Small, stiff, plastic paddle fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Escualo Clasicas are, I believe, neutral in salt water. They're very comfortable and roomy whether worn barefoot or with socks.

Many brands of all-rubber full-foot fins are positive, however. They are usually marked "floating" on the packaging and/or on the fins themselves. Paladin954: I see your Aquanaut fins are rebadged as Deep See Sea Stars at Leisurepro, where they've received good reviews, particularly on price, fit and suitability for snorkelling. They make worthy successors to your US Divers Otaries. If you wanted American manufacture with stiffer blades, you may find Oceanways, Scubapro and Dacor Corda models around. As for my Escualo Clasicas, they're quite hard to get hold of outside Mexico, which I've never visited. I managed to track down a guy online who was prepared to sell me a pair. The Japanese make great full-foot rubber fins too in a range of colours, though a little pricey, under the brand name Gull Sports:
gf-2020-set.jpg
I've also got a pair of Gull Hard Mew fins with stiff blades, but surprisingly lightweight, which are used by some underwater hockey players in New Zealand. They're neutral in salt water too.

Lynn, I wear a size 9-9 1/2 boot or ML Turbo Soles, and use a Medium Dive Rite. They are stiff, but longer than the Jets/Slipstreams. Latest response from OMS last week was that the next run of Slipstreams will be the first week in September. No response as to whether that will mean retail availability or just another small test run like the one in April.

I haven't used full-foot fins in years, not since some trips out on snorkeling boats a long time ago. I don't remember them being very comfortable, but then again, they were rentals. Are these fins you guys are using positive or negative? The reason I specified plastic is because I am looking for fins which are not negative.

I don't use the Mares. I use longer fins. They sink ever so slightly. There will be no comparison between theose little rubber fins and a modern rubber.plastc fin because the blades are much more area on the Mares. They are extremely comfortable if you get the correct size, most people wear them barefoot, You can try a thin nylon sock under as well.

David,
That is an interesting-looking fin. I may try a pair. The "Aquanaut," by Deep Blue Gear, that is my current favorite can be found here:

Snorkel-Mart | Snorkel Gear | Snorkeling Equipment | Snorkeling Combos |

The same fin can also be obtained through LeisurePro under the Deep See brand.

I think mine are the Deep Sea version. They were less than $20 (at my LDS no less :shocked2:) and are ever so slightly negative in fresh water so probably ever so slightly positive in salt. They are comfortable but you'll probably want to wear socks with them on longer days to avoid rubbing blisters on your feet. They serve me well both snorkeling and single tank, warm water diving.

My dive shop owner lent me a pair of Deep Sea paddle fins, and I tried them briefly on the surface in our pool this afternoon. They have exactly the "feel" I'm looking for, so I'm going to take them into the class pool on Monday and see how it goes. Then I have to find springs to fit them . . .

Lowviz, I'm doing a PADI DM and assisting with classes, so there is no such thing as heresy :D

I think the Avanti X3 was the fin I had read a review of and couldn't remember. If the ones I got from the LDS owner don't work out, I'll go find a Mares dealer and look at those.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks!

Lynne,

This may sound like a radical idea, but a pair of DiveRite fits cut down very well. I know a very world class cave diver who uses exactly that confuguration. The small small or medium size of the fins would work, you could just cut them down to the size you need.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom