"Sidemounting With Benefits" - Lessons from a newbie Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I thought this might be a fun thread, where I share observations, lessons, and situations I'm facing as a newbie sidemount diver. It's likely I'll embarrass myself and invite plenty of critique by creating this thread (be nice), but it's better to take & share learning opportunities than hide in silent shame. I'll add new posts to this thread as I encounter new things, and have more dives. If newbies annoy you, or you hate long threads, this is probably not the thread for you.

For context, I'm following SideMounting.com which I highly recommend in addition to an in-person class! I made my way through a little over half of his sidemount videos before entering the water. I'm also using a sidemount harness & wing. I also do not have an in-person instructor at this time, there's a good chance I'll pursue that at some point (it would require travel). I am accepting the additional challenges and responsibilities of that.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't recommend self-teaching or online-only side-mount to most people. You'll probably need an autodidact (self-teaching) personality, not easily frustrated, and plenty of time. An in-person instructor will save anyone significant amounts of time & frustration, and make the process much safer. With that out of the way...

[Part 1]

Having heard stories about annoyingly slow sidemount divers, I did my best to not obstruct dive-site entrances and exits. Unfortunately, my options were limited at the dive-site I chose, because there were only a few stairs into the water & the shore was steep & rocky. I did end up blocking one diver for about 3 minutes as I fumbled with gear, and apologized, but he was super-chill about it and encouraged me to be safe and not rush.

Speaking of which, a rocky and steep entrance (with stairs) was a very poor choice, given my inexperience. To be fair, I'm not sure where I can find a beach-like dive-entrance nearby, but I will be exploring a few other sites. Doning Tanks was far more challenging and slower than expected, complicated by the environment. That causes me to realize I need to practice doning on land, with the videos available as reference. Sidemounting.com does demonstrate practice on land using a table to support the tanks in a couple videos & does recommend your initial doning & doffing be done in shallow standing-height waters.

As another minor lesson, my first dive I had a dive-helmet with a camera equipped, that I really wanted to try out. I was quickly reminded of something I already "know" but allowed myself to "forget" which is when trying something unfamiliar, keep it simple, and don't add additional unfamiliar equipment or skills, and ditched the helmet after that dive.

When actually diving, it was mostly great! The dive was very much safety-first. I practiced regulator switching at the surface, face-down in the water for about 15 minutes. Next, I descended to about 15-20ft, and practiced buoyancy and tank-trim, ensuring I could easily inflate and deflate. I felt confident enough to do a full dive, but kept things simple and safe and hung around the dive-platform. The only two problems I experienced was I had too much weight (which I expected) and weight was too low on my harness, resulting in naturally-vertical trim. None of that was a big deal, but could only be fixed by doffing my harness, so it had to wait.

When I went for my second dive, there were a lot of active dive groups, and I ended up waiting about 30 minutes for an opening. Then I noticed my BCD wasn't holding air. Short story was my DIY extended pull cord over the shoulder had somehow shortened itself (due to water?) so I had to exit completely to where my save-a-dive kit was and fix. I had a DSMB and lift bag on me, and it was a shore-entrance, so not really a safety hazard even if the problem started in the water. By the time I fixed that, waited for more dive groups, and got in the water, I was watching a lovely sunset. After fumbling with doning again, it was nearly dark, so I just practiced a few skills on the surface before doffing. I have training and plenty of experience in dark & low-visibility diving, but with an abundance of caution wanted to avoid complicating things unnecessarily.

There was also some fumbling with the regulators. I had some slight difficulty finding the regulators quickly/consistently. They were a little too close together, and my hoses were routed incorrectly on the 2nd "dive" (the sunset one). Not a big deal, I need to adjust my regulator-necklace setup & practice donning. That was one of those things where I just had to get in the water, to discover what I needed to fix or work on.

Fumbling aside, a few things I did right:
  • Paid for and used what training I could access.
  • Equipment was good for the most part.
  • Abundance of caution & staying safe.
  • Adequate save-a-dive kit.
  • I had a lot of time, and wasn't rushing anywhere.
  • I learned several things & got a good idea what I need to work on next.
Overall, it was fun and relaxing! It might sound fumbling and frustrating, but that's because those are the only interesting parts of the story.

I watched all the videos and went to Florida to get the physical course and would say Steve has the best videos I have seen. When I returned I did a ton of pool dives to get that donning and doffing fluid. And after any lull in diving I will do some dry drills like he shows on the table.

I’ve watched a few of those videos and they are good, unfortunately I haven’t seen any for cold water diving.

You seem to be cautious and think things through but I strongly recommend an in person course sooner than later; easier to learn then re-learn from misinterpretation or bad habits.

A few questions:
What are you using for a wing and harness set?
What are you using for tanks and regulators?
Are you using a long hose on the right and are you familiar with the S drill?
What is your thermal protection, wet or dry?

If you are going to continue this path solo, set up a gopro on a rock so you can record yourself doing skills and to check your trim and tank positioning.

unfortunately I haven’t seen any for cold water diving.
It really shouldn't be any different. Nonetheless, there's a video on Cold Water and Florida Cave Diving Advice under the steel cylinder and drysuit section. With practice, you can even use the same small boltsnaps.

I watched all the videos and went to Florida to get the physical course and would say Steve has the best videos I have seen. When I returned I did a ton of pool dives to get that donning and doffing fluid. And after any lull in diving I will do some dry drills like he shows on the table.
Steve's videos are awesome. I wish I had the money & time right now to travel and attend his in-person classes.

I’ve watched a few of those videos and they are good, unfortunately I haven’t seen any for cold water diving.

You seem to be cautious and think things through but I strongly recommend an in person course sooner than later; easier to learn then re-learn from misinterpretation or bad habits.

A few questions:
What are you using for a wing and harness set?
What are you using for tanks and regulators?
Are you using a long hose on the right and are you familiar with the S drill?
What is your thermal protection, wet or dry?
  • Wing is the Scubapro XTek Sidemount wing. Harness is a custom one, using the shoulder/lumber backplate from Piranha.
  • Tanks are Aluminum 80s, with modular left/right valves.
  • Regulators: Scubapro MK10, G250, with 30in/7ft LP hose, short SPG & BCD hoses. I need a couple DIN adapters, but should have that soon.
  • S-Drill - I learned it recently, but haven't practiced it much yet. I often dive solo.
  • 5mm wetsuit & hood. 1mm gloves. Water temperature was quite warm.
20210704_135555-copy-jpg.669338.jpg

20210704_140509-copy-jpg.669340.jpg

If you are going to continue this path solo, set up a gopro on a rock so you can record yourself doing skills and to check your trim and tank positioning.
Absolutely. I bought an Action-Camera precisely to record my sidemounting skills. The helmet referenced in Part-1 had the ActionCam & lights on it, and it can double as a tripod, though I also ordered a tripod. I may need a few more days of practice with sidemount before I add the helmet back in.

I did the trim-checks shown in the sidemounting.com videos, and after adjustment, it seemed good from what I could tell by feel. Like you said, getting it on video would have provided better feedback.

I've seen so many SM videos that I thought I could have a go at it without an instructor, but after much thought I decided against it and was glad I went through the class. I haven't been diving long, only have around 55 dives, but I've taken a lot of courses to hone my skills and to learn as much as possible. With that being said, the SM course was the MOST demanding course I have ever taken.

The drills were amazing but after doing 'out of air' drill number 80 (maybe not that many but it felt like) it, I was told that we were going to do more on dive #4. I asked why because it had been covered so well in dives 1-3 and the response was, that it will be become muscle memory before I pass the course.

I highly recommend you dive with a (good) instructor ASAP.

It really shouldn't be any different. Nonetheless, there's a video on Cold Water and Florida Cave Diving Advice under the steel cylinder and drysuit section. With practice, you can even use the same small boltsnaps.
It is different. Do you side mount dive dry, with dry gloves and liners in 36F water?

Manipulating the bottom bolt-snap to pivot a tank bare hand in a pool is significantly easier and your range of motion better without a dry suit and thermals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom