Small, stiff, plastic paddle fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have begun assisting my husband in classes, and diving in a pool. I find that, using the Al50's we have and a small weight belt, my medium Jets with springs are too negative, and I can't balance in immobility. I'd like to buy a set of small, stiff paddle fins to use in the pool. I have looked at the OMS Slipstreams, which are lovely, but they don't come in a size small enough for me to use with simple wetsuit booties. The TUSA fins carried by the other dive shop we frequent are pretty floppy.

I would assume the Dive Rite paddle fins are fairly stiff, since cave divers use them, but I'm unsure if they come small enough. Has anyone faced and solved this problem already? I have women's size 7 feet, if that information is useful.

How about a set of Force fins? :)

For pool work I've used full foot fins and socks or thin thin booties that have a nonslip sole.

My full foots are Mares Volo Race. The other open heeled ones I've used are the Aeris Velocity.

Generally I look for something shorter and stiffer yet lightweight.

Oh and that are not split fins:wink:

I found a pair of cheap fullfoot snorkel fins that are relatively stiff. They are some off brand and definitely more floppy than my jets. They are great for light exposure protection singles rig diving. I remember seeing a full foot paddle fin by Scubapro a few years back that were sold in Britain. Never could get a response from them when asking about the though. Good luck and if you find the Holy Grail of lightweight fins, please post.

I would recommend the Cressi Frog fins! My wife and I both used to use them until we started using jets. They are light, plastic, and stiff. Very very popular in australia and other parts of the world. You can also find them real cheap on ebay..he. :D

Over the years, I've tried a number of different fin styles. I decided early on that I definitely do not like open heel fins. For me, they feel heavy and clumsy on my feet. I've tried some of the newer full foot fins with the plastic blades but they just do not feel right. My favorite fin for many years was the Otarie by US Divers. It was a comfortable, all rubber, full foot fin with surprising kick and a natural, fluid feel to them. Unfortunately, the Otarie that I knew and loved has long since been discontinued and my last pair gave up the ghost last year (after more than thirty years of use) while I was doing some snorkeling, but I found a reasonable facsimile in Deep Blue Gear's "Aquanaut." It is an inexpensive fin and fits my needs rather well. They can be found on The Snorkel Mart's web site.

My personal odyssey in search of the perfect pair of fins for myself has followed the same course as yours, Paladin954. Although I've tried open-heel and plastic-bladed fins over the years, I still prefer the same kind of full-foot rubber fins I used when I began snorkelling back in the early 1960s because they fit my feet comfortably and suit my gentle swimming style. My current favourites are Escualo Clasicas, made in Mexico:
wpffe8c322.png
CLASICA
They not only come in a huge range of sizes but also have wide-fitting and high-arched foot pockets which accommodate my large feet perfectly, while the medium-stiff blades provide all the propulsion, manoeuvrability and endurance I want when I snorkel in the North Sea. Incidentally, in fifteen countries worldwide, almost 80 different rubber full-foot fin designs are still in production.

While I'm persuaded that there's likely to be at least one pair of fins to accommodate each individual's wants and needs out there, I'm equally convinced that no single brand or make of fins will also accommodate every single person's wants and needs. That's why I won't recommend my own choice of fins unless other people's wants and needs exactly mirror mine. After all, we don't all wear the same street shoes, so what would possess us all to want to wear the same fins? Long live diversity!

I haven't used full-foot fins in years, not since some trips out on snorkeling boats a long time ago. I don't remember them being very comfortable, but then again, they were rentals. Are these fins you guys are using positive or negative? The reason I specified plastic is because I am looking for fins which are not negative.

For me, the Aquanaut is very comfortable. The foot pocket is made of soft, pliable rubber and once I'm in the water, I hardly even notice them. What do you mean by "positive" and "negative?" If you are talking about buoyancy, the Aquanaut is a floating fin. It is slightly positive buoyancy wise (just a tad lighter than neutral) and will rise slowly to the surface if released underwater.

Note: If you go for the aquanaut, be sure to check the sizing chart to compare fin size to your shoe size for the correct size for you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom