Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smoking kills million of people.
Better for the environment then. Everyone should mind their business and protect the Earth. :thumb:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.climate-change-guide.com%2Fimages%2Fmelting-ice-polar-bear.jpg

Those vapors smell like freaking potpourri and I dislike that.
You know what's worse than vape smoke that smells like potpourri? They make some that smells like donuts and cake and delicious things. I can't tell you how much it pisses me off walking down a street, smelling it, expecting a bakery, anticipating a tasty bite and then running into a bunch of kids blowing smoke rings in the air.
I can't even.

Smoking is a nasty, filthy habit. I hate having to smell cigarette smoke and risk getting my clothes, hair, or dive gear smelling like it.
People who smoke near me will either get told bluntly to either make sure the smoke goes nowhere around me or to put it out.
And if the smoker refuses?
No one ever has.
But if they did? What is your plan?
I assume this is on the dive boat or near the dive shop because of the reference to dive gear (??). Does that boat allow smokers on board? That's who I would take it up with. If the person is in a spot where smoking is allowed, they're not obligated to move or put it out and probably wouldn't if asked "bluntly" (whatever that means)

I always remember this girl Sue that would hold her breath and run pass the smokers outside the camp house that we had meetings in.. She would go on and on about the smokers outside the door.. And in the winter time she would sit inside knitting in the camp with the fire place filling the room with smoke to the point that my eyes were stinging.. And she never said a word about it.. I think most people are full of $hit about the smoking.. I loved when I was at the Bush airport in Houston Texas and the cop told me I was in a no smoking area and I need to walk 10 feet to the left... As the bus was blowing black smoke out the tailpipe... I just laughed at him... Yes, I can see how my cigarette smoke is harming people..

Jim...

I recently stayed with a relative who smokes. He was very conscientious about only smoking on the porch and airing out the place with fans... but there was just something there. My sinuses would start to clog up upon entry.

Honestly, it's not a matter of social acceptance... Smoking kills million of people. Lung cancer, cardiac problems, even just loss of money in most cases are a consequence of an addiction, not of a free and rational choice. I have no problem at all with smokers, but this to me appear to be the truth
Killing many people has nothing to do with non smokers getting butt hurt over smokers.

Smokers made a "free and rational choice" to begin smoking.

Though for the life of me I cannot understand why younger people, those born after the era of the Marlboro Man, would chose to begin smoking.

You know what's worse than vape smoke that smells like potpourri? They make some that smells like donuts and cake and delicious things. I can't tell you how much it pisses me off walking down a street, smelling it, expecting a bakery, anticipating a tasty bite and then running into a bunch of kids blowing smoke rings in the air.
I can't even.

I assume this is on the dive boat or near the dive shop because of the reference to dive gear (??). Does that boat allow smokers on board? That's who I would take it up with. If the person is in a spot where smoking is allowed, they're not obligated to move or put it out and probably wouldn't if asked "bluntly" (whatever that means)

I do not know the location; I just want to know what the bad asses are going to do to recalcitrant smokers.

The post referenced was what I call an "or else" statement.

There is an implied "or else" when one is giving orders such as "...get told bluntly...nowhere near me, or put it out..."

Killing many people has nothing to do with non smokers getting butt hurt over smokers.

Smokers made a "free and rational choice" to begin smoking.

Though for the life of me I cannot understand why younger people, those born after the era of the Marlboro Man, would chose to begin smoking.

Rebel against the standard quo? Then the addiction kicks in and it's too late...

I think the worst "entitlement" smokers have is throwing butts everywhere, especially when driving.

That's easy. When you first start, you get quite a buzz from tobacco. You continue to get it for weeks or maybe months. By the time you realize you aren't getting buzzed anymore, it's too late.

I'm going to argue that many smokers are not considerate. So many will flick their butts into parks where kids play, or flick their butts off their balcony causing a fire, or sleep while smoking causing fire, smoke outside the doors of buildings where everyone going in and out must pass through, etc...

YOU may be a considerate smoker but there are many who are not.

And I have yet to be forced to eat anything by a fat person.
I just love the person smoking in front of the building sign saying....no smoking within 25 feet of this sign...lol

I just love the person smoking in front of the building sign saying....no smoking within 25 feet of this sign...lol

The absolute worst are probably the stick thin patients I saw standing outside the doors of Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto (a cancer hospital) in minus 25C, who were having a smoke with a cigarette in their right hand, while their left arm was hooked up to an IV pole that was infusing chemo drugs into their bodies to try and kill whatever cancer was afflicting them. Of all the sights I’ve had to lay my eyes on, that was probably the hardest for my brain to comprehend...and then there were the other cancer patients and their families who had to pass through the wall of smoke to gain entry into the hospital for their own cancer treatment. Some were so desperate to stay alive and then there were those that I simply couldn’t begin to understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom