Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AC never ever deter hungry female mossie needing fresh blood to reproduce!
For me it is chemical warfare + big net(for sleeping). A powerful fan is an added bonus

The world of divers can be divided in people who would never book a trip if the resort would not have air conditioning and the ones who NEVER want to use it. Sleep is not less important than food for your health and well being. In general humans prefer a safe, clean, quiet, dark, insect free and cool place to sleep. As all resorts we try it as best we can to supply that. At our Weda Resort at Halmahera the environment around the resort became much more noisy during the evening and early morning the last year. Mostly because of a new road and electricity in the nearby village. Until now we never considered installing airco's in this resort. During the night the air temperature drops to 25/26 degrees and we seldom (not never) had guests complaining about the heat. Because I do not have much else to do at the moment I am thinking how to improve our resorts. My idea is to make sleep cabins in the cottages. Purely to sleep. The guests should be able to adjust the level and temperature of the light. Fresh dry and a bit cooler, air should come in from a small airconditioner and the "used" air flows out again (no circulation of used air). The dimension I have in mind are L 2.60 W 240 and H 220. Main goal is that the room is soundproof and the perfect place to sleep. I post this because I hope to get some feedback and adjust my ideas. Thanks, Rob
Hello. I'm very impressed with your post, and the thoughtfulness behind it. I've seen many, many businesses raking the profit, but not putting money back into the establishment. It's nice too see someone willing to spend money, in order to make money. I personally have trouble going back to sleep after being woken up. A sound proof room would have great appeal.
Cheers.

Excellent! Where's the funicular? :p
Bungalow "Penyu" has airconditioning as well. But also ventialtion openings which can either be opened or closed and a large ceiling fan. Insect free and spacious, although not as large as Musang. Situated at same level as the restaurant.

How much do you want to squander resources like electricity, Indah? Minimal a/c, bedroom only, would be my choice.

Mine choice too. The split 1/2 HP inverter AC of LG can be set to 40% power consumption. I want to place a thermostat in the sleeping part. The indoor unit outside the "bedroom". Only airflow coming in.

Coming out of left field a little.. if the aim was to retain the eco look & feel, have a silent system and just 'take the edge off'.. I wonder if something like under floor cooling with chilled water (especially if you were lucky enough to have a ground source of colder water). Open ceiling could be retained as hot air rises, and the pumps can be located away from the site keeping noise low. No idea about efficiency or cost..

I wish we had that easy access to water, and especially cold water. But even than it would be hard to have air with low humidity in the bedroom. Thanks.

hello guys
I have recently seen an add for a solar powered split aircon unit, would it not alleviate at least one of the problems?
You could also ask SONY for a few of the new headphones LOL

In japan it’s very common for one large room to have sliding panels with just enough room behind for a bed. That area is then air conditioned for sleeping. It’s effectively what you’re talking about here: a small AC unit so it can be eco friendly, and just enough to cool the bed for sleeping. I think it’s a fine idea. I don’t think you need to overdo it for sound proofing, for example. Just a cool place to sleep and if it is too loud, earplugs!

Back
Top Bottom