Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And from the opposite viewpoint...please leave some rooms unscreened. As bizarre as it sounds i like wildlife in my room. A few of the most magical nights sleep I ever had in Ternate were watching fireflies float around, frogs make the leap from the windows ledge to the floor and tokay less rooms dont feel the same. I'm sure Pak Hasrun thought I was insane but...i like fresh air. Have you thought about the Mingankabau style slatted windows?

Hey Indah, a bit late, but here are my 2c.

To be honest your idea sounds a bit like a prison cell to me. Ventilated/air conditioned one but still, no lights? no windows? and closed door?? I would never sleep in such a thing even if it was free of charge... Keep in mind I am a bit claustrophobic - but that's just me.

The obvious idea would be new air conditioned rooms with proper sound proof walls (eg brick or similar) and good screened windows/doors - but I 'd guess this would be too expensive or unfeasible in your case.

I've spend 3 weeks sleeping in huts (home stays) in Raja Ampat and several other nights here and there throughout Indonesia. I never had problems with heat during the night as the huts as usually very well ventilated and the night breeze does wonders. Mosquitoes can be a problem but a net and some skin protection usually does the trick. Noise can be a real issue though.

Please if you make these cubicles, leave some traditional rooms without them in case I ever make it there :)
All the best
Prison cell does not sound as bad as coffin and that is what some friends of mine replied :). The reason to start to think about this solution is that the noise from early morning traffic and sometimes nightly parties in the villages disturbs the sleep too much. This is a new situation and the first 9 years we did fine, although clearly missing the guests who prefer air conditioning the other guests did not think it was too warm at night and the mosquito nets did their job. But we still will have the traditional cottages as well and even the possibility to sleep in a tent. The volume of the "prison-cell" I have in mind will have the same size as the average cabin on a live aboard and larger than the pod of a capsule hotel. And, once more, it would be only to sleep. The light will be adjustable in temperature (red - blue) and the air temperature adjustable as well. I try to find a way to keep the noise out, have fresh, cool and dry air and pleasant lightning. The rest of the cottage will be as it is now. Very spacious bathroom (2.00 x 3.00), two rooms (with one having the sleeping part inside) and a large porch. Please, altrnatives very welcome.

And from the opposite viewpoint...please leave some rooms unscreened. As bizarre as it sounds i like wildlife in my room. A few of the most magical nights sleep I ever had in Ternate were watching fireflies float around, frogs make the leap from the windows ledge to the floor and tokay less rooms dont feel the same. I'm sure Pak Hasrun thought I was insane but...i like fresh air. Have you thought about the Mingankabau style slatted windows?
In my own house at Weda Resort we are having all kind of animals visiting and flying through. I love it. I never sleep with airconditioning myself. Not even in the big cities here. We will keep at least 4 rooms as they are now. (And supply earplugs).

Yes, great suggestion! I have started traveling with a backpacking tent recently that is basically all mesh and ditched the rain fly. It works brilliantly and is pretty lightweight and compact! Even with an AC room, the rogue few skeeters still make it in. My friends make fun of me but so long as I am bite-free and not itchy, I am happy. :) It zips tightly so is totally sealed.

Funny you should say this. For the longest time, I thought it was a bird until someone told me it was a gecko. Hehehe.

I don't entirely get what it is you do? Do you remake your bed inside the tent?

I've wrapped myself in net but that didn't work very well. I've been considering making myself collapsible net box that goes over my head cus I can keep the sheet over my body and shoulders if there's aircon.

In my own house at Weda Resort we are having all kind of animals visiting and flying through. I love it. I never sleep with airconditioning myself. Not even in the big cities here. We will keep at least 4 rooms as they are now. (And supply earplugs).

I have been known to sleep without it but it's rare and I have to have been in country for quite awhile first.

L 2.70 x W 2.40 x H 2.10
For all us non-metric folks that have trouble picturing this, about L 8'10" x W 7'10" x H 6'11"

The sleeping cabin idea is creative and might be a solution for some that care, but I don't know if it would be enough to attract me. I'd still be sweating and bug-eaten in the rest of the room and not be able to enjoy it, just hiding in the little AC area as much as possible. (I'm a bit claustrophobic too, actually have trouble sleeping in certain liveaboard setups and don't see myself being able to tolerate a capsule hotel, hard to guess how I'd react to this room. I will never be a cave diver...)

I usually enjoy wildlife in my room, as long as it's a non-biting variety.

For all us non-metric folks that have trouble picturing this, about L 8'10" x W 7'10" x H 6'11"

The sleeping cabin idea is creative and might be a solution for some that care, but I don't know if it would be enough to attract me. I'd still be sweating and bug-eaten in the rest of the room and not be able to enjoy it, just hiding in the little AC area as much as possible. (I'm a bit claustrophobic too, actually have trouble sleeping in certain liveaboard setups and don't see myself being able to tolerate a capsule hotel, hard to guess how I'd react to this room. I will never be a cave diver...)

I usually enjoy wildlife in my room, as long as it's a non-biting variety.
You would love our two very spacious airconditioned cottages at our Divers Lodge Lembeh.
MUSANG - Divers Lodge Lembeh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom