Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't entirely get what it is you do? Do you remake your bed inside the tent?

I've wrapped myself in net but that didn't work very well. I've been considering making myself collapsible net box that goes over my head cus I can keep the sheet over my body and shoulders if there's aircon.

I have The North Face's Stormbreak 1 which is a 1-person tent that is super lightweight. It fits on twin beds but can also plop onto a double or larger if needed. I throw the pillow in there and then throw the blankets in there. It's no-see-um mesh so it keeps out even the finest of bugs. I still get some privacy at the bottom which is nice and in an aircon room, it's fine. I haven't tried it in a non-air con room to be able to comment on air flow or how it feels. It is tall enough for an adult to sit up in without hitting the top but you obviously can't stand. :) It is a side entry door and is quite large. There are slots inside it to hold my phone and other accessories that I want including eye mask and earpugs :D

This is what it looks like (not my picture, just taken from the internet, but it's the exact same item). I remove the fly (not pictured) that comes with it. It rolls up pretty small as the poles are collapsible and ultralight.

image.png

I briefly considered this item instead but some reviews suggested that it is not as reliable with constant opening/closing and the travel dimensions being flatter but wider. I went with the tent as I am more likely to use it for other outdoor activities and the length/width dimensions when rolled up worked better for my travel situation and bags but this is cheaper and also a good alternative: https://www.amazon.com/SansBug-1-Pe...hild=1&keywords=SANSBUG&qid=1597257445&sr=8-1

Pretty much immune to mosquito bites (Time in northern Canadian prairie in the military) but I have seen people react really badly - exposed skin blow up like a ballon! This is a good idea!

we
hello guys
I have recently seen an add for a solar powered split aircon unit, would it not alleviate at least one of the problems?
You could also ask SONY for a few of the new headphones LOL
We have a solar power installation with battery bank and controllers and inverter. More efficient.

In my own house at Weda Resort we are having all kind of animals visiting and flying through. I love it. I never sleep with airconditioning myself. Not even in the big cities here. We will keep at least 4 rooms as they are now. (And supply earplugs).

Awesome - Id like to book a room in your house thanks Indah

FWIW: I appreciate staying in places that don't attract the sorts who come to the most remote parts of Indonesia and complain about frogs, birds, geckos, roosters, and mosques.

@Indah I am heading to your place sooner rather than later. That is, of course, assuming I have not forgotten how to dive. :) :(

hello guys
I have recently seen an add for a solar powered split aircon unit, would it not alleviate at least one of the problems?
You could also ask SONY for a few of the new headphones LOL
Those solar units don't work that well while people are sleeping.

Those solar units don't work that well while people are sleeping.
Of course a battery bank would be needed. A central solar power system would be more efficient.

FWIW: I appreciate staying in places that don't attract the sorts who come to the most remote parts of Indonesia and complain about frogs, birds, geckos, roosters, and mosques.

@Indah I am heading to your place sooner rather than later. That is, of course, assuming I have not forgotten how to dive. :) :(
Hahaha...in some cultures complaining is as common as talking about the weather in the Netherlands. Every sentence which starts with a positive will have a "but" halfway.

Hahaha...in some cultures complaining is as common as talking about the weather in the Netherlands. Every sentence which starts with a positive will have a "but" halfway.

Haha! Lee Kuan Yew used to say Singaporeans are champion grumblers! Its quite true!

I have The North Face's Stormbreak 1 which is a 1-person tent that is super lightweight. It fits on twin beds but can also plop onto a double or larger if needed. I throw the pillow in there and then throw the blankets in there. It's no-see-um mesh so it keeps out even the finest of bugs. I still get some privacy at the bottom which is nice and in an aircon room, it's fine. I haven't tried it in a non-air con room to be able to comment on air flow or how it feels. It is tall enough for an adult to sit up in without hitting the top but you obviously can't stand. :) It is a side entry door and is quite large. There are slots inside it to hold my phone and other accessories that I want including eye mask and earpugs :D

This is what it looks like (not my picture, just taken from the internet, but it's the exact same item). I remove the fly (not pictured) that comes with it. It rolls up pretty small as the poles are collapsible and ultralight.

View attachment 604333

I briefly considered this item instead but some reviews suggested that it is not as reliable with constant opening/closing and the travel dimensions being flatter but wider. I went with the tent as I am more likely to use it for other outdoor activities and the length/width dimensions when rolled up worked better for my travel situation and bags but this is cheaper and also a good alternative: https://www.amazon.com/SansBug-1-Pe...hild=1&keywords=SANSBUG&qid=1597257445&sr=8-1

I like the sansbug one better cuz like the flipup idea but it won't fit in the suitcase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom