Sling pony bottle, which side does reg go on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With a slung pony bottle, which side do you have the reg on. Example, if you sling your pony on the left side of you, do you have the second stage reg placed/stored on the left side/outside of the tank or on the inside/right side of it. And then vis versa for slinging it on the right.

The reason why I asked is that my buddy just got a pony and he has his reg on the opposite side to mine and I was wondering if there was any rule of thumb for this or is it personal preference?

Thoughts?

Mine is on a 6" hose and is "folded over" and held up against the first stage by a loop of bungee. I have mine coming out of the right side of the 1st stage (as I look down at it) so that when it's folded over and secured I can easily at a glance see the pressure in the tank and the SPG is positioned so that I don't have to read it upside down.

Here is a larger version of my avatar picture. I think you can see pretty clearly how I have it.

IMG_0858-small.jpg

Mine is on a 6" hose and is "folded over" and held up against the first stage by a loop of bungee. I have mine coming out of the right side of the 1st stage (as I look down at it) so that when it's folded over and secured I can easily at a glance see the pressure in the tank and the SPG is positioned so that I don't have to read it upside down.

Here is a larger version of my avatar picture. I think you can see pretty clearly how I have it.

View attachment 40755

Edit: Just realized you asked about the reg and NOT the SPG. Sorry! You can still see in the picture how I have it. It comes off of the left, but I'm going to be changing that to the right as I'm going to begin using my pony regulator as my pool/Divemaster regulator as well.

I have mine come off the right so I can turn the gas on with my left hand while pulling the 2nd stage/ hose with my right hand.

When tank mounted my ponies reg comes off the right side.
When slung the reg is on the tank.

My pony reg is bungied to the pony bottle so that the second stage is on the top of the tank as I'm swimming horizontally (does that make sense?). Figuring a horizontal swim position, lay a tank on the floor, looking straight at it from the valve end, my reg would be at about 1 o'clock. Since the bottle isn't tight against my body it works out fine.

I do it that way primarily to protect the second stage from getting bumped/purged which seems more likely if it's under or on the outsides of the bottle. But I make no claims that that's the only or correct way to do it.

I suspect the "correct" way is whatever way you can easily identify it, easily access and deploy it, and it doesn't get beat around.

Whichever way is easiest for you...

Ditto placing the second stage so it rides on top of the tank. If it is on the right or left side of the tank it is likely to get bumped, while on top it is in pretty well protected space and can be readily accessed with either hand.

The attached image is one of my deco bottles but applies equally well to a pony.

With regard to an SPG, I used to use a regular SPG on a 6" or 7" hose, but the hoses weather check fairly soon due to the tight bends used, it adds clutter and reduces streamlining and there really is not much reason you need to know the pressure underwater on a deco bottle and even less so on a pony bottle. In either case, checking pre-dive is essential and once you are on it, knowing the pressure will not expand the gas available or make up for poor gas planning. Consequently, I use a button gauge to facilitate the pressure check on the surface and in a pinch you can still read it under water. They have also started making a larger (about the size of a quarter) button gauge that is a good compromise bewteen small size and readibility.

The second stage is held in place with a bolt snap attached around the mouthpiece with an o-ring. This allows you to unclip it if you have the time, or to just pull it loose from the o-ring in a need-it-right-now situation.

The valve knob is placed so that it points downward. This again allows it to be operated easily by either hand and makes things slightly less likely to snag on things (although that would be a moot point with a yoke valve due to the extra knob). Plus when set up this way the tank can be slung on the right or left side with no need for adjustment or configuration change.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,362
The regulator should go on the protected side(s) which is the side toward the diver (up), if there is some reason that does not work then turn it to the inside (to the right--if slung to the left). These positions limit the entanglemnt possibilities and generally clean up the profile. I likethe Mark V type first for this application because I can flip the regulator second stage to the position needed and the turret alows lot's of flexibility.

N

They have also started making a larger (about the size of a quarter) button gauge that is a good compromise bewteen small size and readibility.

Who is they? As I can't even read my button guage on the surface without reading glasses this would be a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom