my brain to comprehend...and then there were the other cancer patients and their families who had to pass through the wall of smoke to gain entry into the hospital for their own cancer treatment. Some were so desperate to stay alive and then there were those that I simply couldn’t begin to understand.
That shows you the unfortunate powers cigarettes, cigarette companies and our very own government has over some! I show apathy because it’s an addiction.

That shows you the unfortunate powers cigarettes, cigarette companies and our very own government has over some! I show apathy because it’s an addiction.

Empathy, possibly ? :)

The absolute worst are probably the stick thin patients I saw standing outside the doors of Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto (a cancer hospital) in minus 25C, who were having a smoke with a cigarette in their right hand, while their left arm was hooked up to an IV pole that was infusing chemo drugs into their bodies to try and kill whatever cancer was afflicting them. Of all the sights I’ve had to lay my eyes on, that was probably the hardest for my brain to comprehend...and then there were the other cancer patients and their families who had to pass through the wall of smoke to gain entry into the hospital for their own cancer treatment. Some were so desperate to stay alive and then there were those that I simply couldn’t begin to understand.

I saw similar cases, the explanation is simple, tobacco addiction is incredibly strong. I smoke only for few years long time ago. Now when I am sober I dislike the smell of tobacco smoke. But when I drink alcohol I still feel I want to smoke and I have to control myself. Which is very strange and almost incredible for me considering how many years have passed since I stopped

I saw similar cases, the explanation is simple, tobacco addiction is incredibly strong. I smoke only for few years long time ago. Now when I am sober I dislike the smell of tobacco smoke. But when I drink alcohol I still feel I want to smoke and I have to control myself. Which is very strange and almost incredible for me considering how many years have passed since I stopped

I fully understand the addiction aspect. Used to be a smoker for many years. It was so tragic to see such a scene, where people were slaves to nicotine, despite being in such a precarious situation.

So because of your parents (in a different time with different standards) you tar everyone with the same brush?

Smokers tend to be more considerate, they stick to the designated smoking areas, often defined by law. Yes some dive boats could have better areas especially in the Asian markets, but thats the fault of the operator not the smoker. You keep to your area we'll keep to ours

It took a long time and a lot of effort to get smokers to "stick to their area." In fact, it took laws to mandate the consideration you laud, because otherwise many smokers just smoked wherever they liked regardless of how others felt. I agree with you that there are plenty of considerate smokers. However, if you were one of them you wouldn't blame the operator for failing to have "better areas," you would simply take it upon yourself to make it happen.

Today i saw that my favorite dive center (i was diving with them and got few certifications) posted photos in Facebook where in one photo almost all divers (including instructor) are smoking. I was really pissed about that. Smoking and diving do not go together. I was surprised that diving center marketing manager is brainless idiot that posted such pic which contradicts PADI values and gives a very wrong message to new potential clients. For example, seeing such photo i would never choose such diving center. Also, if i would be diving center owner i would immediately fire such person fro stupidity.

What is your view about this?

As long as they are not being rude and blowing smoke in your direction, then I dont see how its anyone's business what so ever what someone else does in regards to smoking.

I agree its not cool to smoke on the boat, but you seem to be upset that someone who has no connection to you, smokes and dives. I don't see why its any of your concern what someone else does.

I don't see why its any of your concern what someone else does.
I don't think we need to attack @Efka76 . It's an interesting question that has generated quite a response.
And read literally, the original post is a statement of position regarding a Facebook photo, not a personal occurrence on a dive boat. It was followed by an invitation to comment. That's a pretty reasonable way to open a discussion.

I would love to see “smoking sign” replacing the “no smoking sign”.
Everywhere should be designated as no smoking area unless specially labelled as “smoking’.

I don't think we need to attack @Efka76 . It's an interesting question that has generated quite a response.
And read literally, the original post is a statement of position regarding a Facebook photo, not a personal occurrence on a dive boat. It was followed by an invitation to comment. That's a pretty reasonable way to open a discussion.

I think its entirely unreasonable to be upset by someone smoking in a picture though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom