Do I need sliding D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it works for you...

However, many people like to attach the cylinders at the top and bottom with clips so they can be picked up and walked around prior to diving and are easier to put on. The bungee loop goes on afterwards. Also much easier to control when getting out of the water. It's much easier in cold water too.

But then that works for me...
If you jump off a boat in SM that’s the only secure way for sure. Two attachment points, and bungees on afterward 👌

If you have AL 80’s and have lower bolt snaps positioned at 2:00 and 10:00 and you are using bungie to twist your tanks back to horizontal, then unclipping the lower bolt snap will release the tension and make reconnecting the lower bolt snap difficult. Can be done but it is not ideal when underwater. Much better have the SS sliding d rings. I dive Mexico caves and therefore don’t put my tanks on at the surface and walk in. I put tanks on in the water.

If you have AL 80’s and have lower bolt snaps positioned at 2:00 and 10:00 and you are using bungie to twist your tanks back to horizontal, then unclipping the lower bolt snap will release the tension and make reconnecting the lower bolt snap difficult. Can be done but it is not ideal when underwater. Much better have the SS sliding d rings. I dive Mexico caves and therefore don’t put my tanks on at the surface and walk in. I put tanks on in the water.
I have my tanks set up in this way and I've never had a problem down-clipping to the lower d-rings other than when I was initially getting used to their positions.

If I boat dive sidemount I clip to the lower d-rings so the tanks are in front of me as I set up and walk to the entry, then when in the water I clip them back to the top rings.

If unclipping a tank is a problem area for people then handing tanks off for any reason will become an issue, regardless of sliding Ds or not.

This could not be more wrong if you tried. First of all, in a properly configured SM system, the bungees are not there to add torque, they are there to hold the top of the cylinder via the valve , in place. Second, there is no difficulty at all in moving from the rear attachment point to the front attachment point.

I dive 11L /AL80s and use fixed d-rings. It takes some time to dial in and a proper understanding of the physics in play with sidemount but once set, it is easy and you don't waste bandwidth on checking cylinder trim and constantly moving the sliding d-rings.

I know this because I used to dive sliding d-rings and the majority of the dive was spent checking my cylinder trim rather than enjoying the dive.

I also teach fixed d-rings and my students have never had an issue clipping and reclipping.

The definition of sidemount:

interminable faffing around with endless adjustments… Then nirvana with comfort, streamlining, resilience and many more benefits.

Today, am diving in a crappy cold lake with another couple of divers where we’re faffing with our sidemount configurations in advance of a winter of overhead diving. Think of it as an investment in future comfort. My configuration is two 8.5 litre long thin steel cylinders as bailout for a backmount rebreather, the faff is tweaking the mounting and boltsnaps. Once sorted that’s it.

...the bungees are not there to add torque...
This isn't strictly correct. If you dive MX style with loop bungees the torque is what holds the tank in position. This is especially true with AL80s.

I think we tend to forget in these conversations that there are at least three distinct sidmount styles being taught, and God knows how many individual made up styles.

Edit: I used to use fixed Ds with MX style side mount and had no problems moving my cylinders.

Hi, Xdeep has designed those rubber Drings to prevent entanglement in case of extreme restrictions (cave, wreck, mine). I personnally only use them on my twinset rig !
I do not think many Open Water sidemount divers use them

using bungie to twist your tanks back to horizontal, then unclipping the lower bolt snap will release the tension and make reconnecting the lower bolt snap difficult
Twist the tank with the other hand (holding the valve or 1st stage) as you easily clip the lower bolt snap.

Twist the tank with the other hand (holding the valve or 1st stage) as you easily clip the lower bolt snap.
Or just unbungee, clip down and rebungee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom