Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it could work. Might be a bit of a design nightmare?
Maybe not if we keep it simple. It is just a place to sleep, or whatever people do in bed. Thick (40 cm ?) walls, thick door and very well isolated ceiling. Dimensions inside about 2.70 x 2.40 x 2.10 inside. Only one door, no windows. Light and climate control. Sort of sleeping cave.

Maybe not if we keep it simple. It is just a place to sleep, or whatever people do in bed. Thick (40 cm ?) walls, thick door and very well isolated ceiling. Dimensions inside about 2.70 x 2.40 x 2.10 inside. Only one door, no windows. Light and climate control. Sort of sleeping cave.

Perhaps two doors that open fully away from one another so that one side of bed can be fully exposed for sitting ?

Are there already other chairs in the room?

Perhaps two doors that open fully away from one another so that one side of bed can be fully exposed for sitting ?

Yes the room has a couple of chairs, desk and cupboard. And the porch has lazy chairs, a table and hammock. The thing is that we want to keep it as energy friendly as possible. The guests should keep the door of the sleeping compartiment closed as much as possible.

Forgot to mention that the first 3 cottages we want to build the sleeping compartiment in have 2 rooms (both 4.00 x 5.00, very well ventilated and with ceiling fans) and a porch (under the roof) of 4.00 x 5.00. So, plenty of space outside the compartiment.

Yes the room has a couple of chairs, desk and cupboard. And the porch has lazy chairs, a table and hammock. The thing is that we want to keep it as energy friendly as possible. The guests should keep the door of the sleeping compartiment closed as much as possible.

I assumed that the AC would only be turned on by the guest when they actually crawled into bed. I was trying to envision it as a part of the room rather than a sleeping pod.

Hey Indah, a bit late, but here are my 2c.

To be honest your idea sounds a bit like a prison cell to me. Ventilated/air conditioned one but still, no lights? no windows? and closed door?? I would never sleep in such a thing even if it was free of charge... Keep in mind I am a bit claustrophobic - but that's just me.

The obvious idea would be new air conditioned rooms with proper sound proof walls (eg brick or similar) and good screened windows/doors - but I 'd guess this would be too expensive or unfeasible in your case.

I've spend 3 weeks sleeping in huts (home stays) in Raja Ampat and several other nights here and there throughout Indonesia. I never had problems with heat during the night as the huts as usually very well ventilated and the night breeze does wonders. Mosquitoes can be a problem but a net and some skin protection usually does the trick. Noise can be a real issue though.

Please if you make these cubicles, leave some traditional rooms without them in case I ever make it there :)
All the best

To keep out mosquitoes, consider adding a screen vestibule... an additional door / screened in porch outside of the main door.

Yes, great suggestion! I have started traveling with a backpacking tent recently that is basically all mesh and ditched the rain fly. It works brilliantly and is pretty lightweight and compact! Even with an AC room, the rogue few skeeters still make it in. My friends make fun of me but so long as I am bite-free and not itchy, I am happy. :) It zips tightly so is totally sealed.

There was a third place but at this moment, I can't recall where it was but it had a similar weave ceiling. The geckos there did not poop on me but they were very annoying nonetheless.

My dad's house had the loudest gecko that I have ever heard. I never did see it but it quite often woke me from a sound sleep in my air conditioned room. The gecko was not in my room. It may not even have been in the house. It was so loud that it sounded like duck quacking.

Funny you should say this. For the longest time, I thought it was a bird until someone told me it was a gecko. Hehehe.

Yes, great suggestion! I have started traveling with a backpacking tent recently that is basically all mesh and ditched the rain fly. It works brilliantly and is pretty lightweight and compact! Even with an AC room, the rogue few skeeters still make it in. My friends make fun of me but so long as I am bite-free and not itchy, I am happy. :) It zips tightly so is totally sealed.

Funny you should say this. For the longest time, I thought it was a bird until someone told me it was a gecko. Hehehe.

It's called Toke or Tokay because it make sound like "took kee". It feeds on insects. So it helps reducing the mosquito infestation, but the sounds is just horrendous.

Don't you hear it saying "gecko" after the chattering? Lol

Back
Top Bottom