New Sidemount diver -D rings and cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steveiemac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone. I’m new to Sidemount and spending a lot of time getting my kit sorted. I have a second hand xdeep tec. I’m currently diving with a 7l Ali and an 80 which I know isn’t ideal but money is an issue for purchasing another. I seem to have the 7 sitting really nicely but the 80 is riding up considerably and I think it may be the d rings position. Can anyone advise me of the best positions and how many I should have. For info I have had an excellent instructor but I purchased the rig after my course. Distance is an issue in getting more face to face help. Thank you.
9A9481FD-BF6B-4EC5-9095-D4497364EE5A.jpeg

Not familiar with your rig,
But
if you don't add lead to the aluminum 80, it will float as it gets emptier,
Or move it to a lower D ring (or sliding D ring) on you waist belt,

I am sure there are smarter people with more or better suggestions

The left tank needs to be attached WAY further forward on the belt. I sidemount AL40s or LP50s with that rig and my 40s attach about at the front of my hip bones, though I have a small waist.

Also the right tank looks like it is too much forward of/in your arm pit. Moving the cam band a bit closer to the neck should let it not be pushed down by your shoulder/arm and so trim out a bit better.

If the left is also very forward in your shoulder, that will also exacerbate it tilting up.

I've had better luck with metal screw tightened hose clamp bands than with the cam action style. Part of what keeps the tank where you want it is the bungie torquing the tank down against the rear bolt snap and its attachment point. It the cam band is slipping on the tank that torquing does not work very well.

Welcome to sidemount.

Sidemount can be a right pig to configure with endless tweaking and fiddling. However, once done it's fine.

The quickest way to get it sorted is to have a session with an experienced sidemounter who can do a lot of the tweaks for you and save a load of time. Doesn't need to be your/an instructor; just someone who's good with sidemount.

From your photo, your LH cylinder mounting is way too high, or the cylinder boltsnap leash is way too long (normally they're tight to the cylinder).

If you do it yourself, a stand-alone camera would help so you can check your trim.

Andy Davis website blog (scubatechphilippines) articulates much of this with useful images

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty sure it's the d ring position as the bolt snaps are tight in. I think I'll add another further round and see how that goes. Appreciate the help.

How one configures a sidemount harness is very personal.

However, I have one of the XDeep Tec sidemount harnesses and I use offset D-rings on the waist belt. These put the D-ring below the waist belt, so closer to the bottom of the cylinder; more leverage to hold it down. It's common to put two D-rings each side if diving with variable buoyancy cylinders -- ali80s are heavy to begin with and very floaty when breathed down a bit.

KentTooling_sidemount_D-rings.jpg

45° Side Mount D Ring - Kent Tooling / DivingProducts.co.uk

Generally speaking for AL tanks you need 2 D rings or a sliding D ring. On my rig the front D rings are only 3-4 inches or so from the waist belt buckle. I start the dive with the tanks clipped to the back D rings and re-clip forward at about 23-2400 PSI, as soon as the bottoms start to float. So most of the dive is done with the tanks on the front D rings. Putting weight on the bottom of the tanks is not a good solution IMO. Just get them clipped in the right place.

I dive the XDeep Classic - but here are some basics to get you started...
First Stage connected so it is postioned under your armpit. That protects it while diving (not in front and exposed). If you are diving Aluminum tanks then...lower tank connection is positioned at 10:00 and 2:00. This adds a bit of extra twist to the tank - then top bungie is adjusted so tanks are horizontal when in the water. This will cause the tanks to sit firmly against your body. Steel tanks at 9:00 and 3:00. Tank height... when diving... if the tank is too high then it will be up into your armpit and that will also make it difficult to lift your arm to check your pressure gauge - too low... when you first put your tanks on and you are vertical in the water - where is your short hose reg sitting? (You have deployed your left tank reg over your neck and have put the necklace over your head) if that tank postion is too low then the reg will not sit below your mouth/chin. There is a happy medium right there somewhere. The bottom rubber ring that you connect your lower tanks to should be positioned - at the beginning of the dive with full tanks back as far as possible - then moved forward when your reach 2200 lbs. If you don't move them the back of the tank will get a bit floaty. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom