SMB - Sausage usage, am I correct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crestgel

Contributor
Reaction score
After searching and reading past post I think I have an understanding of the usage of an SMB. Please let me know if I have it correct or missing something.

You deploy a SMB with a spool by filling it partially with air then let it float to the surface while you hold onto the spool. You do not want to attach the spool to yourself once deployed. The SMB lets the ship caption know where you are surfacing and tells other boats to keep clear of the area.
In current the SMB helps the caption keep track of you during your ascend. You can also hang onto the string when doing your deco/safety stops
A SMB can be used as a lift bag, although a dedicated lift bag is better.

Did I miss anything?

That sounds pretty good. You really want to have someone show you how to do it and be with the same when you do your first couple of shoots. Some things to consider. Getting the line tangled in your valves, hitting something as it goes up (Kelp or a boat here, make sure you check above you before deploying). You also calculate the amount to fill the bag by your depth (using Boyle's Law). If you are at 33' you would fill it half way, at 66 a third and so on.

It is a lot harder than it looks. If you use a larger SMB it will pull you up right quick if you overinflate it. Best to practice with a small one (I use the small Halcyon one, 6# of lift) in shallow water with reference to the bottom. When I orally inflate it I keep slowly blowing little bubbles until I let it go, then inhale which seems to maintain my buoyancy pretty well.

Good luck and be safe,

Mark

I have the Halcyon Big Alert Marker 4.5' long, 40 lbs and a 100' spool.

I have one of those as well. I would suggest you only use one breath when practicing in shallower water to start out with. I've done about 20 - 25 bag shoots (since I learned how in early December). My first shoot was with that bag and I gave it two puffs. It pulled me up pretty quickly. They also inflate REAL FAST when you use your inflator hose (try it out on dry land).

I've seen people inflate big bags like that at the 15' safety stop, but they were very experienced instructors doing guided drift dives...

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Mark

Oh, as a side note, I recently shot a bag from about 45' with my 100' spool. It sure as heck didn't look like there was another 40 - 50' of line on it after I deployed the bag. It is worthwhile to double check the length of line on the spool and make sure it is attached the way you want. Of course, I think it is better to deploy the bag nearer the surface in general.

Mark

So you can orally inflate it. How do you fill it from your inflator hose? I'm sure this is a stupid question, but hey...

Also, do you already have the SMB secured to your reel before going down? I imagine so...

You just stick your DS inflator hose on the end and push. It doesn't lock. It does depend on the type of bag and the maker.

You can have them attached before or attach it underwater. Spools can be handy to have underwater, so some people keep it unattached until they shoot the bag so they can use it for other things if needed. Some people (like me) keep them pre-rigged and keep an extra spool with them.

I think most people use reels for other things and spools for bag shoots.

Mark

One tip I learned on another thread here on SB and I tested with good results.
If you have any air in your BC, empty that into the bag using the deflator button on the inflator hose. After this maneuvre you will still be neutral as the buoyancy you lost from the BC you gained from the lift bag. Then if you need to, top off the bag and release it and give the BC a quick squirt after release. I personally found this easier and safer.
In my case I use my surface dive alert to top off the bag.
It doesn't make any noise underwater but bubbles nicely. :wink:

Hey, you go firing off a bag kinda deep in a current on a little spool and you can plan on watching that bag disappear. I like the spools but I also have a reel with me for deep ocean shoots.

miketsp:
One tip I learned on another thread here on SB and I tested with good results.
If you have any air in your BC, empty that into the bag using the deflator button on the inflator hose. After this maneuvre you will still be neutral as the buoyancy you lost from the BC you gained from the lift bag. Then if you need to, top off the bag and release it and give the BC a quick squirt after release. I personally found this easier and safer.
In my case I use my surface dive alert to top off the bag.
It doesn't make any noise underwater but bubbles nicely. :wink:

That is good. I never thought of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom