Played with my first attempt at sidemounting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also agree that the Sidemounting.com site's great. Loads of useful videos.

Minor caveat is there's subtle things Steve Martin does which others may not, such as changing the sides of some second stage regulators (hose in to the left, not all-right). Depends how into sidemounting you get or if you're happy with the DIR-esque longhose and bungeed backup.

All will be answered by your trainer in the first half hour!

Video isn’t coming up for me and I can’t tell from the photo - steel or aluminums?
80ALs. Not a lot of steel tanks around here, and since my boys are getting into diving a LOT younger than I did (17 and 13), I'm sticking with AL for them. I didn't up load the video, just a still from it. I can see about getting the video up later.

Thanks everyone else for the inputs as well. My boys love just getting in the pool and "playing", wether the realize they are honing their skills or not. Hoping to get my oldest in the ocean for the first time this summer, only pool and quarry for him thus far. My youngest is still awaiting his try scuba class. Actually felt good, even "monkey diving" (as my trainer calls diving single tank sidemount). I don't plan on ditching my BP/W, but every time I get new gear, I catch my older son eyeing my older stuff with a lot of interested. I started him on a back inflate only, so moving him to my BP/W would be an easy step. I was already subb'ed to sidemounting.com, though just for the free portion of it for now. I'll make the call on buying in once I go through my course. I used his videos to setup my L and R reg sets. Still not sure on my transmitter placement, but that's something easy enough to mount around. Somewhere I have that photo, I'll attach it if I can find it. I don't like it facing forward, but I don't like it jammed under my armpit either... Tips?

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 79
If you're interested in following a similar journey, check out my thread:

Of specific note:
  • I didn't pursue formal in-person training (though I recommend post people pursue formal training).
  • Sidemount can be somewhat (slightly) dangerous to someone who just puts on a kit and jumps in the water, so be careful.
  • I did use Sidemounting.com videos; I think it's about $200, and well worth it. The videos are very engaging and informative.
  • I highly recommend starting out in the easiest conditions possible with no time-constraints. Having a pool seems nice. For everyone else, I usually recommend finding a gently sloping shore.
  • The first thing you should practice, preferably in standing-height water is regulator switching. Because last thing you need is to be coughing up water, because you forgot to purge.
  • If you're mentally prepared for sidemount to be a little frustrating, or as I like to say "a challenge" then you'll have more fun.
  • Donning and Doffing speed is one of the major challenges of SM divers. It's also what causes SM divers to get a lot of (perhaps overblown) hate from boat-captains or other divers. Make sure to practice donning and doffing, and look for little ways to make it a little faster and more streamlined.

More specific to your thread:
  • I switched from sliding d-rings, to multiple fixed attachment points. You may find you prefer one or the other, it's just an option to consider.
  • The photo shown, your tank trim should ideally align with your body. The standard check is to run your hands above each tank, and below each tank, parallel with your body. That should give you an idea of the tank alignment fairly quick.

Good. Because this will save you significant time and frustration, and probably make you more skilled at SideMount than you'd otherwise be.
Lots of great info here. I am definitely going into this for the challenge. I know enough to know there's a lot I don't know, and I get some level of comfort in that. I enjoy the challenge when diving. I'm not trying to set records, but I enjoy the "feeling" of having to be aware and tracking things while I'm diving, as opposed to just "going for a swim." I haven't made any changes to the BC I picked up second hand, other thank taking it all the way apart, replacing all the bungee/shock cord, and re-building it to fit me. I have no doubt there are still adjustments/changes to make, but I feel that until I have an idea of how everything works together, I'm not ready to make those calls yet.

80ALs. Not a lot of steel tanks around here, and since my boys are getting into diving a LOT younger than I did (17 and 13), I'm sticking with AL for them. I didn't up load the video, just a still from it. I can see about getting the video up later.

Thanks everyone else for the inputs as well. My boys love just getting in the pool and "playing", wether the realize they are honing their skills or not. Hoping to get my oldest in the ocean for the first time this summer, only pool and quarry for him thus far. My youngest is still awaiting his try scuba class. Actually felt good, even "monkey diving" (as my trainer calls diving single tank sidemount). I don't plan on ditching my BP/W, but every time I get new gear, I catch my older son eyeing my older stuff with a lot of interested. I started him on a back inflate only, so moving him to my BP/W would be an easy step. I was already subb'ed to sidemounting.com, though just for the free portion of it for now. I'll make the call on buying in once I go through my course. I used his videos to setup my L and R reg sets. Still not sure on my transmitter placement, but that's something easy enough to mount around. Somewhere I have that photo, I'll attach it if I can find it. I don't like it facing forward, but I don't like it jammed under my armpit either... Tips?
Weeeeee

Ditch the SPG, out the transmitter there. Or ditch the transmitter and leave the SPG. Dual is silly.

You really want modular valves that have a cross bar plug. It is very unlikely you ever get your AL cylinders torqued properly with the valves you have on.

Please throw the stage rigging away or sell it. Single boltsnap, Paracord, boltsnap.

I enjoy the "feeling" of having to be aware and tracking things while I'm diving, as opposed to just "going for a swim."
In time it'll become more 2nd nature.

Weeeeee

Ditch the SPG, out the transmitter there. Or ditch the transmitter and leave the SPG. Dual is silly.

You really want modular valves that have a cross bar plug. It is very unlikely you ever get your AL cylinders torqued properly with the valves you have on.

Please throw the stage rigging away or sell it. Single boltsnap, Paracord, boltsnap.
I''ll play devil's advocate here. This is fine advice, however, I don't think it's necessarily this "objective"

• If one has AI, an backup SPG almost certainly isn't really needed. However, if it's out of the way, there's not that much cost to having one. I like having one for quickly checking tank-pressure, without having to pair with my dive-watch.
  • Modular valves are much nicer. It's too bad that DGX ones went from $40 to about $75. That said, I've dove plenty of tanks without modular valves, so it's not necessarily something you have to rush out and buy tomorrow. Nor is it going to ruin the dive if you have to borrow or rent a tank which doesn't have a modular valve.
  • The rigging won't be a hinderance. Trying both systems (especially if one already has the rigging) can help with understanding the pros and the cons. The paracord-bolt-snap rigging though works for outfitting a bunch of tanks and not having to swap nearly as often.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
The rigging I have on that tank was for that tank. I have 2 AL80 with modular and plugged tank valves (left and right), just waiting to get them back from Hydro/Vis. That is the only other tank I have that's both DIN and Yoke (my boys dive yoke, and my BP/W is yoke). I got that rigging just for training so if I need to swap tanks, I don't have to rely just on the 2 that I will have set as dedicated for SMing. As for running the SPG and the AI, I talked it over with my trainer, and he's adamant about redundancy, and said at least for my courses he would like to see an SPG on there. After that, it's obviously up to me what I'm comfortable with. I'll be taking his deco classes as well, which I would need to have them on there again, so for now, I'm comfortable with them on there. The SPG rides right behind my arm, so I'm not worried about any additional snagging issues with it, and honestly, I still run an SPG and AI on my BP/W setup.

If you weren't using transmitters, would he require two SPGs?
Agreed - Pick one.

If you loose an SPG while diving, you call the dive. Same with transmitter.
Benefit with the transmitter is some failure modes means no air loss when your transmitter fails. Others (o-ring, etc) are the same failure.

I am going to state what some hear may agree with and many hate: There is no substitution for taking a proper sm course with someone who dives that configuration almost exclusively. The setup alone in a proper course is worth it's weight in gold. Happy to hear you are taking a course, however until then, you are basically trying to dial in something you can't dial in, so at least have some fun.

As for your tank rigging, you are using stage rigging for sidemount. It is not remotely ideal. All you need is a worm gear clamp for each cylinder, two bolt snaps, two double enders and some paracord. As well as some bungee or purposely made hose retainers (I love mine from D'Luxe Dive Gear) The key is a properly fitted harness and good measurements which are measured from the right spots on your body and harness. This measurement is something many people get wrong.

Someone said you can't get good cylinder trim without modular valves. That is 100% incorrect. Modular valves are amazing. I love them as they allow me to have the valve wheels where I want them in a perfect world. However, I am currently waiting on a delivery of new modular valves to our dive center and have been diving standard valves for 6 months straight. I have zero issues with cylinder trim. Again, it is all about the setup.

As for sliding d-rings.....it is one solution that many use. I have even used them myself for almost a year and half. After much faffing and never really being happy with the trim while using them and constantly checking them, I did some research and reached out to some of the best SM instructors and instructor trainers I know. I now use two d-rings on each side of my harness. One for the start of the dive and the forward d-rings for when they get to a certain pressure. One move per cylinder on each dive and no more faffing or using your thighs every couple minutes to check if they are still in trim or need to be moved yet again. This takes some work, some measurements and proper positioning of the bolt snap on the cylinder. But it is a joy to dive once it is dialed in. Slidng d-rings is a solution, IMO, to poor skills and knowledge of the SM system. But by all means, use them if that is what you want, many people love them. I said all that so that you are aware there is another way and it can be great.

I do not understand any instructor who says you need SPGs when you have transmitters. The "redundancy" argument makes zero sense unless that instructor dives with two SPGs per cylinder. If he or she doesn't, then it is a technology bias.

Lastly, being in the Midwest, if you can find the time to get down to Florida, I suggest one of the best SM instructors on the planet. Ryan Custureri at Aqui WaterSports in Lauderdale By The Sea. The way he teaches the setup for cylinders and the Xdeep rig adjustments is the best I have seen and that alone is worth the money.

I know that was a lot but I believe in SM, I dive it exclusively except for when I have to teach a course I can't use it on and when I am on the rebreather. I believe many struggle with it due to poor instruction and many others don't even know they have ill-fitting setups, but I see these people as we pass by underwater. Don't struggle...get top instruction and then go enjoy the joys and freedom of sidemount diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom