Played with my first attempt at sidemounting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been working on my skills, and have been collecting sidemounting gear, and this weekend dropped into the pool for the first time. I have an XDeep TEC 2.0, XTX50 sidemount reg set, DiveRite travel tank strap kit, and all the stuff from my BP/W setup. I felt real comfortable in the water. Set up the GoPro on the bottom and made a few swimming passes in front of it to see how things looked. Didn't realize the back of the tank was riding so high (was only single tank diving, baby steps). The XDeep has sliding D rings on the waist belt, and I think I need to lower them (towards the front), a lot. Bouncy felt good, and my body trim was pretty close to flat, maybe move my weights on the spine forward one pocket. Attached is a photo of one of my passes in front of the GoPro, if you have any other tips.

Attachments

• 323294280_1673827153050709_7916205213043697714_n.jpg
    323294280_1673827153050709_7916205213043697714_n.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 155
Hi,

what was the tank pressure when taking the picture? How long was the cord of the lower boltsnap? How much tension did you have on the loop bungee?

Usually the sliding d-rings are on your side with a full tank, where a jeans seam would be.

Success Jens

See nothing to it so spread the word, really don't know how or why you hold your arms up, is there air in there

Sidemount is so easy... except for the hours of faffing as you adjust it to work correctly.

Cylinders have loads of adjustments:
  • Adjusting the height and angle of the lower boltsnap
  • Adjusting the location of the lower D-ring -- D-ring on waistband, multiple D-rings on waistband, sliding D-ring, offset D-ring, butt-mounted rails, etc
  • Bungee location, length, thickness
Lots of fun; can be done on your own. However, an hour with a sidemount 'expert' would pay massive dividends.

Keep at it!

Andy here's the expat that's that guy

if you insist on diving sidemount from boats and not in caves with your hands clasped pointing forwards

Hi,

what was the tank pressure when taking the picture? How long was the cord of the lower boltsnap? How much tension did you have on the loop bungee?

Usually the sliding d-rings are on your side with a full tank, where a jeans seam would be.

Success Jens
This was towards the end of the tank, maybe 800psi-ish. I'm using the divert travel harness for the tank, so the bolt snap is attached directly to the tank band. I may have the upper loop a bit to tight, it wasn't uncomfortable by any means, but I can only pull it a few inches away from my armpit. I think I had the d-ring sitting closer to where my back pocket would be. Being the first time dropping in with side mount gear, I wasn't able to focus on everything all at once.

See nothing to it so spread the word, really don't know how or why you hold your arms up, is there air in there
Just how I've always dove. Even with my BP/W, I'm just more comfortable with my arms out in front of me. Sometimes I'll tuck my thumbs into my waist belt, but for the most part this is how I dive.

Sidemount is so easy... except for the hours of faffing as you adjust it to work correctly.

Cylinders have loads of adjustments:
  • Adjusting the height and angle of the lower boltsnap
  • Adjusting the location of the lower D-ring -- D-ring on waistband, multiple D-rings on waistband, sliding D-ring, offset D-ring, butt-mounted rails, etc
  • Bungee location, length, thickness
Lots of fun; can be done on your own. However, an hour with a sidemount 'expert' would pay massive dividends.

Keep at it!
Yep, I have a private class booked next month with a trainer from my LDS who does all the side mount/tech/cave diving training. I just the kind of person that I don't like to learn something new without having at least got a feel for it on my own. That was the point of that trip, and probably at least one or two more before I have a class with him. Next trip to the pool I can focus more on tank trim, as this trip I was jus trying to get a feel for DON/DOFF the tank, having a new set of regs, a new BC, figuring out my weights, etc...

Been working on my skills, and have been collecting sidemounting gear, and this weekend dropped into the pool for the first time. I have an XDeep TEC 2.0, XTX50 sidemount reg set, DiveRite travel tank strap kit, and all the stuff from my BP/W setup. I felt real comfortable in the water. Set up the GoPro on the bottom and made a few swimming passes in front of it to see how things looked. Didn't realize the back of the tank was riding so high (was only single tank diving, baby steps). The XDeep has sliding D rings on the waist belt, and I think I need to lower them (towards the front), a lot. Bouncy felt good, and my body trim was pretty close to flat, maybe move my weights on the spine forward one pocket. Attached is a photo of one of my passes in front of the GoPro, if you have any other tips.
Picture really too far away for detailed feedback. Can you post closeups of the rigging on the cylinder, type of valve being used, image from the top showing the orientation of the boltsnap on the cylinder, length of the bungee, and how you’re routing the bungee around the valve?

Tbh go read the ScubaTechPhillipines guide. I’d also guess the cylinder position is hiding that the wing is lifting off your butt. In terms of trim, your calves are super tight and knees have dropped, putting your fin tips tickling the ceiling.

I much prefer encouraging the use of an instructor, but frankly I can’t think of more than one or two instructors in the Midwest that know anything about modern style AL80 sidemount diving and who would end you in a better spot than online feedback. Feel free to DM me your trainer as I’m more curious than not.

Start by moving your hose clamps (you’ll eventually ditch the dive rite bands) up 3”.

I have a private class booked next month with a trainer from my LDS who does all the side mount/tech/cave diving training.

I just the kind of person that I don't like to learn something new without having at least got a feel for it on my own. That was the point of that trip, and probably at least one or two more before I have a class with him.

Next trip to the pool I can focus more on tank trim, as this trip I was jus trying to get a feel for DON/DOFF the tank, having a new set of regs, a new BC, figuring out my weights, etc...
Absolutely concur with this.

Some may argue that you'll learn the bad ways. Others would say that you can appreciate the benefits of the instructor as you know how challenging it is.

Sidemount's pretty straightforward. You should have your core skills -- buoyancy, trim, finning -- which is clear you have in your photo. The big sidemount faff is adjusting everything in the first place. Thereafter it's really easy and just a case of getting on with it and speedy donning and doffing.

Video isn’t coming up for me and I can’t tell from the photo - steel or aluminums?

If you're interested in following a similar journey, check out my thread:

Of specific note:
  • I didn't pursue formal in-person training (though I recommend post people pursue formal training).
  • Sidemount can be somewhat (slightly) dangerous to someone who just puts on a kit and jumps in the water, so be careful.
  • I did use Sidemounting.com videos; I think it's about $200, and well worth it. The videos are very engaging and informative.
  • I highly recommend starting out in the easiest conditions possible with no time-constraints. Having a pool seems nice. For everyone else, I usually recommend finding a gently sloping shore.
  • The first thing you should practice, preferably in standing-height water is regulator switching. Because last thing you need is to be coughing up water, because you forgot to purge.
  • If you're mentally prepared for sidemount to be a little frustrating, or as I like to say "a challenge" then you'll have more fun.
  • Donning and Doffing speed is one of the major challenges of SM divers. It's also what causes SM divers to get a lot of (perhaps overblown) hate from boat-captains or other divers. Make sure to practice donning and doffing, and look for little ways to make it a little faster and more streamlined.

More specific to your thread:
  • I switched from sliding d-rings, to multiple fixed attachment points. You may find you prefer one or the other, it's just an option to consider.
  • The photo shown, your tank trim should ideally align with your body. The standard check is to run your hands above each tank, and below each tank, parallel with your body. That should give you an idea of the tank alignment fairly quick.
Yep, I have a private class booked next month with a trainer from my LDS who does all the side mount/tech/cave diving training.
Good. Because this will save you significant time and frustration, and probably make you more skilled at SideMount than you'd otherwise be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom