Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Indah,

I visited Laguna Beach Resort a few years back. We complimented the owner on his nice individual cottages. He said that he asked about AC when he built the place. He said another resort owner told him to think about the couple from Minnesota, Canada, the UP of Michigan, or northern Europe.

In the summer they have many nights that can be about 15℃ with relatively low humidity. Many nights are warmer. During the winter they may have night time temps that are between -12℃ to -30℃ ( minus 20℉). Don't get me started on the Siberian Express!

And as the resort owner's friend told Laguna's owner: "You expect that couple to sleep in the tropics after coming from lows that are well below zero in the winter and 60℉ in the summer?"

Not going to happen! They are not acclimated to warm moist nights.

cheers,
m²V2

"moist nights"? Really?

Thanks for your kind input. I never heard about this before. But I saw people reacting very bad to mosquitos and even more to sandflies. We usually give them Loratadine, but I guess that does not work in your case. In my idea the sleeping compartiment would be very easy to keep insect free. Because it would have only one door which you should be keep closed anyway. I understand your preference for staying on a boat. By the way, we use a repellent here with only 12% deet. Much less aggresive and protect as good, although not as long against mosquitos.

Thank you for being receptive to my feedback and experiences. I have had great luck with 20% picaridin. I prefer it over DEET as DEET, when it leaks, can/will actually eat through a plastic bag if it is stored in that! I found a scent-free version which is great, especially after a shower if we must go out. Prior to this, I had great luck with DEET, as you say, and used 15%. :) I have also had luck using one of these and travel with it. Radius Zone Mosquito Repellent - Gen 2.0 It doesn't use butane cartridges and mats like their other models so is travel friendly and for outdoor use only. I can keep mosquito-free without using a spray and it covers a large enough area for a few of us to sit together. Scent-free, so a nice alternative to the mosquito coils when outside.

I'll have to add your resort to the list once the AC is up and running! :D

To keep out mosquitoes, consider adding a screen vestibule... an additional door / screened in porch outside of the main door.

To keep out mosquitoes, consider adding a screen vestibule... an additional door / screened in porch outside of the main door.
The current cottages are build in a traditional way. This means they have open ceilings. That is why we have mosquito nets above the beds.
thumbs_cottage_7_bedroom_weda_resort.jpg

I need the coolness and like the white noise. I come from a cool dry place.

I will accept a great room for dining that is open to the elements without AC. It's not my favourite (but I understand) and as long as the food is edible and the diving is what I'm after, then I can handle it, but not the sleeping with no AC. I've tried and it's horrific to me. I've even been in a Minahasa style cabin that was so adorable, that I was enchanted. It had AC but so many ways for outside air to enter that the AC couldn't cool the room enough for me. I had to be moved to a much less enchanting room that had a more conventional build. It was perfect for me.

I need the coolness and like the white noise. I come from a cool dry place.

I will accept a great room for dining that is open to the elements without AC. It's not my favourite (but I understand) and as long as the food is edible and the diving is what I'm after, then I can handle it, but not the sleeping with no AC. I've tried and it's horrific to me. I've even been in a Minahasa style cabin that was so adorable, that I was enchanted. It had AC but so many ways for outside air to enter that the AC couldn't cool the room enough for me. I had to be moved to a much less enchanting room that had a more conventional build. It was perfect for me.
What do you think of my idea of building "a room in a room"?

Thank you all for your thoughts. Indeed I probably do not hear much complaints because the people who want AC never came. So obvious that I did not think about that :). We always tried to use a little energy as possible. And we get much power from our solar power installation. But we are connected to the grid since last year as well. My idea was to built the sleeping compartiments in 5 of our cottages only. I think that if I can limit the space of the sleeping part to 15m3, a 500W AC, set a 40% power would be more than enough. If we would want to cool the whole cottage it would use indeed lots of energy, and it would be very hard to isolate it aginst sound and insects. We will put an adjustable thermostate in the compartiment. I really like the idea of getting fresh dry air in lower to the floor and letting the warmer (used) air flow out at the ceiling. Thi would prevent the problems which people describe who do not want to have AC. What I like too is the idea that you can adjust the brightness and the temperature of the light. The indoor unit would be placed outside the sleeping compartiment and the outdoor unit outside the cottage. The cottage are rather far from each other, but anyway we have to prevent they disturb the guests next door. Our restaurant is very spacious and open without getting direct sunlight inside. I think that the ceiling fans with an extra standing fan still will do. More feedback is very welcome. We still have plenty of time to expiriment and adjust our ideas. One of the most difficult things is how to keep the low frequency out. The period around New Year was rather disturbing last year because of the parties in the villages. I think to build 40 cm thick stone walls and a thick coconut wooden ceiling. No windows and only one heavy wooden door. But again, advice more than welcome.

Hahaha

The temperature in my lovely room at another resort was perfect but the geckos were very loud. Because the room was closed up to contain the AC, there were no nets around the bed. I had a gecko poop on me more than once.. This was all a minor annoying amusement but the music from the villagers at 5 am was brutal!!

Hahaha

The temperature in my lovely room at another resort was perfect but the geckos were very loud. Because the room was closed up to contain the AC, there were no nets around the bed. I had a gecko poop on me more than once.. This was all a minor annoying amusement but the music from the villagers at 5 am was brutal!!
When I spent some weeks at Bali I experienced that. large droppings everywhere, especially on the bed. We never had that at our resorts. Maybe because they are different species or we took cre not to have lights directly above the bed (and tables). Anyway, the sleeping compartiments we want to make should be free of any animal, crawling or/and flying. And, most of all, quiet.

What do you think of my idea of building "a room in a room"?

I think it could work. Might be a bit of a design nightmare?

When I spent some weeks at Bali I experienced that. large droppings everywhere, especially on the bed. We never had that at our resorts. Maybe because they are different species or we took cre not to have lights directly above the bed (and tables). Anyway, the sleeping compartiments we want to make should be free of any animal, crawling or/and flying. And, most of all, quiet.

There was a third place but at this moment, I can't recall where it was but it had a similar weave ceiling. The geckos there did not poop on me but they were very annoying nonetheless.

My dad's house had the loudest gecko that I have ever heard. I never did see it but it quite often woke me from a sound sleep in my air conditioned room. The gecko was not in my room. It may not even have been in the house. It was so loud that it sounded like duck quacking.

Back
Top Bottom