Sling pony bottle, which side does reg go on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a slung pony bottle, which side do you have the reg on. Example, if you sling your pony on the left side of you, do you have the second stage reg placed/stored on the left side/outside of the tank or on the inside/right side of it. And then vis versa for slinging it on the right.

The reason why I asked is that my buddy just got a pony and he has his reg on the opposite side to mine and I was wondering if there was any rule of thumb for this or is it personal preference?

Thoughts?

Mine is carried like this

so that the left hand is opening the valve as the right hand is grabbing the second.

Okay, with my pony slung left side, the valve handle faces across my chest, the DIN first stage faces away from my chest, and the second stage hose loops down and back up along the pony (held in place by a couple bungee loops -- hehe, redundant bungees). The second stage tucks right up against the shoulder of the pony, with the mouthpiece tucked between the hoses coming off the first stage and the valve. By rigging my pony this way, it poses the least possibility of self-entanglement (eg. turning your head to the left and getting your primary reg hose caught behind part of the pony rig).

I can twiddle the valve with my right hand, which is used for my main tank valve, pony tank valve, drysuit inflator, and drysuit exhaust (my left hand is for wing inflation/exhaust only). I can also reach over the top of the pony valve and easily manipulate the valve, if I ever need to, but that is not my primary method.

If sh_t were to ever happen, I want to grab the pony reg and breath. So my valve is always open and the reg isn't clipped. It's just bungeed. One hand operation. Super quick. It works for me because I don't enter areas that are so tight that my pony would come in contact with something. But this wouldn't work for everyone or every scenario. It also depends on what you're priorities are. In other words, what you consider more risky. For some, this setup is too risky.

Evad - Thank you - I have to get one.

I use surgical tubes to hold my pony reg. to the cylinder....the hose and reg. are near the top and slighty down in a protected position between the cylinder and me. Regulator line is charges and valve shut off till use or feathered on to ensure line is fully charged during the dive.

Thanks guys, some good pointers here.

Evad - Thank you - I have to get one.

I actually posted that one for you. You can get the older version (shown) for $34.00 from Amazon.com or the newer (better?) version for $39.00 on Ebay from diverwest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom