Sliding Buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tired the sliding o-rings, and didn't see the point either. They don't actually save space, they just occupy one end or the other at a time. If you were to place two fixed d-rings at point A and B to keep the tank in the correct position, you would still have to slide a d-ring from the same point A and B. If you put something else in the way, you can't slide your d-ring to the right spot anymore.

If you are at the point of sidemount exploration where you're getting d-rings on your waist caught on things, I have nothing to add. :)

-Chris

This is another way, I haven't had a chance to try yet......

Andrew has some really cool and innovative hardware! I bought two of his buckles to replace the ones on my waist straps. Some of his other stuff I have to admit is really cool but I doubt I'll buy since I run a waterjet and can make much of it myself here in the US. I have some custom triglides I use for SM and some other items that let me turn a standard BPW harness into an h style.

Well Jim, the only thing that's stopped me from picking some of Andrews stuff was postage......but if you are in the mood to cut a few.....I'm in.

I love SUMP UK design but the postage and custom bureaucracy avoiding me to order...
I will try michur's triangle snap style, hope it works

Just got a pair of UK Sump sliding... emm... D-rings, even though they came without D-rings. I think, I'll try to weld the rings to the cross-bar as I like them rigid, i.e., perking. You can use also normal rigid D-rings (triglides with D-ring), just bend the base and they will slide.

I am thinking of switching to sliding buckles to make trimming my aluminum tanks easier and to reduce clutter in my waist strap. What are my options? Are there products in the market which are available NOW (aside from the LB-SR which is as elusive as a unicorn)?

I have seen this product from the UK Bainbridge International > Sliding Bar Buckles 50mm Webbing Stainless Steel Nylon . Will this work if paired with a low profile D-ring? Thanks in advance!

I suspect that's exactly the same thing Santiago uses for the "LB-SR sliding D-ring". I paired one of those with a low profile D-ring, but it's really hard to get the thing to slide.

Dave

I have yet to figure out why you don't have two snaps on the bottom band of the tank, one goes on the back mount locations and the other goes to the front. So the tank is connected both front and back at the same time and can't really move during the change in tank pressure. Am I missing some thing?

I got mine from sump Uk - arrived within a week and fitted perfectly - they do help trim out both my ali and steel tanks

I use adjustable, "sliding D-rings" to vary the position of aluminum cylinders on the waist strap of my sidemount harness as their buoyancy characteristics change during a dive. I've tried a few different methods and recently came up with one that I now like the best.

I take a 50 x 7mm SS D-ring with nylon bar, mount it in a vice, and stretch a 90 durometer, Buna-N, 323 dash number O-ring over the bottom. Once threaded onto the webbing of my sidemount harness, the D-ring is easy to find and provides a secure method for clipping in a cylinder. The O-ring acts a spring, pulling the D-ring into the locked position as the nylon bar engages the webbing. The O-ring provides the right amount of friction, while still allowing the D-ring to be unlocked and re-positioned. I find this combination much easier to operate than other methods based on using fat O-rings or sliding bar buckles. It's also less expensive: you can get one of these D-rings for about $5.56 USD, and a package of 25 O-rings for about $4.55 USD. To my knowledge, the D-rings are only available from the UK, but shipping to the US takes less than a week:

1) 50 x 7mm Stainless D Ring with Nylon Bar, Part No: 6127B
50 x 7mm Stainless D Ring with Nylon Bar

2) Buna O-rings # 323-90D, Part No.: 323B90
Buna O-rings # 323-90D Price for 25 pcs

The attached photo shows 2 sliding D-rings threaded onto a section of webbing so that both sides are clearly visible.

Dave

image1.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom